Due to arrive soon

Started by 94touring, August 07, 2020, 01:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Any guesses what I have being shipped?

Dave and Jim can't answer.

BruceK

I'm going to go out on a limb and say:  Something from Brazil.   ;D

Hmmmm... there are a lot of very cool Brazil-only VWs, Dodges, and Chevrolets, and other really cool cars.  I'm assuming it's automotive related and that you have not purchased your very own Embraer 175 aircraft.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on August 07, 2020, 02:00:10 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say:  Something from Brazil.   ;D

Hmmmm... there are a lot of very cool Brazil-only VWs, Dodges, and Chevrolets, and other really cool cars.  I'm assuming it's automotive related and that you have not purchased your very own Embraer 175 aircraft.

It is from Brazil.  Not my own personal jet.  Besides I'm a Boeing guy.   ;D

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on August 07, 2020, 02:24:26 PM
bout damn time.... 77.gif

Yeah emailed the customs guy today asking what the status is.  Finally on the water.

BruceK

So your ISF has been filed in time? (Hopefully).
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on August 07, 2020, 03:06:14 PM
So your ISF has been filed in time? (Hopefully).

Yeah customs guy requested a large amount of information from myself and seller, so I'm good there.  The company I purchased through exports to the US frequently so the process has been easy.  Aside from it being lengthy.

BruceK

Any hints on your shipment?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on August 07, 2020, 03:23:20 PM
Any hints on your shipment?

It falls into the cool Brazil VW category, but was manufactured elsewhere as well.  Brazil kept the production going. 

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Split window or bay window?

T2 would encompass Camper, Bus, Panel Van, Single-cab, and Double-cab.  The Brazilian ones came in both split window and bay window well into the 1970's.  They also have a few sort of "unique" characteristics.

94touring

Well I've gotten Jen into camping, the new job offers a lot of time off in big stretches, and finally paid off the student loans, so we got one of these.  Not sure if they're sending all the beach crap like surfboards and various interior decorations, but that stuff will be taken out if so.  The rear window decals were supposed to be taken out and also the front bay window converted to a pop out safari window.  I looked stateside for something like this but prices were out of my budget for something in this condition.  The process was actually very easy and the company that I bought from has a large stock of cars.  Basically said I'll take that one, they gave me a price delivered to my doorstep, talked to the credit union, and sent them a check.  It's a 1983 so borrowing money was a little tricky at first.  Pretty sure they thought they were loaning me money for a vanagon.  Has a 1600cc motor and guessing that it won't do well going into the mountains, so perhaps turbo kit is in it's future.   

BruceK

That is so cool!  I love it.   

Have you driven one before?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on August 07, 2020, 09:20:15 PM
Has a 1600cc motor and guessing that it won't do well going into the mountains, so perhaps turbo kit is in it's future.

Hmmmm... let's think about this.  Dan goes on a quest to make his RX-7 faster by extensively modifying the engine and turbo to produce more power.   Then Dan goes on a quest to make his Mini faster by radically losing weight and modifying the engine to produce more power.   And Dan's job involves moving throttles so he can travel at 500+ mph.

I'm predicting a future engine swap with a Scoobie Doo... :D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ADRay

nice! I dig the graphics and the plaid interior.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

BruceK

How does a bay window to splitty conversion work?   Two different body styles I would think.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Bruce,

It stays a bay window like this ...

BruceK

Ah.  Very cool.  I've never seen that before.  Thanks Michael
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I suggested the Subaru swap when he first told me about it, but he want's to live with it for a while first and see how it drives.

I suggested the first run to Colorado will answer all those questions!   ;D ;D ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 08, 2020, 10:10:56 AM
I suggested the Subaru swap when he first told me about it, but he want's to live with it for a while first and see how it drives.

I suggested the first run to Colorado will answer all those questions!   ;D ;D ;D

I bet it will.  When I first got my flat front Toyota truck I thought it would be great to take on long trips.  Then I found out how "adequately powered" it is.  (1.8L engine making about 95hp). Driving my Toyota reminds me a lot of driving a VW Type 2.   It's very fun sitting over the front wheels, right up at the windshield, and there is a whole thrill to the work involved in maintaining forward momentum. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I suspect it will be like my mini when it was a 998 on 3 cylinders.  There's a company who offers a turbo kit that includes anything and everything you need for a very attractive price.  Though it's suggested that the valves get double springs.  I have 2 buddies who have or currently own busses.  One was forever ago and I just remember it was beat to hell but he daily drove it.  My other buddy, also a pilot, has a camper as well but with the bigger motor.  Playle shows how they do the windows.  There was another bus they had with that conversion that sold before I could get money, so they offered to convert this one.  Communication was spotty so we'll see if they did.  I figured it would provide a little extra air moving slowly through town or parked. Apparently at speed you risk cracking glass...and bugs to the face.  Not sure how I feel about the white walls, but I'm fairly certain those are inserts that can be removed.  I'd also like to add shore power and probably a large power inverter to run some various electrical equipment.  That fridge I'm certain is just an ice chest, so a proper mini fridge would be ideal.  I've seen where people add hitches and haul small boats or their vw bugs.  That's also appealing provided it has enough power to pull and brakes to stop.  Maybe I flat tow the mini? 

Willie_B

The fridge does not look like an icebox. But what voltage/hertz does Brazil run and would it work here?

Looks like it could be loads of fun. My brother has had several vw campers. Still has a newer one now.

ve9aa

It just SCREAMS late 1960's  :-\ (hope it doesn't smell like that)

Uber cool though man.
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

94touring

Quote from: Willie_B on August 08, 2020, 12:29:04 PM
The fridge does not look like an icebox. But what voltage/hertz does Brazil run and would it work here?

Looks like it could be loads of fun. My brother has had several vw campers. Still has a newer one now.

Good question, I'm not sure.  I have my multi country power outlet adapter I carry for work and nothing Brazil/South America on it.  Hopefully the fridge is electric though.