Trailer experts?

Started by 94touring, September 17, 2020, 06:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I had to run an errand using my trailer today, and noticed the lights weren't working, so when I got it home I carried a battery out and started testing it out. First thing I found was a broken ground wire right near the plug that goes to the car, so I fixed that but they still weren't lighting up properly, so I cleaned the two ground wire connections at the light clusters in the back and viola! everything came up bright again. Job done.

Just in time to sell it.

I have no place to park it now except the driveway, and the city has been going easy on parking violations (you're only allowed to have it in your driveway for 48 hours - it's been 5 months now) due to Covid, but I have a feeling they're going to ramp it back up again so it will have to go. Too bad, as it's been pretty useful, but now that I don't need to haul my ZTR back and forth to the south property, I really don't need it all that much. It's been handy tho on occasion, and the MINI tows it easily.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

My plugs from the trailer that go to my truck had just enough paint on them from assembly I would lose lights. 

MiniDave

I think I'll hang a "for sale" sign on mine and see how long I can get away with parking it here!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

cstudep

Curious as well, I have been looking for a small trailer I can pull behind my 4runner to haul my mower. I really like the small aluminum ones since they are lighter and my mower is a hog.

MiniDave

It's 5X8, I needed the 5' width for my ZTR which has a 52" deck. I've added the spare tire and holder, 3 newish tires, new wheel bearings and the front wheel/jack. The lights are newish LEDs and now they all work again!  ;D

I had marine plywood on the deck the whole time I owned it. but it finally delaminated so I took it off again and it just has the mesh deck now.

It tows really easily behind my MINI Clubman, takes a 1 7/8" ball, BTW - not the more common 2". I think my ZTR probably weighs 600lbs, towed it with no stress.

I like the aluminum trailers too  - especially one big enough to haul a Mini. Justin in NC bought one - said it was used to haul a side by side or ATV. Spendy tho - $2800 used, IIRC.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Yeah I was thinking one of the aluminum ones big enough to fit the mini would be perfect for the mower and the mini as my 20ft flat bed is a little over kill for hauling the mini around.

My mower is right around 1500lbs about the same as the mini LOL

MiniDave

This trailer is rated for 1500lbs, I don't think I've ever had more than 800-1000 on it. I moved my 2 tool boxes with it, they were 400 each......

If I had a 1500 lb mower I'd probably want something stronger, but that's going to be heavier too. In Kansas, under 2K lbs you don't need any license plates or reg, so no yearly fees.

What kind of lawn mower weighs 1500lbs and can ride on a 5X8 sized trailer?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

I should have said about 1500lbs, it officially weighs 1293lbs. according to the manual. I only know because when I went to pick it up in Des Moines I borrowed my dad's little 5x8 trailer so I did not have to take the 20ft flat bed. I knew his was a 1500lb trailer with about 1300lb payload so I looked it up to make sure.....just under the limit. It is a Scag Turf Tiger with the smallest 54" deck, It just fit on the trailer.

It worked and I got it home but I was sure to take it easy and made sure I had 2 spares just to be safe. Luckily they were the same exact wheel/tire that my pop up camper has so I had a few laying around.

The weight of the mower is the biggest reason I was looking at the aluminum trailers, that and I thought it would be a great idea to have one just big enough for the mini as well.

94touring

Just put 8 hours on the trailer and Justin had the thing all over moving into his shop this past month.  No more tire wear!  The two new front tires even have some remnants of new tire rubber dimple spike thingies.  Only thing I needed to do was once at Dave's was back the one wheel hub castle nut off one cotter pin hole.  It was heating up on the drive and spraying grease on the rim. Also felt hot to the touch.  No heating or grease issues on the drive back.

cstudep

Glad to hear it was an easy fix, there was still a lot of grease in there so figured that would fix it. I had a boat several years ago that had a single axle trailer, had the bearings fail and one of the wheels came off, that was interesting. Luckily I was just leaving a gas station so I was only going about 25mph. Since trailer axles are so standardized just about all the parts stores stock the bearings and seals, changed everything out on the side of the road and then headed for the lake.