73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I don't know if this is really a restoration but I wanted to start a thread to chronicle getting this car back on the road again. Dan will bring it to my shop soon and we'll get pics along the way, stay tuned!

This pic is as it sits now before Dan loads it onto the trailer to bring it to his shop and then later to mine.

Plans are to take it back to it's original specification as much as possible. As such we'll be researching things like engine paint color, mirror styles, interior door cards, pockets and pulls. Steering wheel and horn button. Underhood arrangement and specs and so on.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The "Parnell" book on Cooper and Cooper-S models had a good section on the Innocentis as well for reference.

94touring

I know we're looking for an inno 1300 front grill.  I should have the car Thursday or Friday. 

MiniDave

Quote from: MPlayle on October 23, 2018, 01:47:41 PM
The "Parnell" book on Cooper and Cooper-S models had a good section on the Innocentis as well for reference.

Who has one of those?

Actually, now that I think about it I think Don has that book, but IIRC it's in black and white.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Who do we know that's color blind that can read it?

MiniDave

I was thinking of the pics....   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I have a complete Inno 1300 drivetrain/subframe in the basement. Be careful as the water temp sender is Inno only. A british one does not play well with the gauge.

MPlayle

I'll have to go out to the garage and dig out my copy of the "Parnell" book to see what the Inno section has for pictures/details.  I seem to recall portions of mine were in color.

velopackrat

I've got a Parnell book right here.  What am I looking for? Inno grill?  And BTW, those are some cool-as-hell Cromodora wheels...

MiniDave

Don has the book too, I'll borrow it from him......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Those wheels on ebay are worth coin from what I'm seeing.  In fact anything Inno is big money.

gr8kornholio

So more valuable as a whole or parts?  Still find that crazy with some cars, my toyota truck included.  Probably worth 1500 max as a truck.  The little plastic toyota badges on the side of the cab fetch 200-250.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Yeah, probably....but we're gonna make it as much as we can as it was when new.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

They seem to be worth more as a whole, but yes some of the hard to find parts are pricey as they don't make any of this stuff and it's rarer than hens teeth.

drmini

Quote from: 94touring on October 24, 2018, 10:04:10 AM
Those wheels on ebay are worth coin from what I'm seeing.  In fact anything Inno is big money.
But the wheels aren't stock.  They are aftermarket.  Abarth Cromadora wheels.  FWIW, the Inno would have had Rostyle wheels on it when it was delivered new.  Also, saw a fresh set (Rostyle wheels) on the MM cars/parts for sale page for $200 in NY.

94touring

At my shop on the trailer ready to take to Dave.  Gave the car a bath.  Body is in excellent shape and hasn't had any metal work performed that I'm seeing, or multiple paint jobs done.  Found one minor ding on the roof where it looks like an acorn fell on it, very hard to see.  That's about it.  I can count on my hand how many rock chips it has.  Couple rust flakes wanting to show themselves on few spots down low in the typical places.  All very minor.  Single stage paint and cleans up good.   

MiniDave

So, 2007 the last time it ran, you think?

Red button on the wheels, lock of some kind? Do we have the key? How many keys did we get?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

We have the keys and there's a few on the chain.  No clue when it ran last but long enough ago one tire doesn't hold air and the gas is varnish.  Has one special lug per wheel and we'll need the proper key to undo it.

94touring

velopackrat

You guys scored.  What a cool car.  Damn clean too.  Wow.

BruceK

Looks like a Abarth symbol on the wheel center cap.

Edit: just saw Hugh's comment on Abarth wheels
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

BruceK

Oh, and in the latest photos it looks like it does have the thicker Inno headlight rings too. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on October 26, 2018, 09:49:28 AM
Oh, and in the latest photos it looks like it does have the thicker Inno headlight rings too.

Indeed. It's just missing the grill and original wheels. 

BruceK

The heel pad on the carpet looks perfect.  That would have been on the driver's side before the conversion to RHD, so not much use at all, or had floor mats protecting the carpet.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S