Help identifying this mini

Started by 94touring, October 19, 2018, 08:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

It's a 1275 and fairly certain I counted 11 studs on the head.

And yes double skinned boot lid.

ve9aa

Right on. It's gottabe an Inno. (or someone went to heaps of trouble putting all Inno parts on it.

How much ? (finger hovering over the PAYPAL button)

LOL!  71.gif
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

94touring

Assuming all original and cleans up to perfection and is road worthy...any guesses what it will bring on BAT? 

BruceK

My guess:  Presented correctly, and in good condition, I would say mid-teens to $20K.   There will be some who will complain it's not a real Cooper but of course it is (assuming it really is what the badge says).   And that's after conversion to LHD.  The more closely it retains all its unique Inno goodness the better -  that's what really makes it special.   

And I would say there's no reason to ever volunteer the unnecessary information that it lived in the UK for a while.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Pretty cool to find 3 hidden Minis right by your house.    Obviously you're focusing on one car, but tell us about the other ones when you get a chance.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Finding little blurbs of info:

All Innocenti's were equipped with Cooper S brakes and a choice of 998cc or 1275cc engines. This car in original trim had a 1275CC Cooper S spec engine with an 11-stud head, S pistons, and an S crankshaft. The con-rods were Innocenti spec. Carburetors were twin SU 1.25-inch, 538 cam and Lucas 25D4 distributor producing about 71bhp. Top end was about 95MPH.

Mini Magazine wrote:
​"There are thousands of pub-hours to be spent arguing as to what models of Mini are the rarest and/or most desirable...but definitely in the top ten in our book on the rarity side must be (the Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300 Export)"... "there can't be many more than a handful of these luxuriously-appointed, highly-tuned Italian "blossom" left in existence."

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on October 20, 2018, 07:42:49 AM
Pretty cool to find 3 hidden Minis right by your house.    Obviously you're focusing on one car, but tell us about the other ones when you get a chance.

One is a vermilion orange car that was restored by madhouse minis when they were still in bussiness.  Externally very clean with just a nasty dent on a door that will be an easy fix. Has a 998.  Interior was pretty horrible and needs new carpet, door cards, and proper seats.  All 3 cars have been parked for a few years and need gone over to be drivers.  The guy that asked me to come inspect these cars bought it for $4250.  The other car was brg with webasto roof.  It was garbage as it had a flip front cobbled together, home made manifold and jet ski carbs afixed.  It would take a lot of work to bring it back to it's former glory.  Imterior was all there and just needed cleaning but body was showing signs of rust. 

To keep everyone in further suspense the "buy them all now" price that was offered was 15k. 

BruceK

Here's something that is going to affect the value of the Innocenti:  the right information on the title. 

According to the MOT History site, it was listed as a 1980 car (perhaps when it came to the UK?), but these model Innocentis went out of production by 1975.   If there is value in the Inno model (and there is) then the title must be accurate.  So it would be a challenge to work with the state DMV to get the title corrected, but I think that will be needed to sell it the right way.  Otherwise, with a mismatched title, it effectively becomes a bitsa Mini.  Even though it was Italian-built, it might be possible to get a Heritage Certificate for it based upon it being a CKD kit and some production paperwork retained in the UK?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Yeah that's a concern.  I haven't seen the title to see what it's registered as.  The engine plate is also missing.  Not sure if there are any hidden numbers I can find to track down it's true identity.

Vikram

I have mixed experiences with changing title information with the NY DMV. When I went twice in person to change year, VIN and colour on my title I was promptly told to "contact the original manufacturer" and have them issue supporting documents. I spent about 2 hours trying to argue how that would not be possible. I was turned away. When I telephoned the Albany office a few days later explaining that "due to the age of the car, some information was incorrect", they changed the all of it that day and issued me a new document. Go figure.

It can certainly be done, just depends on your luck.

94touring

Will be getting title information tonight.  Also word is the missing back seat has been found. 

MPlayle

If it started as "$15K for all three" and the orange (Vermilion) one has sold at $4250, ...

That should put the remaining two at about $10750 for both?  I think it would be worth that for the green one as a "parts car" and the Inno to bring back to life.

The Inno itself might be worth close to that "as-is"?

All pending what the paperwork indicates, of course.

94touring

Green one has a metro motor, but the carb situation makes it dicey.   Would make a good parts car or candidate for full shell restore. 

94touring

Also, we have 542139.
B39/7 for the Leyland Innocenti Cooper Export model starting from 54001. 

drmini

Definitely an Inno.  The VIN plate on the slam panel is incorrect though.  That is an Austin plate that has been cut down and made square.  Innos had the VIN stamped into the RH inner wing in big numbers.  Kinda like old Fords did.  Look there and see if it has the same number as what's on the title.  It may be that they had to title it as it is/perhaps as an Austin so they could import it .  Don't know.  Wiring is much different from UK Minis.  Lots of different colours of wires and lots of fuses.  I had to rewire a 1300 Export once and it was a challenge.  Good part of that is, that the instruments have a coloured dot next to the spade or stud that is representative of the wire colour.  I have an Inno grille in my storage unit, but I'll have to dig it out and see what the condition is.  BTW, if you do anything around the dash area, be careful as the plastic there is very thin and usually brittle from age/heat/sun.

94touring

Thanks Hugh!  Keep me posted on the grill.  At this point imperfect is better than what's on there. My research also says the vin is stamped on the inner wing. I'd bet money it's the same code as the wrong vin plate.

BruceK

Here's a inno Cooper 1300 on BaT a year ago.  Sold for $20K.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-innocenti-cooper-1300/

Has lots of useful photos including the VIN stamping Hugh mentioned. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I phoned an expert. His 1966 Shelby is a 2015 over there as a result of how they do it.  So what we have is a 70s inno that sold/imported in the UK in 1980. 

"UK calls a cars year the year it is sold. So theoretically a 1972 sold in 1980 for the first time would have "first registered in 1980" on the title which in UK is called a V5"

joakwin

my uk mini was a late 84 build, some parts where the 84 left overs, and some parts where 85 parts, ie the change over year
but it was sold in feb of 85, so the V5 says its a 85 model

the Italian built minis have a vin number starting with B38 or B39
and the rear tail lights say built in Italy on them

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

94touring

Correct, found on the DVLA website that they explain there's the date of first registration and date of first registration in the UK on the v5c document.

94touring

After tons and tons of research I have concluded it was built in April 1973.  Dvla records show first registered in the UK in 1980 and manufactured in 1973.  Case solved.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on October 21, 2018, 08:23:58 AM
After tons and tons of research I have concluded it was built in April 1973.  Dvla records show first registered in the UK in 1980 and manufactured in 1973.  Case solved.

That's great.  Do you think that is enough to get the process started to have the title changed?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S