1950 Chevy truck restore

Started by jeff10049, November 23, 2017, 07:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

bolt pattern  5 lug 4.75 lug spacing. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jeff10049

many hours of block sanding and the cab is painted inside and out.
Also got the frame cleaned up and painted.
I will start a post about the clear gun I just got and used to spray this it's amazing and worth twice what it cost in the time I will save sanding and buffing.

BruceK

Looking good!  The color looks great.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

jeff10049

Getting a lot done on this I thought the engine was ok but some one used more silcone than I can even explain and the extra got in the oil pickup and starved the bearings it also had some low compression pistons so I went through the engine. New rod and main bearings, flat top pistons, comp 260 cam, air gap intake, mallory hei, holley street avenger carb.

jeff10049

Picked up some cool valve covers got the engine in started mounting the a/c compressor, got a new heater core and redid the heater box, started getting the steering hooked up. A/c is gonna be tight but I dont want those stupid brackets everone makes for the car building tv show retards that hang the A/C over the valve cover and the alt over the other valve cover they look like shit.

jeff10049

found a 700r4 overdrive automatic on facebook for a great deal got a kit and went through it it is now installed. Started putting in the new wiring harness,installed a classic auto sound radio, had to notch an inner fender for the a/c did that and got them painted.

jeff10049

Have been woking on the bed and rear fenders for a while got those painted today ended up just getting a new tailgate, front bed panel, and rear crosssill they were shot.

gr8kornholio

Coming along nicely.  I do love that color.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jeff10049

I have spent at least one day each weekend on this its nearing the end.
Got the bed assembled on installed went with a nice grass for the load floor a CNC router made quick work of it.

jeff10049

Got the nose and doors painted and all 9 million bolts holding the nose on. Rebuilt the window regulators and painted all the glass trim and small parts. New weather strip everywhere.  A/C condenser lines and drier installed.

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

OK, a couple of questions - I take it the pins are a press fit to the rods? But I was always told NOT to heat the end of the rod to put the pin in - although I know a lot of shops that do it that way. I press the ones in the Mini pistons cold...I made a fixture so it wouldn't damage the piston. Do you use Teflon buttons or anything to make sure the pin won't move after it's running?

It must be wonderful to have that much room in your shop - how big is it? Plus I noticed the mezzanine level too! And ton's of light....do you have heat/A/C in there too?

How many spool valves does the 700R have for gosh sakes? And how the heck do you remember where they all go?

Is this going to be a work truck or just for show? I really like the bed floor, but is it made from one panel? Plywood?

Is that a Kubota or a Kyote?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

That bed looks absolutely fantastic

tsumini

Looks like the bed is bamboo?

jeff10049

Dave,
Pins are an interference fit standard procedure is to heat them even for aircraft Sunnen even sells an induction rod heater not sure why you were told not to heat them that is recommended way. With a proper fixture, cold pressing is also fine.  Buttons are only used for full floating bushed rods when sprial clips are not used.

Some of the pictures were at the business that's where the mezzanine is in the automotive bay if you remember.. The truck stays home as I don't want to personal stuff to interfere with business Just had some parts there I use the mezzanine as my space. Have Heat at the shop and home no a/c in either but I have a porta cool at the shop we use when/where needed.

I don't know how many valves the  700 has but an ATSG guide is essential when rebuilding go step by step and pay attention automatics are no big deal I take pictures as well. Lay every valve and spring out in order and take a picture just in case.

The truck is a driver for the wife i'll drive it some too. Bed floor is solid bamboo CNC routed from a sheet into individual boards.

Koyoti tractor I did a shit ton of research and they are the better value better all around really I demo both and it was koyoti hands down It was less money but I would have still chosen it even if it cost more.

jeff10049

well that 700r4 transmission just about kicked my arse.

I thought I had a late 1-2 shift and couldn't figure it out until I realized I actually had a 1-3 shift no 2nd at all.

More experienced builders told me it can't be a band apply problem if it has 4th because 2nd and 4th both use the band.

So after looking for a problem elsewhere and reading and looking some more and pulling the valve body checking all the valves for sticking, I decided to check the band apply servo well it has 2 pistons on a common pin to apply the band and I somehow left a seal off the 2nd apply piston :-[

It was in the leftovers from the kit...I installed the seal, reinstalled the valve body filled up the fluid and it works absolutely perfect the transgo shift kit is great almost like it knows what your thinking when it shifts.

At least I didn't have to pull the entire transmission back out.

jeff10049

got my wheels and tires truck is at the interior shop looks like were gonna make it for hot august nights.

MiniDave

Did you add power steering? Otherwise I can't see how your tiny wife is going to drive this!   8.gif 77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

The front end is an AMC pacer power disc brakes and power rack and pinion steering...use to be a common conversion for these trucks they line up perfectly to the frame rails and bolt right in. Rear-end is whatever the good Dodge one is 8.5? I don't remember right now but that makes the lug pattern match.
It really drives nice and stops very well I added an adjustable valve to the rear brakes so they won't lock up prematurely.

jeff10049

We put about 1000 miles on finished the last details the night before leaving for reno. Hot August nights was badass.

the drive across the desolate desert was great our friends came along in their 1970 Cadillac I thought for a minute a pissed bull in a cattle drive we stopped for was going after the caddy but they rounded it up.

Our pickup cruised at 70 MPH A/C was ice cold and we got 18 MPG. Zero problems with either car.

jeff10049

My 3 favorite cars that i saw this lincon with a had built v12 and this merc. Also really liked this 50 chevy.