Help identifying this mini

Started by 94touring, October 19, 2018, 08:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Have a guy in Tulsa who contacted me to go inspect 3 minis just down the road from me.  Sent me pics and I need some help figuring this one out.  I'll get a better idea once I see it if it's something I snag.  I'm thinking it's an innocenti but does it all match up? Note the rear boot lid, twin tanks, later model lights, internal hinge doors, doors have winders plus a vent, then the inno turn lamps.  Ideas?

MPlayle

External clues definitely suggest it is either an Inno or an Authi.  Leaning more toward it being an Inno.

An interior shot of the dash and door cards would also be a good clue.

94touring

MPlayle

I don't recall for certain.  I think some may have had twin tanks, though a quick image search seems to indicate the later 1300 Export series did not.  The boot lid and side marker lights are very definitely Inno.  The Innos were also some of the first to get the tri-color tail lights.

MPlayle

Did some more image searching and not finding much to support the right hand tank aspect.  Definitely confirmed the boot lid is the Inno style.

Also found several pictures of Innos in the beige with black roof color scheme.

Post some details when you get them.

MiniDave

Someone could have added the right tank? Should be able to tell from the internal lines and such, if they look factory or add-on
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The headlight rings are wrong for an Inno, but they could have been replaced.  The front repeater light placement, closer to the front of the car, is correct for an Inno.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Looks like roll up windows with quarter light vent windows- very much an Inno thing
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

BruceK

Everything, doors, dash, etc  points to Inno.    But I don't think they have made RHD cars.   Converted?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Dave and I may convert it back.  ;D

MPlayle

I agree with Bruce - definitely an Inno from the doors, dash, etc.

The steering wheel is unusual even for an Inno.

Willie_B

That is a neat looking steering wheel.

MiniDave

Abarth steering wheel, rare I'm sure. Missing the center horn button or emblem.

I was surprised to see RHD also, but the instruments are Italian, Benzina, Olio etc.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yes it's a mirror image of the typical LHD Inno dash.  But it looks factory.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Just noticed. Look at the gap between the brake pedal and the gas pedal. Holy size 13EEE Batman!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Actually, the dash is the same as the LHD Inno dash.  It is not mirrored.  The full 6-gauge Inno dash had 4 small gauges in front of the driver, the tach and speedo in the center and one gauge to the right.  This dash matches that layout.

It may have been converted to RHD for import into the UK and resided there for a while before making its way to the US?

I've seen pictures of a few Innos converted to RHD and they all left the dash as original which put most of the gauges offset to the left as in this one.

velopackrat

Curious, did Innos have Benditalia servos instead of Lockheed?  And Dan, are those big fat HS4 carbs?  Cool car.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on October 19, 2018, 02:57:57 PM
Actually, the dash is the same as the LHD Inno dash.  It is not mirrored.  The full 6-gauge Inno dash had 4 small gauges in front of the driver, the tach and speedo in the center and one gauge to the right.  This dash matches that layout.

It may have been converted to RHD for import into the UK and resided there for a while before making its way to the US?

I've seen pictures of a few Innos converted to RHD and they all left the dash as original which put most of the gauges offset to the left as in this one.

Okay. I was wrong about the mirrored part but right about the factory part!    ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Her Majesty's Government says that reg number belongs to a 1980 Leyland unknown.   Which kind of makes sense because it's not an Austin or a Morris.    So there might of been some difficulty registering an Innocenti so it just got listed as a Leyland. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ve9aa

Looks like an Inno....I didn't think they made RHD cars though.
Post a pic of the inside of the boot lid.  They had an inside panel on their bootlid.

I agree the headlight rings look thin.  The Inno's generally were all quite a bit wider.

I have some old old Inno pix around here somewhere, but I've never been an expert.
I do admire them though.

I think original Inno's had Veglia gauges too, not SMITH's.

Looking fwd 2 more pix.

-
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

MiniDave

Quote from: Willie_B on October 19, 2018, 01:42:15 PM
That is a neat looking steering wheel.

Looks like the original is on the passenger side floor.

I'm pretty confident that it was converted to RHD, and that's why the acc pedal looks so weird, I'm betting it's the LHD one just moved over.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

We believe it's a 1300 export, basically the cooper s of Italy.  They were all lhd so it's been converted, but hopefully looking at the pedals all the gear is still there.  From reading online and poking over the car yesterday the only other thing missing is the inno grill and perhaps the head light bezels.  Otherwise it seems to be untampered with and the body while filthy in the pics is in excellent shape.  I didn't notice any body work.  No noticeable dents, scratches and looks to be original paint.  Found one small rust bubble low on one door.  Paint was bubbling below the right tank in the boot where fuel had spilled.  This and 2 other minis were stuffed in a barn about 5 miles from my house.  It was hard to get pics because of how cramped and dark it was in there, but I'll get more soon. 

ve9aa

Dan,

If it's not rotted out and the (unique)gauges/wiring is OK and the very thin plastic gauge-surround isn't all cracked to bits, it's certainly worth saving or buying.

There was a 71(?) up here in NB that I tried for about a decade to buy which needed a full resto, but the guy basically just let it sink into the ground as Mother Nature reclaimed it.  One of those "I'll get around tuit"things.  Lotsa really neat features on the Inno.

Even though it *MAY* say 1300 on the boot badge, it may be a 998 (the one up here was).  A popular 'mod' back in the day to Cooperize your Mini. (I didn't study your picture, as it's upside and hurt my neck to look at it, LOL)

Mike in NB

ve9aa

Is the inside of the bootlid double skinned?  ie: has a pleated panel on it?

Somewhere I have pix of an old Inno up by me, original a 1300 export, but pretty sure it had a 998 in it.
Mike in NB