Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Nice find. The last Mini with twin SU's i recently got running after a 9 year slumber i blocked off the fuel line removed the float lids and filled the float chambers with fuel and fired it up, they run for quite a while. I have driven them around the block with a gravity fed container also.

I beleive HS4 and HS2 float chamber grommets are the same so it is easy to get the right float chamber angle although the jets may be shorter, maybe they were re built to Mini spec

My plan was to try and run it off a small tank, just to hear it run, but I'm going to pop the head anyway so I'm not sure it matters.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Well it is a nice period correct piece that isn't 500 bucks.

MiniDave

Today I went all medieval on the two gas caps, I used a Dremel to cut off the chrome cover plate, I then pried the cap off the center where the key goes in - I was able to just use a screwdriver to turn the lock and the right one came off, but the left one was still stuck tight - so I got out my big drill and drilled out the center of the lock - with that it released and I got it off.

Next I removed the tanks - both are rusty inside and full of varnish so they went down to the radiator shop where they will clean them out and redcoat the insides.

Next I looked at the sender - it's also stuck tight with varnish, so I will take some carb spray to it and see if I can recover it.....my hopes for success are not high however.....

More progress as it happens.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on November 01, 2018, 02:08:45 PM
Well it is a nice period correct piece that isn't 500 bucks.

It's OK by me...what color to paint it, black or silver?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah dunno what they usually would be.  Either is probably fine.  I'll give the guy another day to reply.  I have a sump guard here to sell, the one off the car, and Vikrams old wheels. 

MPlayle

I hope you are able to recover the fuel sender.  It looks to be one of those Inno specific parts that will likely be "hen's teeth" to find a proper replacement.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on November 01, 2018, 12:19:10 PM
Quote from: Willie_B on November 01, 2018, 12:01:37 PM
Inno sump guard on ebay at the moment.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=332846132382

I made an offer last night but the guy hasn't said a peep.

MiniSpares sells new Innocenti style sumpguards so be careful this one isn't just one of them.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on November 01, 2018, 02:36:45 PM

MiniSpares sells new Innocenti style sumpguards so be careful this one isn't just one of them.

Do you have a link to one? Can't find it.

MiniDave

This one is heavy!

I put one of Minispares alloy sump guards on Seths car recently.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on November 01, 2018, 02:45:06 PM
Quote from: BruceK on November 01, 2018, 02:36:45 PM

Do you have a link to one? Can't find it.

Here you go:  http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/MS96.aspx 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

The ebay style has 8 slats vs the spares at 6. 

MiniDave

Quote from: MPlayle on October 31, 2018, 04:38:45 PM
Dave,

As you can see from the picture Vikram posted, the Inno dash is a single, full-width item.  Others have correctly mentioned, they can be brittle and tricky to remove.

Perhaps Vikram can query the seller of that dash as to the procedure he used to remove it without cracking or breaking it?

This is a good idea...I think I'm going to have to remove ours to move the steering column, brackets and such.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on November 01, 2018, 07:26:02 PM
Quote from: MPlayle on October 31, 2018, 04:38:45 PM
Dave,

As you can see from the picture Vikram posted, the Inno dash is a single, full-width item.  Others have correctly mentioned, they can be brittle and tricky to remove.

Perhaps Vikram can query the seller of that dash as to the procedure he used to remove it without cracking or breaking it?

This is a good idea...I think I'm going to have to remove ours to move the steering column, brackets and such.....

When I was looking at it, it looked to me the glass needs to come out to do it.  If you take it out, before putting it back in we should redo the vinyl A post covers and potentially replace the right hand door check strap.  It didn't seem to lock in place well. 

I scored us a LHD accelerator pedal. Let's hope the pedal box is already LHD.

94touring

Bought the 8 slat inno sump guard and an inno key chain. 

velopackrat

Looking at that fuel sender, you two guys should buy some stock in EvapoRust:)

MiniDave

It's not rust, it's varnish from the gasoline sitting in there for a decade or more.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Today I started removing parts to get ready to drop the engine and subframe out, a couple of things stood out - first the wiring colors do not follow the Lucas pattern, so I'm very carefully labeling the various wires as I remove them so that if I can't find a wiring diagram I'll be able to make it run again.

Next - we know the carbs are not original, when I pulled the manifold assembly off I noticed there was no way to index the manifold to the head, it just sorta floats there. The manifold has the routed out areas for the locating rings, but the head has had the ports matched, so there's no way to use one. What I usually do is locate it carefully while on the bench, then drill some small holes and use dowels or roll pins to locate the manifold correctly. You can see how the manifold wasn't quite lined up on one of the ports. It will be interesting to see what other work has been done to the head. Gonna need to fab up a heat shield too.....

I also crossed the part number on the oil cooler to an MGB, same as the carbs we're thinking.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

Your mention of an Inno wiring diagram made me remember I have a pdf/jpg of the Innoe wiring diagram and another of the dash.  I have them in an old folder on a reference drive.  Both are now attached here. 

The wiring diagram does not seem to have the legend accompanying it, but does have a "watermark" in the lower right corner for where it came from that might help for getting additional information.  The source may or may not still be active online as I have had these for some time.

BruceK

That is one of the better-looking and easy to follow wiring diagrams extant.   The one for my car in the Haynes manual leaves a lot to be desired. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I'm just glad Dave is dealing with this part.

94touring

We have an original inno oil cooler ordered and on the way.  Dave can use the mgb one on his car.  Still searching for the grill and an appropriate shift knob.

MiniDave

I have the front subframe and engine ready to drop out, I had to cut the exhaust into pieces because it was all rotted out, the header was cracked and broken too.  No matter, we have a complete RC40 coming but I thought I'd throw this out to the collective.....

We have several Abarth things on the car, I was thinking this could be fun. I saw/heard one on a car at the CMU 59 and liked how it looked and sounded. Dan thinks we should stick to a stock center exit RC40 (which I'm not against) but I thought since we had some Abarth stuff on it already......Abarth exhaust system

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

That is similar to what I have on the Moke.