Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Keeps the shift linkage lubricated!   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The new "unleaded" head going on.  A new copper topped head gasket is under there and a new piece of heater hose for the thermostat bypass hose.  New studs will be installed for the manifold and thermostat housing (I just have to find them in the boxes of parts).

I had to open one of the tappet covers as one of the lifters had pulled up and out of its guide when I took out the push-rods.  I have new seals for the tappet covers anyway and will put them back on with the new seals.

pbraun

Looking good!  I have an 850 Moke - 1965 - finally on the road this spring - been driving it around and so far happy enough with the 850. 

Your project reminds me of mine - I did get a 998 along the way, but decided not to use it at this time. If I do go for an upgrade, will probably do a 1275, but for now I'll just putter along.

Interested in seeing your progress!  Keep up the good work
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

Yep, coming along nicely....it always baffles me how parts bathed in oil inside an engine can rust - like those pushrods. Other than that the insides of that engine look pretty clean!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The rocker assembly is now back on and the head torqued down to 40 ft-lbs per the manual.  I have not adjusted the valves yet - they are still all backed off.  I may leave those until after getting the transmission swapped.  Going to move on to that this week.

MPlayle

Well, my efforts on the transmission swap just stalled.  My flywheel locking tool seems to have gone missing at some point.  I could swear that was one tool I kept after the last full project Mini several years back.  I think I may have loaned it out and it did not come back, can't remember for certain.  Oh well, such is life.

Going to have to order another.  Might as well order a flywheel puller at the same time versus see if one from Harbor Freight would work.  I'll evaluate the clutch arm and plunger to see if those need replaced as well.

MiniDave

I use an old main bearing shell to hold the flywheel while I take off or torque the flywheel bolt......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Been so long since I pulled one off a mini but on my rx7 bolted a chain to the flywheel and block to work the flywheel nut off.

MPlayle

I don't have anything like a main bearing shell to use.  Somerford Mini sells a tool specially made to lock the flywheel.  It engages a few teeth of the flywheel and bolts to where the starter mounts.  I had one before, but can't find it now.

Ordered the specialty tool from Somerford.  Also ordered some other clutch parts from Mini Spares as the arm and plunger had significant wear.  I'll replace those two plus the throw-out bearing, clevis pins, slave cylinder, push rod, rear seal, and line from the master to the slave (going with the one-piece flex/braided line - one each for clutch and brakes).

MPlayle

The order from MiniSpares arrived yesterday.  Still need the flywheel locking tool from Somerford to arrive - its coming by regular post.

Finally got an update on the new Moke shell - about another 4 weeks for completion as there were delays getting all the panels that resulted in a shift in project order at M-Parts.

That puts the shipping date right near my next apartment move - downsizing where my mom passed away and I no longer need a three bedroom apartment.

pbraun

Quote from: MiniDave on May 10, 2017, 11:29:20 AM
I use an old main bearing shell to hold the flywheel while I take off or torque the flywheel bolt......

Yeah, so do I. Prior to that discovery I just used a super large screwdriver and jammed it in there.
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MPlayle

Well, the tool is ordered and should arrive next week. 

Time is one thing I seem to have plenty of right now.  Unfortunately, it does not always seem to be in my favor.  The new body is currently scheduled to be completed in about another 4 weeks - right when I downsize apartments.

MPlayle

Still waiting for the flywheel locking tool.  I may try the wedged screwdriver method in order to start making progress again.

On top of it, they replaced the roof on my apartment building Friday.  The garage has no ceiling - open all the way to the roof.  I now have OSB flakes all over everything in the garage.

MPlayle

Swept most of the garage yesterday to clean up the OSB flakes before tearing further into the engine.

The flywheel locking tool was at my PO box today, so that will make moving forward a bit easier.

MPlayle

I now have the clutch/flywheel assembly off.  The keyed washer was a pain to pry loose.

I also got VERY lucky.  The 'C' washer the manual warns you about ... had been installed upside down!  I had the timing marks properly lined up for #1TDC and the washer turned out to be facing down.  Fortunately, things were sticky enough it did not fall loose until after I had the flywheel/clutch clear off.

MiniDave

Why did you pull the back cover off? Flywheel end crankshaft seal?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

In order to change the transmission.  I am putting in one of the Guessworks "Hybrid" transmissions - latest 4-synchro gearset in a magic-wand case.

MiniDave

Oh crap.......I forgot! It's hell getting old....... :-[

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I do have a new rear seal that will be going in as a precaution since I had to pull the housing for the transmission change.

MPlayle

No pictures today, but another small step of progress: the studs from the old transmission case have been moved to the new transmission case, the flywheel housing completely degreased/cleaned and the outside repainted in the same silver as the clutch cover and oil feed pipe/filter housing.

(Yes, I'm going the "black & silver" color scheme on the engine.)

I'm hoping to get the old transmission removed tomorrow or Sunday.

MiniDave

Do you have an engine hoist? I can comfortably lift a bare block - but block, head, crank, cam and pistons.....nope.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Yes, I have an engine hoist.  Used it to transfer the engine from the pallet it arrived on to the dolly it now rests on.  I will be using it for making the separation - hopefully tomorrow.

MPlayle

Well, good-news-bad-news time.

Good: I have the 998 block separated from its original transmission and just resting on the "hybrid" transmission (no seals done yet).

Bad: The original middle transfer gear on the 998 is the newer "thick shaft" gear and the "hybrid" transmission case is the earlier "narrow shaft" bearing.

Time to research a solution:
a) Is there a "cross-over" gear available?
b) Can I locate an earlier sized gear, thrust washers and flywheel housing?

I really don't want to wait and tear into the 850 to see what size it has and possibly "rob" it for the fix.

MiniDave

John at Guessworks will know, and he'll have the part if there is any such thing.....maybe all you need is a different bearing?

http://www.guess-works.com/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I did not think to go back to Guessworks for a possible solution.

There is a conversion bearing available (both at MiniSpares and Guessworks).  I ordered one and a new idler gear and some thrust washers from MiniSpares.

While I wait, I get to pull the idler gear bearing from the flywheel housing.  I already got out the outer race of the input shaft bearing.  I'll get both out, touch up the paint on the housing and install both new ones when the idler gear stuff arrives later in the week.