Might be painting a plane

Started by 94touring, June 15, 2010, 09:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Looks like I may be painting an airplane.  Talking to the guy and trying to see if it will work out for the both of us.  Lots O work.  We'll see what happens. 

Willie_B

A bit larger than a mini. Put some stripes on the bonnet and take some photos.

94touring

I am seriously thinking of painting it OEW with some kind of stripes. 

94touring

Looks like I got the go ahead to paint this thing.  Now the question is does anyone know anything about acrylic enamel paint?

94touring

Finally getting the deposit to start on the plane project.  I'll try and snap some photos next week.  I also have some airplane parts to paint for another guy soon.   

94touring

Just bought the paint materials and started degreasing the belly today.  Sucker is oily.   

azbornmini

Reading this thread just reminded me of when my dad use to rebuild little Piper Cubs in our carport.  He would get all the mechanical and framework done and tie the tail section in the back of a pickup and haul it down to Sky Harbor and skin it and install the wings.  That was a long time ago.

94touring

Today I got the left wing pretty much all stripped.  Still have a row of rivets to soda blast around and a flap to clean up.  Got about an 1/8th of the belly cleaned.  

94touring

Minicop

Are you going to paint it Creamsicle Orange ;D

No really, very cool. Are you doing a custom paint job for a rich executive or something?

Willie_B

It even has a neat little window so you can reach out and adjust the mirror.  :o

94touring

Painting it for a guy who is selling it.  I actually have a couple hundred hours in this ugly bastard too.  One time had an electrical failure, couldn't tell if the gear went down with the emergency extension, called my boss with my cell, he called the fire department, and I got to do an engine out approach with police and fireman standing by.  Was fun. 

Brad- only thing worse than sliders on a mini, the lack of window ventilation on a piper. 

AZ-  speaking of cubs.  This was in Tucson a few months ago at the air show. 

Minicop

It should't be flown if it can't function properly. It's not like a car, you can't just pull over.

94touring

Worked fine when I took off.  They keep flying with no electric anyways. 

Today got the right wing stripped down and most the belly degreased. 

94touring

Also, brought home a cargo door and some wing tips to paint for a 3rd guy.  I now have a total of 3 planes I'm doing paint work on.  Seems as soon as I started working on one and they realized I can paint, people came out of the wood work. 

MiniGene

Dan, is there any special considerations you have to take when painting an airplane vs a car?  Do you have to think about the weight of the paint and aerodynamics at all?

94touring

Well don't grind off the rivets for starters, lol.  Alumi prep and alodine the surface before primer.  Redo the weight and balance of the plane after its all said and done.  Thats about it as far as I know. 

94touring

In other plane painting related news, shot a baggage door for a guy using Sherwin Williams.  It was a base clear and layed out really nice.  Thought for a second I was getting orange peel while spraying the clear, but it flattened out great after a couple minutes. 

94touring

Got a wing primered, hoping to shoot the other one tomorrow and move onto the fuselage. 

MiniGene

What is the color scheme going to look like?

94touring

White and blue.  Blue wing tips, blue tail tips, blue on the fuselage from about the middle down.  So pretty standard for an airplane.  I got the other wing primered up today, the door, and a few panels around the door.  Already looks better than it did before with just primer on it. 

MiniGene

How come you never see guys rockin' (flyin') the primer look while they save up to finish the rest of the paint job on their plane?  LOL

94touring

It looks pretty cool primer gray, kind of military looking.

Minicop

94touring

Got the belly 90% degreased.  Bought some tooth brushes to go around some rivets under there and finish it off.  Prepped and primered the elevator today as well.  Tomorrow is a day full of flying so doubtful I'll get much done.