Started by MiniDave, June 24, 2017, 03:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Ah.   Next to human kids, they look like the best kind of trouble.

Names?   Story?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

We were looking for an adult dog, one say 3-5 years old that we could rescue or rehome......but all we found were 13-15 year olds who had lost their family due to death or being moved to assisted care facilities....and while our hearts went out to a poor older dog who was suddenly alone without the family they had had for a very long time, we didn't feel we could take losing another dog so soon.....

We still weren't looking for puppies tho, then Don found these in the newspaper ads - I didn't even know newspapers still had ads! Most of the puppies we'd seen were incredibly expensive, these two were far more reasonable, even tho they are AKC purebreds. 8 weeks old now and just little bundles of energy and inquisitiveness!

We drove out to see them - about 2 hours away in Boonville, Mo - and spent an hour or so with them and the folks who had them, met the daddy and mommy doggy too - daddy is a silver miniature and mommy is a blonde mini - after a lot of discussion we decided to get both, not just one. I just wrapped the deal up on the phone and we'll pick them up in a few days once they have all their AKC papers and such.

One is black and the other apricot, boys this time instead of girls.... there is a third one in the crate - a sable, which is very rare, but the family decided they wanted to keep that one.

Haven't named them yet, looking for inspiration for that ......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

When I watched the 2nd video I started laughing out loud when I saw those little tails beating back and forth.   4.gif  Congrats on the new pooches! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

FurKids!

I adopted/was adopted by an older dog (my mom's dog when mom passed away), but then I was already family to the dog.  Her everyday name is Memy - a shortened version of the shorter version of her registered name "Ferlin's Precious Memory".  She is an Affenpinscher and only maybe twice the size of those puppies - weighs about 8.75 pounds.  She was given to my parents when she had to be retired from showing - could not carry a pregnancy.  She was a three time champion when she was retired.  The breeder/shower is a family friend.

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on June 24, 2017, 05:27:08 PM
When I watched the 2nd video I started laughing out loud when I saw those little tails beating back and forth.   4.gif  Congrats on the new pooches!

I know!  ;D

We could not decide between the two of them....so we gave in and got them both. Both the daddy and mommy were very active, interested, happy seeming dogs too, so we're hopeful that these two will bring a lot of love and joy into our lives also.

We've both been a bit morose since we lost the girls, I'm hopeful this will help heal the rift left by their passing.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Looks like the boys will be coming home with us tomorrow, as I don't have to work.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, it was an interesting 2nd day with the boys from Boonville, when we got home from picking them up the apricot one was very lethargic, and wouldn't eat or drink - it's very easy for dogs this small to get dehydrated and you can lead a Poo to water, as they say. Late that night Rose did get him to drink a bit but he still would not eat. Meanwhile, the black one ate kibble and drank like a normal tiny dog, and took a poop almost as big as he was!

The next day - yesterday - Rose cooked up some chicken and rice and apricot tore into that and drank normally, he also was absolutely full of energy, running around just as the black one had done the day before - but this time it was the black one who was lethargic and would not eat or drink. All day he laid around and finally again late at night Rose got him to eat something.

Today they're both like you would expect little pups to be, wiggly balls of energy, their favorite playtime seems to be to see who can take down whom! Poodle wrestling is the order of the day out side.....

It's good to see they have both returned to "normal" puppy behavior, but they're still not eating, although the apricot took his dump today, so I'm hopeful that having emptied out they're ready to fill up again.

As we speak, the black one is curled up at my feet already napping, and the apricot is in the corral under the coffee table doing the same.

This has been the poodle report for Wed, June 28,2017. 

;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

I've been told some of the lethargy may be them reacting to the change in environment and being the only dogs around (missing their "family").

I still get some of that with mine and the very recent move brings it on a bit more again.

Yours being puppies, they should "grow" out of it more readily. 

MiniDave

That's what we're hoping too, and why we got both of them rather than just the one.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

rmonagel

Those puppies look cute and adorable. I'm sure they will bring joy in your family.

MiniDave

I forgot to update this thread......the scary times weren't over,  they still wouldn't eat and again they were very lethargic and unhappy, so I took them to the vet as they hadn't eaten now in three days and they put a tube down their throats and force fed them.

Once again getting food into their little bellies brought them around again - the doc also gve them some pills - apparently when their routine gets upset like this it triggers a large growth of bacteria in their digestive system, which makes them nauseated and generally not feel good. Getting food to process thru their systems and adding the medicine clears this up and sure enough, a week later we now have our wriggly, energetic, feistly little pups.

I have a follow up appointment with the vet on Wed for their immunization shots, it will be interesting to see how much they've grown - Neo feels twice the size of his brother.

I'll upload another vid a little later to show the difference..... stay tuned!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Make sure both are eating, drinking, weeing and pooping.

If one seems growing much more than the other, it could be he is stealing the some of the other's food.

MiniDave

We thought that might be happening as the breeder fed them all from the same bowl, so we feed them separately. No question about their "output" these days   😀

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Took this a couple of days ago......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Today it was Vet day, they got dewormed again, flea pilled, and the usual puppy immunization shots......$240 worth! Yikes   :-\

Neo has gone from 2.8 to 4.0 lbs, and Remo has gone from 2.3 to 3.2 lbs in just one week, so they are definitely growing - fast! - their next visit is in three weeks and I expect them both to be around 5 - 6 lbs. The vet says whatever weight they are at 16 weeks, double it and that will be their adult weight. We're expecting them to top out at 10-12lbs like their parents.....but I think Neo might be quite a bit bigger than his brother based on their current rate of growth - but who knows, they could even out over time.

Neo promptly threw up his pills when we got home from the vet's, so I'll be going back for a second dose this afternoon. I don't think it was anything to do with the pills, just nerves from all the travel, shots and such cause once we got back in the house (I managed to get him out to the back yard before he dumped it) he was playing and chasing Remo around as usual.

10 minutes later they're both zonked out under the couch...... ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I think the boys have doubled in size in the last couple of weeks - potty training is still a work in progress although Neo will now pee on command - the problem is he also pees on his own command!  ::)

Tonight we successfully walked the entire block, with only a few tangles and ring-around-the-mommy's...Neo already looks like he'll be easiest to walk as he mosty just puts his head down and gets on with it, Remo OTOH wants to stop and smell the roses, and every single other thing on both sides of the sidewalk, including all the pee-mail left by all the other dogs ever walked on this road!

But for 13 weeks old I think they're coming along nicely.......

Wed they go to the vet for the next round of shots, then we can take them out in public, like to the dog park and such...I'll get their weight then but I'm thinking Neo is close to 7 lbs and Remo 6, or just under.

Neo is starting to look like the dog he will be, Remo still looks more like a Yorkie or Elf but short of a DNA test the vet thinks he's actually a poodle after all.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Mine is not doing so well.  Memy has been not well since Monday night.  I've had her to the vet twice this week already.  She has barely eaten the last few days.  The vet said some of her lymph nodes are swollen and she has fluid in/around her lungs - possible pneumonia.  She does not seem to be responding to meds and has begun throwing up what little food I can squirt down her.

She is almost 13 years old which is in the middle of the lifespan range for Affennpinschers (12 -14 years).

MiniDave

I understand what you're saying......best wishes for a quick recovery or an end to her suffering.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Had Memy at the vet again this morning.  They are still optimistic.  They gave her IV fluids and antibiotics.  I'm to take her back again Monday for follow up.

I'm still hoping she'll pull through.

PS> Sorry for the thread "hijack".

MiniDave

Watch what happens when I snap my fingers......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Poor Rose, at first it was any nightgown or long dress, now even her pants aren't safe from the attack of tiny teeth!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Today's mini, tiny, bantam, flyweight weigh-in......

In this corner, weighing a great big solid 6.2 lbs we have Neo!

And in this corner, weighing a dainty little 5.1 lbs - Remo!

The vet gave them both shots, Neo went first and apparently they hit a bad spot cause he screamed the whole time she was injecting him - twice.

So when the tech went to pick up Remo, he started crying and peed all down the tech. He also screamed on the first shot but didn't on the second. It's always hard to go thru hurting them like this but you gots to do what you gots to do.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I won this sweater at a MIni event somewhere someplace, but it was far too small to fit the girls,  I thought it might fit 5 lb Remo......and it does, just barely. But I know both boys are going to continue to grow....so if anyone has a 5lb or smaller dog or even maybe a shorthair of some kind, you're welcome to it!

The good news is after the trama of the vet's visit the other day both boys seem to have recovered and are their usual happy, energetic, PITA selves. The bathroom training is taking hold at last although it gets interesting when it rains all day like today - but at least they don't seem to be bothered by thunder and lightning.

They've found rabbit pellets from the back yard to be quite the tasty treat, and cicada's are a particular fun thing to chase and eat....Rose cringes every time they get one in their mouths as she hates to remove them, and of course they do their best keep away game as soon as you start to head for them! I think it's fun watching their expressions as the bug buzzes in their mouth trying to get away!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Today we have puppy keep away, using a blossom from a Rose A Sharon tree...

They run so fast at times I couldn't keep them in the camera frame.....this was about the third time, so they were slowing down and about to quit for the day. At one point Remo would scurry under the table and Neo would circle around the outside of it at full speed!

Remo is a little smaller than Neo so he would dive under my mower, or under one of the chairs for safety - Neo can still get under there too but I guess it's part of their game that that was a "safe" spot, then Remo would tear out with Neo in hot pursuit all over again.

Sometimes Neo lays flat on his belly, and Remo will tear across the yard and body slam him - these boys play pretty rough!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad