Due to arrive soon

Started by 94touring, August 07, 2020, 01:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

It's super cool apparently.   So I'll see in  2 weeks

BruceK

I realize delivery was all FUBAR, but any pics of it to share?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

No pics but I'll post some up when I get home around the 4th.

94touring

Got it inside the shop.  Seems as though my winch has some issues which I'll have to dive into another day.  They also didn't send one damn piece of paperwork with it, but said that's coming separately...thanks for the heads up and dropping the ball on everything else.  The lack being on the part of the import company and not bugs n buses. 

Overall the bus is super cool.  A few things I may change.  It does have shore power but in Brazilian so I'll have to change the outlet.  No big deal.  I will probably remove the one overhead set of cabinets over the table along the windows as you can't sit on the bench seat behind the drivers seat.

Willie_B

Bus and babes. Whats not to like.

BruceK

That is so cool! Very happy for you guys.

Hey you mentioned shore power and I was curious and just looked it up: part of Brazil runs on 127V (Not a typo) and the other part of Brazil runs on 220V.   Wonder what your bus is set up for? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Good question. I'll dive into it and find out. Oh and it is a mini fridge.  The pump for the sink runs off a internal battery.

G67mcs

Looks great, love the awning!
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

MiniDave

Where are you going on your first trip in the magic bus?  77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on October 04, 2020, 08:42:44 AM
Where are you going on your first trip in the magic bus?  77.gif

Well, gotta get gas and oil in it and a battery.  Probably tomorrow try to get it running.  Overall it's very clean.  We're pulling the 67 in the shop this week to tear apart so need to be able to drive the bus in and out.

94touring

Lot's done today.  Oil change, new battery, and gas in it.  Got it to fire up and drive, although very slowly.  Couldn't get it over 60 and that was going downhill with the wind at my back.  The dizzy is about as worn on the inside of the cap as you could get it.  New dizzy will be ordered, which I need anyway if I hook up the amethyst or black box.  Need to hook my wideband up and see what the fuel is doing. Tires are different sozes from front to rear so new rubber ordered.  Brake lights don't work, which after sliding under found a prong broke off on the pressure sender off the master/servo.  The master is leaking so new one of those ordered too.  Steering wheel is huge.  Lots of slop in the wheel which maybe that's normal?  Took me awhile to figure out how to get it in reverse.  Shifts smoothly.  Took out the ceiling cabinetry as they really just get in the way.  Now we can sit at the bench and not have it hitting our head.  Those lights ran off the battery.  The shore power just goes to the fridge and it's the 127v version.  Behind the seats will be a great place to set up US shore power and add an outlet. Above the closet is a little shelf which may be another good spot for an outlet.  Probably run some string lights along the top where it meets the headliner.  Where the cabinets were screwed into metal will work good for screwing in some hooks for lights.  Also removed all the beach crap and double sided tape holding it in. 

cstudep

Taking out the ceiling cabinetry really opens it up, makes it look a lot bigger I think and I am sure that it feels a lot bigger inside with it gone.

Camping/traveling in such a vehicle is all about minimalism anyway and the more places you have to cram stuff the more likely you are to fill it up with stuff. Probably stuff you could really live without anyway.

Very cool vehicle!

94touring

The roof rack will carry the bulk of extra crap we may need.

BruceK

Quote from: cstudep on October 05, 2020, 12:59:02 PM

...the more places you have to cram stuff the more likely you are to fill it up with stuff. Probably stuff you could really live without anyway.

Truer words have never been spoken.  Crap definitely expands to fill the available space.  This applies to homes, garages, basements, storage units, etc.

On an entirely different subject totally unrelated to to the above,  ;D  I collect license plates as garage decoration and I would love to have one from Brazil.  Do you want to sell one from the bus?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Red Riley

If you haven't yet, go check out VW Life on YouTube and Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/VWLifeVW/
https://www.youtube.com/Vwlifevw?fbclid=IwAR0e6dRo5Ru95eX5CXF5e9oVFgs1UTU_sW7W7jYay7rIn_mglzXyo6gIr2w
I don't even own a VW, but these guys have tons of experience and they are always doing upgrades and maintaining old buses and bugs. And they have fun doing it.

MPlayle

Also, get a couple of manuals for the old air-cooled VWs.  If possible, get the John Muir book: "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive ..."

(Affectionately known as the "Idiot Manual"):

https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101

Jimini II

Quote from: 94touring on October 05, 2020, 12:37:53 PM
Lot's done today.  Oil change, new battery, and gas in it.  Got it to fire up and drive, although very slowly.  Couldn't get it over 60 and that was going downhill with the wind at my back.  The dizzy is about as worn on the inside of the cap as you could get it.  New dizzy will be ordered, which I need anyway if I hook up the amethyst or black box.  Need to hook my wideband up and see what the fuel is doing. Tires are different sozes from front to rear so new rubber ordered.  Brake lights don't work, which after sliding under found a prong broke off on the pressure sender off the master/servo.  The master is leaking so new one of those ordered too.  Steering wheel is huge.  Lots of slop in the wheel which maybe that's normal?  Took me awhile to figure out how to get it in reverse.  Shifts smoothly.  Took out the ceiling cabinetry as they really just get in the way.  Now we can sit at the bench and not have it hitting our head.  Those lights ran off the battery.  The shore power just goes to the fridge and it's the 127v version.  Behind the seats will be a great place to set up US shore power and add an outlet. Above the closet is a little shelf which may be another good spot for an outlet.  Probably run some string lights along the top where it meets the headliner.  Where the cabinets were screwed into metal will work good for screwing in some hooks for lights.  Also removed all the beach crap and double sided tape holding it in.

Cool Bus.

You may be able to adjust a lot of the free play out of the steering with a flat head screwdriver and a wrench, if the steering box is similar to the US ones of the 70's.

94touring

Tires, 3 prong brake switch, plugs, and electronic dizzy on the way.  Need to verify where the brake master leak is coming from and which model master it is specifically.  Lots of options to choose from online.  Will see about getting that steering slop out. 

Oh and shipping company sent paperwork!

jedduh01

Awesome Bus Content!    4.gif

I'm Colorado now ,  we stayed in a neighborhood in Golden ... I will guess a neighborhood of ~100 Homes... While most vehicles around are Subaru + 4 Runners + Tacomas  and other SUV's
  There are 3 houses within a 3 block radius with busses in the driveway or garage .. Ill say "Urban Hippies"

I had bud with a few VW busses... he always said the steering was 'wishful' .  Brakes too.  looking at parts diagrams. there are 6 Tie rod ends , bushings, a possible thing called a Rubber steering coupler. AKA Rag joint...  all cool to learn about. im sure the combined wear among all those would keep steering 'vague"   

We know youll be on it + fix it all up!

94touring

More done today.  Also, I was mistaken about the 127v, it's a 220v fridge.  So that came out and a bigger one going in.  Will have to modify the cabinet it sits in.  Took out the drawer and worthless woodwork on the inside of the knook under the rear bench seat. Added a real piece of wood that isn't flimsy and created more space by removing clutter.  Behind the drivers seat is a void that can be used for something.  Removed the top, added a real board and some hinges.  Added trim over the closet and made a small shelf over the bed to the far rear of the bus.  Still need to stain that but out of time for today.

94touring

Oh and I picked up little round wood knobs to remove the big surfer knobs with the pointy end that jabs you. 

cstudep

I was going to ask about those cabinet knobs. Looked like something I would constantly be hitting my head on  4.gif

MiniDave

They look like they're made to hang stuff off of to me.....like beach towels or something.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

They're good for hitting your legs on with the two lower drawers by the forward bench seat!  Got the fridge in place.   Actually glad I upgraded because it holds so much more.  Going to find a different profile sink here in a few to help with plumbing since the fridge sits higher.  Won't bother putting a shelf and door back on above the fridge, just going to leave it an open void for random food storage.

Willie_B

Check out this product to eliminate the sink "P" trap.
https://drainmaster.com/rv/products/hepvo