Rust Bullet Paint

Started by cdnmini, March 02, 2021, 05:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdnmini

Has anyone used this product on their mini to help keep the tin worm away?
Painted my spare front subframe last year with this product, but was wondering what peoples personal experience is with this paint.
Have used Por-15 in the past, with good results, but not fun to work with.
Phil

MiniDave

Why do people say that about POR? I've heard folks claim that it won't come off if you get it on your skin, a little lacquer thinner on a cloth took it right off me. It went on really smooth and laid out nice once it cured.....I was pretty happy with how easy it was to use......and it looked great - really shiny, almost like porcelain.

As for Rust Bullet, I've never tried it.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cdnmini

Por-15 is still doing its job after 10 years. So no complaints there.
You had better luck getting it off your skin then I did.
Had latex gloves on, but didnt notice that they had ripped in few places.
By the time I was finished painting the underbody, my fingers were a mess.
Tried everything I had in the garage, unfortunately ended up wearing the paint for few weeks.

Interested just how the Rust Bullet paint holds-up without having to top coat it.
Phil

BruceK

So Rust-Bullet is UV stable? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

cdnmini

Thats what they claim, no top coat required.
One thing I did experience, you need to put two coats on.
First coat usually ends up with little bubbles.
Second coat seals that.

I also painted a rusty roll bar, which came out really good.
Time will tell....
Phil

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on March 02, 2021, 05:36:09 PM
Why do people say that about POR? I've heard folks claim that it won't come off if you get it on your skin, a little lacquer thinner on a cloth took it right off me. It went on really smooth and laid out nice once it cured.....I was pretty happy with how easy it was to use......and it looked great - really shiny, almost like porcelain.

As for Rust Bullet, I've never tried it.....

Because POR is a PIA to use store clean up etc....  It can work very well but can peel in sheets if not over rust depending on prep, the top coat can peel if the primer is not applied to POR while tacky, I like POR and it has a place but it has issues.
If it was easy you might be getting away with something or didn't need to topcoat and only painted over rust and nothing else in the area you used it. In the latter case, it's awesome.

MiniDave

I'm just using Rustoleum now, easy to use, easy to clean up, lasts well in our applications. not show quality but holds up well
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad