1950 Chevy truck restore

Started by jeff10049, November 23, 2017, 07:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

Started the restore on this 50 chev. It's an older restoration that was done good mechanically but poorly on the paint and body. It has an independent disk brake front end, power steering, power brakes, 12 bolt rear, small block Chevy power, th350 auto trans.

Mechanically not much will be changed other than the transmission to a 700r4 overdrive unit so we can lower the cruise rpm a bit.

Body is in good shape needs cab corners and a proper repaint. Having some parts sandblasted now. somebody had the really bad idea of spraying that trunk paint type of stuff on the interior going to be a pita to strip but I don't want to blast the cab.

Wood bed was improperly installed and shot.

jeff10049

They also went overboard with the red paint and painted the steering column and the wheel too? Looks like shit also had the ignition switch in the tilt column will keep the tilt but put the switch back in the dash and clean up the steering column. Will be keeping the red exterior but might go with a silver interior to break things up.
Also planning on power windows and a/c.

Thinking of firemist red for the exterior. comments ideas on color welcome.

jeff10049

Also I don't like the wheels. Top three choices are chrome steel with moon cap, Craiger, or torque thrust?
Undecided at this point.

BruceK

Quote from: jeff10049 on November 23, 2017, 07:55:29 PM

Thinking of firemist red for the exterior. comments ideas on color welcome.

Cool project!  I've got a real fondness for these post WWII Chevy trucks.  When I was about 10 years old I often used to ride in the bed of one - back when that was perfectly normal to do so.

As for color, lately I have really started liking the sand paint color appearing on new Toyotas and Jeep.  This is sort of the color.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

This is the Jeep version of the color.  I don't know why, but I just really like it. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I tend to like the "sand" colors as well.  Many years ago, I barely missed the chance to own an early "Cooperized" Mini in Sandy-Beige with a Snowberry white roof.  Still one of my favorite color combinations. 

jeff10049

That sand color is not bad a little plain for us I think or maybe we're just used to seeing the truck in red all these years.
I do like how the black running boards break it up some. The red that was on it looked good before it faded out.
The firemist we are leaning towards looks alot like the picture below and how the truck looked before the cheap paint failed.
I think the black running boards would look good with the red.

jeff10049

Like the idea of the steel wheels painted body color and then the stock chevy center caps.
Just found this factory color option called cape maroon it's on the list of choices for sure.
Even though the truck is not stock I like that it is a stock color choice shown below also has the wheel center cap combo.

BruceK

That's a great color on that truck.   Reminds me of a Mini Mk I color that's similar called "Maroon B".
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

tsumini

Quote from: jeff10049 on November 23, 2017, 08:05:05 PM
Also I don't like the wheels. Top three choices are chrome steel with moon cap, Craiger, or torque thrust?
Undecided at this point.
Artillery whells may look good. My brother's 32 ford pickup looks good with them.

John Gervais

I like the dark red with black running boards that you're considering, but with classic Crager SS 5-spoke wheels where the rims and centers are painted body color - with only the spokes, center caps and nuts left in chrome.
- Pave the Bay -

jeff10049

That 32 ford looks like it might just have a wee bit of power on tap  4.gif

tsumini

Yeah 354 hemi with 6 strombergs. He lives on a dirt road.

jeff10049

Got some stripper and spent a day removing the zolatone crap from the interior and door jambs also stripped the dash.
Hand sanded all the stripped areas the next weekend and sandblasted any rust areas have a chepo harbor freight blaster works ok.
Primed all the bare steel then started block sanding the rest of the cab almost ready for the first high build primer.
Had to weld in every single trim screw hole in the interior because some idiot used giant flat blade furniture screws to hold in the trim and oversized the holes.

jeff10049

jeff10049

installed new cab corners this weekend.

jeff10049

Since the last post a lot has happened on this one the existing paint on the cab was blocked with 36 grit to start getting it straight. Then body filler is done and a quick 80 grit block over it all so the primer would not have to fill 36.
Then primed with 3 good coats of high build primer blocked again in 220.
A few spots needed more filler and now its primed with another 3 coats of high build hopefully the last primer going to start 320 sanding soon.
Also welded up all extra holes in the firewall and smoothed it out a little.

jeff10049

After 220 grit blocking and re prime pictures.

jeff10049

Made a big change on color choice going with a caddy color from 1963 called benton blue.
A friend gave me a way cool old school under dash a/c unit all metal even the vents and all the litttle air deflectors in side them are metal.
I cleaned it up and painted it the benton blue.
Same friend happens to have a 63 caddy we just painted benton blue and decided it would be a great color for the truck.

farseer80

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

jeff10049

I think we found the wheels they remind me of an old halibrand style. And thats what was looking for when these came up much more affordable.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

My guess would be the bolt pattern: 5 holes on 4.75" centers?

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad