MINIAC II Resto mod 1990 project

Started by Miniac, September 28, 2019, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miniac

This is my current mini project. Miniac II. This project is destined to be better than the first one. (See project Miniac 1 posted recently)
This project started out as I nice driving fairly rust free mini I found in Texas. Previously came from Germany. I managed to rip it apart within days of owning it.
So far:
-painted roof black
-stripped and rebuilding interior (newton commercial lighting bolt) modified Mazda Miata sets with custom made rails for mini. *** these are currently listed for sale if anyone wants. Just not working for me with my harnass set up. Switched to Corbeau.
- 13 inch JBW Revolution wheels. Sent out for custom chrome plating. Custom made cooper emblem caps.
- cut out fenders and fitting group 5 flares.
- Installed crazy JL audio Amps 1600w and subwoofer with Rockford Fosgate speakers.
- Motolita steering wheel.
- "Hillbilly carbon fiber" dash as stand in till install of "charcoal with extra three clock" and smiths magnolia gauges.
- bolt in rollbar by minitech.

The list and photos will continue.

Engine just came out. Going for complete buildup using billet crank, VmaxScart supercharger, forged pistons etc etc... my wife calls it the Mini Money Pit.
1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

Willie_B

The chrome really changes the look of the wheels in a good way. That roll bar looks good, far enough back to be safe from head strikes. Will be looking forward to more updates and photos.

ADRay

I'm liking it so far, looks and sounds similar to my own. is the black factory paint?
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Miniac

Factory paint. Roof was white, so painted that as I prefer black on black.
1990 Rover Mini black

MiniDave

If you don't have a use for that wood dash, and if it's in good shape - I can use it.

So, it will be all black? I sense a theme here.......Darth Mini  ;D

So, will you keep this one and drive it or is it a build to sell? I understand what she means about the money pit!

Does MiniTec sell those roll bars? I haven't been on their site lately.....

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Miniac

Dash is spoken for already, sorry.  The wood one going in is piano black enameled with matching door cappings. Planning to keep and drive this one, as it will be unsellable for a profit...
Minitech sells the bars. Way less cost than bringing to USA from England. Though these bars are a challenge to get it. Have to "squeeze the bars with ratchet straps to get it in. Then it did not expand back out all the way. Had to use fence post and bottle jack to expand it back out. Total pain, not sure if I would do it again. The last one I had was a bolt together 6 point from safety devices, (I did not install it), though I heard they are all very uncooperative.
1990 Rover Mini black

gr8kornholio

What do you think of that sound skin material?

Where did you get the center caps for?

Looking good.  Excited to see the outcome of the motor.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Miniac

Soundskin works great. It does add weight. Cost wise better than Dyna Mat. Also have used Noico available on Amazon. The sound deadening materials do really work. Even used it in my heating ducts at home and behind fridge!
1990 Rover Mini black

gr8kornholio

Thanks. That was supposed to be where did you get the center caps from not for.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Miniac

Sorry.
Center caps cane from MiniSport. They are 50mm Cooper emblems. I just drilled the caps that came with wheels and used 3m super two way tape and socket cap screws. I can track down part number for emblems if you need it.
1990 Rover Mini black

MiniDave

I would think the sticky tape would do it without the screws?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Miniac

Yes. However the emblems had pre drilled holes so I filled them with socket caps. Paint them first! The black is gone after 1 day!
1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

MiniDave

What are all the blue cables? And how do you know which goes where?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Most likely audio cables for the stereo. Usually tape or labels so you remember which set you hooked to front, rear and sub.

Miniac

Blue cables are coax out from stereo head unit. All carefully labeled. Before a laid down carpeting I laid down all speaker and signal cables. All the wires coming our are audio outs (blue) and speakers.
Front mid/tweet, rear mid/tweet, subwoofer. 
1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

Coax
Sorry for duplicate post of speakers.
1990 Rover Mini black

gr8kornholio

Yea, I've been doing car audio way to long.  Nice thing with the mini is the battery is in the boot so you don't need long power cables and you can keep them away from the audio cables. 

Miniac

Trial fitting flares for the big wheels.
1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

Jet-Hot ceramic coated "classic polish" my contact at jet hot is Debi Heath
DEBI HEATH
Jet-Hot, High-Performance Coatings
2611 LaVista Drive, Burlington, NC 27215
P 336-447-2000 | F 336-447-2020 | D 480-838-1815
www.jet-hot.com
1990 Rover Mini black

MiniDave

And once again I have shop envy!  ::) 77.gif 62.gif