Due to arrive soon

Started by 94touring, August 07, 2020, 01:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

94touring

Back at it today. Have to mask the body tomorrow, but I have a good bit of prep done and a few dings filled.  On the rear bumper I tended to some cracking and found where it had been hit at some point, but rather than hammer it back out, they just filled it heavily.  I got it pretty straight and reduced the amount of filler required dramatically.

94touring

Moving along. Just a little more sanding to do and a couple things to mask and it's ready for paint.

MiniDave

Everything below that tape line will be that VW Blue, right?

I image sanding those louvers might be hard on the fingers?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Blue below the line, correct. The louvers just get hit with some scotch bright for adhesion.

94touring

12 hour day but got it done!  Well almost...have to paint a bumper and a side door needs a color correction where there was a mistake.

skmini

That does look good.  Almost makes me miss my bus.  Is that one panel all the way from the B pillar to the rear corner?  On mine it was two, I assume so they could use the same panels for LHD and RHD.

94touring

Yep one big panel. Although I suppose depending on the model, they could have made it 2 panels.  Some of these had cargo doors on the left side, which would use the separated panels.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Did one side today.  I'll tackle more tomorrow.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah buffed up nice.  The wavey-ness of the long side panel shows better now that the old orange peeled to hell white is gone.  I suppose you could spend forever filling and sanding to make it dead straight, but the meticulous bus people expect it to have subtle imperfections. 

Tried to get a before and after shot of pre and post color sanding.

jeff10049

Looks great, Those bus side panels always have waves even if you spend forever they will wave at different temperatures, and depending on how it's parked they're just too big and thin of a panel to stay straight.
I like the colors the blue looks a little like the speedwell blue on my mini but that could just be how it comes through the picture and monitor.

94touring

Actually here is Marina blue vs Speedwell.  Marina is on the can.

BruceK

Marina looks better but Speedwell is a cooler name! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jeff10049

They are certainly different when next to each other Im with Bruce the marina looks better. On the bus anyway I can't picture the bus in speedwell but I can't picture my mini in the marina.

94touring

Depending on the light and angles, they overlap in appearance. I was initially going to paint the bus Speedwell with leftover mini paint, but it was running low. Then I bought the bug in Marina blue that needs a restore so that pretty much sold me on marina blue for the bus.  Keep it in the VW paint family and paint both vehicles with the same gallon of paint.

94touring

Went back and hit the side again where it wasn't quit perfect.  Took a shot of old white on one of the pillars too. 

94touring

New rear brakes.

94touring

Got the front back together.  Ended up replacing the turn signal assemblies. The old were so brittle they were falling apart on me.  Have a spare pair of new lenses now as a result. The black plastic bug screen thing behind the white grill was also replaced. Old one was also brittle and falling apart.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Bumper painted and drying. 

94touring

Well I just need a transaxle. Any day now...  I feel like I did a full restore over the past few months lol

94touring

Still buffing on this thing.  Went ahead and mounted the rear bumper temporarily to give it a little buff as well and see how it all looks. 

MiniDave

So which transaxle do you think will arrive first, the new one or the rebuilt one?  :great:

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad