MINIAC II Resto mod 1990 project

Started by Miniac, September 28, 2019, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miniac

New Donuts and Hi low (as lo as they will go!)
1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

12" moto lita. I think I can still drive even with handcuffs on...) lol
1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

Supercharger by Stuart Gurr of VMaxScart. He is also doing the cylinder head mods for this killer combo.  His work and consultation has been stellar. www.vmaxscart.co.uk
1990 Rover Mini black

MiniDave

Where does the intercooler go?

I have a friend who did one of these recently on his 998 Clubman, very happy with the results, although it still took a bit of fettling and tuning after the install.

Also, we have a forum member who did one on his 1275, he said he re-engineered the idler pulley as it wasn't strong enough and he came up with a much better bracket to support it. He has a thread on it here on the forum.....

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=1009.0
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Miniac

Awesome. Great thread. Wondering what final drive is best for the supercharger setup. Leaning toward 3.1.  Not sure with the 13 inch wheels. Can't go back to 12's.
1990 Rover Mini black

MiniDave

Well, remember he has a 5 speed, so I'm pretty sure he has a 3:44 final drive...with a 4 speed I'm confidant it would pull a 3:1 or even a 2:76

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Miniac

The "intercooler" is a "charge cooler" device a very small radiator and the pic is of the circulation pump. The base of the supercharger has a plate that is plumbed to circulate coolant. Suppose to cool the inlet air inbound past supercharger. After studying the thread you forwarded (thank you) I believe a heat shield of some sort is in order. The one exhaust tube looks like a it could be a "flavor bar" like my Weber grill. But we don't wanna cook the carb. I do plan to wrap header. It's currently at jet-hot for ceramic, then wrapping it. I might get a small heat shield for the exposed pipe under carb. Thermo tech USA (that I got header wrap from) sells pre made ceramic heat shields. They have a baby one (3.75x5.75 ) that might be just right to rig above the LCB "cal rod".  Just hard to plan out before it's in the engine bay as I'm not sure where it all gets stuffed in.
I'm thinking about splitting the difference and going with 2.9. There is a website I was referred to that has a nifty calculator where you can plug in wheel/tire combo, speedo type etc and get a really good picture of the speeds/gears plotted and graphed. www.guess-works.com
Thank you to all for the wealth of info and sharing. I appreciate all the input from fellow members. Glad to have found this community.
1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

Maniflow stage 3 large bore LCB ceramic coated then wrapped with ThermoTec wrap.
1990 Rover Mini black

bryanp

Really nice stuff!  I have the older Gurr supercharger in the other thread (I think I actually bought it in '16) - I answered the final drive question over there instead of here - My FD w/ the MiniSpares 5-speed is 3.44.

I agree w/ your comments about Stuart Gurr - he was easy to work with on the other side of the world, and he built my motor as well - an A+ unit from about '84 that he took up to 1310.   I will say that it appears he is constantly improving his product.   In the shot above of your package from Gurr, I see steel idlers in the plastic bag in lieu of the black plastic ones that came w/ mine.  Did you go w/ the 44 or 40 Weber? 

Keep it up!  It's almost a shame not to be able to see that header!   

Miniac

Thanks. I agree about the header. Though all in the interest of getting the heat away.  Not sure about the idlers. I believe in the plastic bag are hose barbs and thick flat washers for LCB. which idlers are you referring to? I can check to confirm which type I have. There is a bracket with idler as tensioner for the belt attached to base of charger (not seen in photo) this appears to be stainless amd bearing.
1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

Went with 40. Also have the charge cooler. He is also doing the head for me. Just doing the final math once it arrives to calculate final CR so I can get crank, rods. Then the final frontier. Making custom pistons via ROSS in USA to get the exact dish for the other components.
1990 Rover Mini black

94touring

Thoughts or concerns on the 5 speeds from spares?

Miniac

I got the Minispares HD Helical gearset (4 speed). Using Quife ATB, and 3.1 Final Drive Helical.  Going with S/C 1:1 Drop gears.   I had to change me way of thinking as different now with Forced induction.  The 3.1 should work will with the 4 speed.  5 speed would be nice, but I doubt I want to go over 100mph very often.   My previous car had 3.44, SC JKD 4 speed and would do about 96 mph at 5k rpm, which would have been nice to have one more gear, but that car was not super fun (safe) to drive that fast...
1990 Rover Mini black

94touring

I top out at 96-100mph at 6k, but would be nice to have the overdrive for the highway driving.  I don't want to give up my gearing cause I like it aside from the 4500rpms at 75mph. 

bryanp

I like the MiniSpares 5-speed (helical w/ x-pin); it's precise, not noisy.  I can cruise all day 75 at about 3700.  The throw to 5 is pretty long - my back comes off the seatback to reach it, but it's not like you're in and out of it a lot. 

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

Miniac

This is complete build list for those interested. Should be driving this spring.

A SERIES BLOCK

MED (Arrow Precision) 81.33 EN40B
Billet Crank 81.33 stroke
MED Main cap and AFS Steel Main Studs
ACL Race Bearings
Setrab Oil cooler
Carillo 5.75 Rods
Carillo 18cc Dished pistons
Calver ST SuperSports Large Bore head
Payen BFK 450 head gasket
MED 1.5 roller tip rockers
Minifin chromed valve cover
Jaguar flip top oil cap
MED heat treated steel push rods
Swiftune SW 10 cam
MED Superfinished cam followers
MED Vernier belt drive
VmaxScart Supercharger kit with 40DCOE Weber
VmaxScart charge cooler kit
Maniflow ST2 LCB Header Powdercoated polished Silver/Ceramic wrapped
MED Ultimate Radiator
Vacuum advance Dizzy (supplied by VMaxScart)
Hi-Torque Starter
70 Amp High Output Alternator
Swiftune catch can

USA based Chicago,IL
Average field elevation 1000ft MSL
Shell Nitro @ 93 octane

Weather
summer average 24-29 Celsius

A+ GEARBOX

Polished silver Powdercoat box
Non wettable (Teflon coated) inside box
Evolution heavy duty helical 4-speed gear set
Centre Pickup Oil pipe
S/C 1:1 Drop Gears
3.1 final drive
Quaife ATB Differential
MED ST3 Ultralight Flywheel/Gray Clutch
OEM axles

EXTERIOR

Black on Black paint
Carbon fiber NACA duct cold air intake in bonnet
Revolution 7x13 4-Spoke custom chrome plated
Yokohama A539 175/50R 13 Tires
Group 5 arches (Black)
Bullet mirrors
Rover spec Twin driving lights
Stainless steel grille with buttons
OEM brakes
Maniflow Stainless Steel exhaust with
Fletcher polished twin DTM muffler

INTERIOR

Cooper trim
Black charcoal 3 clock dash +3 Smiths Magnolia accessory gauges (oil pressure,oil temp,water temp)
Black charcoal door cappings
Red carpeting by Newton Commercial
Polished door hardware
Moto-Lita steering wheel
Cooper short shift with bias spring
Sparco shift boot and chrome Shift Knob
"Lightning Bolt" interior panels and back seat by Newton commercial.
Sparco polished pedals
Corbeau racing seats
Corbeau 4point harnass
Carbon fiber look vinyl door pillars and map pockets
Minitec 4 point roll bar
Halon Fire Extinguisher

SOUND SYSTEM

Alpine head unit
Garmin Dash mounted GPS
Rockford Fosgate 3-way front speakers with satellite dash mounted tweeters
Rockford Fosgate 6.75 2-way rear speakers
JL Audio W6 10 inch sub in sealed enclosure
JL Audio HD 1200 watt Sub Amp with sub controller
JL Audio HD 800 watt 4 channel Amp
1990 Rover Mini black

MiniDave

That motor should be a beast!

We have a stroked 1380 in our Innocenti, no supercharger tho. I went with a 3:1 final drive too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Miniac

I am hopeful of a totally different experience and dynamic from my previous build (similar quality components but no supercharger and close ratio S/C Gears and FD) I had to learn the strategies involved with the forced induction and the FD "taller is better".  Miniac 1 was awesome fun but this engine should be even better!
1990 Rover Mini black

MiniDave

Normally with that cam and those 1.15 rockers it wouldn't have anything down low in the rpm band, but the supercharger should make up for that depending on how you have it "geared". Sometimes it helps to actually retard the cam timing a touch. MED should be able to advise you on that.

Anxious to see what you think of it when you get it broken in. Like I said, it should be a beast!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Miniac

1990 Rover Mini black

MiniDave

Are you about ready to start blasting around the neighborhood?  62.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad