Lusting after stupid vehicles...

Started by Jims5543, August 04, 2015, 02:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadhouse

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on April 19, 2016, 05:57:11 AM
Looks like a fun toy, especially if it's got 400hp.

Well, it has 165 now, and will for a while until I get some other project out of the way.

But, yes, I had a 1980 Targa with a 3.6 swap and it was a blast!  I miss that car and regret selling it.  I hope this deal happens.

Quote from: roadhouse on April 19, 2016, 11:45:53 AM
Love the widebody

My 1980 was not a widebody and I agree nothing sexier than a 930 Porsche  the ass end of them is nothing but sexyness. As luck would have it he is showing the car to another party today, if they pass I am up.

Fingers crossed.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

You seem to know your Porsches, but surely you know the factory did not do the widebody kit in 77?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

I was if the understanding that it was an option. Do not have time to look it up. Maybe it was an aftermarket deal not sure.

Car sold to another party. I should have moved on it sooner.

Oh well...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Would love to pick up some sort of vintage/unique racer...would probably just rallycross it so wouldn't need to meet any sort of current race spec.

Glad this isn't closer.

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/04/20/made-for-lemons-1500-1983-alfa-romeo-alfasud-racer-project/

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

That sucker is going to scream up to 30K... watch...

I would love to own one, the timing is just wrong.  My friend just found an amazing Porsche 944 Turbo that has been very well maintained. I am fighting a huge urge right now. The price is very right for it too.

Must resist.....

I see a Prius in my future, as much as I want to fight it, it just makes sense and is what we really need until the lad is through with school. Once he graduates, hell, I can see a Maserati or Ferrari in my garage.  I like the Eye Tallion pasta cars.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

I am surprised 25K was a good deal that was a nice example too, I saw a pic where he has a for sale sign asking 30K or more, so I figured it would get to there.

That was a sweet deal, just bad timing right now, I need some bills gone first, as in Mortgage payment.

Mudhen

I'm thinking about this (sorry for the screen cap, it's the only way I could grab it):

Seriously.  It will be the most ambitious project yet that I never complete!

Now, back to the drunk thread...

MPlayle

To cross between the two threads: What were you drinking when you had the thought(s) of undertaking fixing that?!?

Mudhen

Quote from: MPlayle on September 16, 2016, 03:15:34 PM
To cross between the two threads: What were you drinking when you had the thought(s) of undertaking fixing that?!?

lol.  An 8%er on an empty stomach!   4.gif

Jims5543

Damn, I wonder what happened to the Mini that turned it into a BBQ?

I cannot think of a single reason why that car would be worth buying.

flipstah

Yup.

That's how I ended up with a 70s Land Rover, a 928 S4, and now a Volvo wagon which is quite boring.

MPlayle

I succumbed to the "Mini Disease" again.  This is on its way to me:

More details after it arrives next week.

John Gervais

That looks rather, um, clean!  :-\

4.gif
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Just  in time for cooler weather!   4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Oooo!! Nice Moke looks like it is in pristine condition.

I might flip this doing some research now and seeing what it would be worth with a few minor issues sorted out. Tempted to sell the E30 and keep this, I have to admit.

Merlin

You let me know what you want for the E30 if you go that route.
Engineering the Impossible

BruceK

Congrats on the Moke, Michael!   Looks like it will be a lot of fun. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yeah, we need more pics and a full report on the Moke!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The Moke should be due to arrive in the next day or so.

It is supposed to be the original 850 engine still in it.  I'm planning a few upgrades - front disk brakes, final drive change (factory was usually a 3.76, a 3.1 gear set is coming with it), maybe some upgrades to the 850 (versus a complete engine swap).

We'll see how it goes for the amount of "tinkering".  It is not perfect, but in nice condition (a previous owner sometime back replaced some side and floor panels with flat steel versus the proper panels).  Planning on enjoying it and hanging on to it a bit longer than the last couple of Minis.

More pictures after it arrives.

Jims5543

Quote from: Merlin on September 29, 2016, 09:42:29 AM
You let me know what you want for the E30 if you go that route.

That deal died before it got started. Guy was asking 20K then 16K then he dropped the price to 15K but was pissed about it. I was thinking, since we go back a ways and I bought a basket case RX7 off him once, I could offer 14K fix a couple of the issues driving the price down and resell for closer to 20K.

I have a good friend that flips cars as a hobby and makes good money doing it. He used to work for Autogeek (a car detailing supply company that also teaches how to detail, paint correction etc) he flipped 2 cars in a row, a 911 and Z06 Vette and made over 40K on those 2 flips.

The trick is buying at the right price, finding the sweet deals.

With the work this car needed done, the most I could offer was 12K which I knew would send him over the deep end. So I respectfully bowed out.  Keep in mind my E30 was 12K and I was happy to pay it. When I am done going over it I could ask 17K for it and would probably get close to 16K for it. I plan on keeping it for a while I can only see it going up in value as time passes.