Due to arrive soon

Started by 94touring, August 07, 2020, 01:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cstudep

You really do not need a trap in a situation like this. I assume the sink drain probably just ran straight out the side of the van to a place you can connect up a garden hose? That is generally how they work in the "RV" world when you do not have a grey water tank, which I would assume this does not. Our pop up camper does not even have "piping" for the drain, rather it's just a piece of hose that runs from the bottom of the sink straight over to the back side of the fitting to the outside.

I assume the problem is the sink is too deep and that it now hits the top of the fridge. If you can't find a more shallow style sink you could always just build a raised platform to sit that one in or even forgo that style of sink altogether and go with one designed to sit right on top of the cabinet which are pretty popular in bathrooms these days.

94touring

Yeah I'm going to try and run a hose right through the bottom of the floor.  The sink clears, it's just the drain pipe that doesn't.  I cut it back and should be able to make it work now.

I have shore power!  Still have to wire up the one outlet but this is what I came up with.  Took off the door that was held on by some clips that didn't work and put a new door on with actual hinges.  Put in a 2 breaker 30amp box, ran 10-2 wire from the shore inlet which I mounted under the body on the frame.  One outlet will be hidden behind the door to power the fridge and can run an extension cord from the available outlet if desired.  Then the other outlet is where they had their shore power.  Seemed to be the easiest spot.  My breaker box is in a funky spot but I can slide the whole bench and fridge cabinet out and get to the thing if I need to do more than reach in and flip the breaker. 

94touring

Electrical work is all done.  I finished wiring the 2nd outlet and got the 2000 watt inverter installed.  I wanted to mount it behind the fridge to plug right to it, however there wasn't enough space nor were the 6 foot 2 gauge cables long enough to reach the battery which is in the rear.  I went with stuffing it in the closet which allowed me to run the cables down the side of the body and to a pre drilled hole just above the battery.  It's also pretty close to the fridge that I can run a small extension to it if needed.  The plan being use the inverter while driving and then switching to shore power once I reach a destination.  Also got string lights installed.

MiniDave

I was surprised to see this van didn't have any provision for engine sourced heat....then I remembered where it came from!

Which makes me wonder if the Saveiro pickups I was looking at had heat either - I know they don't have A/C
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I think a lot of these buses were stripped of heat because it was cheaper than replacing the heater exhaust.  Nothing a Mr Buddy heater can't fix.

94touring

Got the sink sorted.  Have it draining to the ground instead of a container.  New tires on that aren't miss matched.  I will be painting the rims white and doing chrome caps.  Brake leak turned out to be a loose fitting off the master. 

MiniDave

What do you think of the white hubcaps on the black wheels?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Chrome hubcaps on white wheels is classic VW and will look very cool.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on October 09, 2020, 02:07:47 PM
What do you think of the white hubcaps on the black wheels?

They're actually dark blue but may as well be black.  Not a huge fan.  This is more the look I want.

tmsmini

This is what my first bus was like.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-211-type-2-transporter-with-e-z-camper-upgrade/

Hard to believe 35K

I like how yours is hybrid of early features on a later body style with the side barn doors.

I am trying to remember how the heat got from the heater boxes to the front.

94touring

They certainly aren't cheap!  It was far more affordable for me to import this one, and I like the hybrid features as well.

Heat exchangers over the exhaust and duct work.

94touring

Got it running much better.  It will actually do 60-62mph on flat straights now vs my 45 mph the other day. Even hit 72 going downhill. Not bad considering how bad the dizzy cap and rotor look.  I bet I'll be hitting 65 in no time lol.  Sure would be nice to get the steering wheel more responsive, definitely not my mini in the handling department.

Messed with the power inverter last night testing out various loads.  I have a good sized space heater rated at 1500 watts.  Runs it just fine showing about 3/4th-7/8s full on the load meter on the inverter.  However when the battery gets below about 11.5v it kicks off.  Let the battery charge overnight and fired up the bus this morning to see how it would do with more than idle rpms running the alternator.  Appears to keep up with it but I suspect a 75amp alternator vs the stock 60 may be a good upgrade.   

MiniDave

I dunno, increase the alternator load and you'll lose speed!  ;D ;D ;D

65 on the straights is probably about where it will top out, seems terrible to have to drive it flat out all the time but most were driven exactly that way - you need to get a tachometer on it and see what it's turning at 65 mph as they had portal gears on the rear axles.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The Brazilian buses may be different, but the others dropped the portal (reduction gear) rear hubs at the transition from split window to bay window styles (approximately 1968).

94touring

I found the adjustment for the steering box and tightened up the slop in the wheel.  All the steering arms and joints are in good shape with no play at least.

MiniDave

"Vague" was the polite term for the steering on these..... ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: MPlayle on October 10, 2020, 10:20:06 AM
The Brazilian buses may be different, but the others dropped the portal (reduction gear) rear hubs at the transition from split window to bay window styles (approximately 1968).

Sounds like about the time they went from the 40 hp motors to the 50?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on October 10, 2020, 10:55:48 AM
"Vague" was the polite term for the steering on these..... ;D

It's more than vaguely sketchy when you have a couple inches travel either side lol.  Should actually turn now when I move the wheel!

jeff10049

Quote from: 94touring on October 10, 2020, 09:44:52 AM
Got it running much better.  It will actually do 60-62mph on flat straights now vs my 45 mph the other day. Even hit 72 going downhill. Not bad considering how bad the dizzy cap and rotor look.  I bet I'll be hitting 65 in no time lol.  Sure would be nice to get the steering wheel more responsive, definitely not my mini in the handling department.

Messed with the power inverter last night testing out various loads.  I have a good sized space heater rated at 1500 watts.  Runs it just fine showing about 3/4th-7/8s full on the load meter on the inverter.  However when the battery gets below about 11.5v it kicks off.  Let the battery charge overnight and fired up the bus this morning to see how it would do with more than idle rpms running the alternator.  Appears to keep up with it but I suspect a 75amp alternator vs the stock 60 may be a good upgrade.

1500 watts at 12 volts is 125 amps. You wont be able to sustaine that kind of load for long nor will the stock alternator wiring. You need more like a 200 amp alternator they are not designed to run at 100% output for long.
The inverter should have minium 2ga cables to the battery fused at 150 amps.

Running stuff on inverters is not as simple as most think when you start looking at the load on the 12 volt side it doesn't take much to overwhelm the system.
Your heater is only a 12.5 amp load at 120 volts. but drop down to the 12 volt side and you are maxing out your 2 gauge feed cables at 125 amps.
You may want to consider a different heat source when driving and save the inverter for other stuff.

BruceK

Dan, how do you like sitting over the front wheels to drive? Had you driven a VW bus previously?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on October 10, 2020, 02:37:38 PM
Dan, how do you like sitting over the front wheels to drive? Had you driven a VW bus previously?

It's fun!  First time driving one.  Tightened up the steering a little more before leaving but haven't given it another test drive.  Trying to find the sweet spot where it's not sloppy but not too hard to turn.

tmsmini

I would guess this one has the CV joints. I can't imagine they kept the reduction gears in other markets for very long.
Was 68 also the first year for the single front window? 67 was a transition year from 6 V to 12 V and I think kept the reduction gears, but not 100% sure.

MPlayle

In most markets, 1968 was the transition to the big single windshield - called the "bay-window".

Apparently Brazil was different in that they overlapped the two for several years into the mid-70's.  They also kept the side barn doors on the bay-window vans when most other markets went to the sliding side doors.

94touring

Got new shocks on all 4 corners.  After much researching the general consensus was using a stiff kyb gas adjust on the rear and a softer gas kyb on the fronts.  The rears are definitely firmer compared to the fronts when out of the box.  Anyways 3 out of the 4 shocks that came off the bus has 0 shock left to give.  The fronts didn't even match.  Test drive confirms it rides better. No longer sways left and right excessively and still feels smooth. 

jeff10049

Quote from: 94touring on October 10, 2020, 03:22:11 PM
Quote from: BruceK on October 10, 2020, 02:37:38 PM

It's fun!  First time driving one.  Tightened up the steering a little more before leaving but haven't given it another test drive.  Trying to find the sweet spot where it's not sloppy but not too hard to turn.

They are fun to drive have a buddy with one we painted and put a good used engine in years ago. puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Factory fuel injected yet still has points ignition. i think its a 74