Lusting after stupid vehicles...

Started by Jims5543, August 04, 2015, 02:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalMiniFan

Quote from: MPlayle on March 07, 2016, 08:42:37 AM
The Subaru conversion could be done, but you will have to do something additional to accommodate the radiator.  That Vanagon is one of the older air-cooled ones.  The water-cooled Vanagons are more conducive to the conversion.

The 2.2l and some of the 2.5L Subaru engine conversions are even California approved.

Yes this one is definitely air-cooled! I tried to find us a water-cooled one but it tweaked the number of good looking runners into astronomical price ranges, I didn't even consider a 4x4 Syncro or an already Subie converted one those were ALL over 20g's. There is a 4x4 w/Audi conversion locally, asking price = 60'g, I gently told the better half that was a bit out of our budget!   

This one was priced well and the previous owner was a body shop guy so this thing is 100% rust free and I can comfortable say not a single dent in it, interior is in tip-top shape and all original including the tear free fully functioning pop-top. Top it off with a fresh coat of paint and she's very easy on the eyes if you can get over her loaf of bread appearance. She also has a fully rebuilt VW engine with all paperwork to match so we will actually just be hitting the road as is for a while. The previous owner bought it, fixed it up and was planning to tour the US in it but he has medical bills stacking up.  We spent 4 hours with the guy on Saturday talking cars, camping, and life. He was really stoked to see two "kids" as he refereed to us come see it and have big plans of adventure.

I've done a bit of Subie conversion research thus far and feel confident I can do it and I've found step-by-step instructions of how to plumb in Coolant lines for the radiator and other things that will need to be done to swap an air-cooled VW to a a Subaru. So most likely in a year or so I'll delve into the swap.  I need to negotiate some work space to do it since I don't think my neighbors signed up to live next to my own private mechanic garage.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

MPlayle

Sounds like you are on the right track for it.  Doing the right research is the biggest benefit.

John Gervais

I've always wondered why those VW's came in brown...  I'd paint it something a bit more funky.

What about a 911/912 engine swap?  Maybe less complicated?

Lust is a bad thing - I've always had a hankering for an old early '70's Winnebago...  Cousin Eddy style, but maybe a short wheel base model.

Or a Pinzgauer van...  Or a Unimog pickup truck...  Or an H1 Hummer...  Or a 1st generation Viper... Or a ...
- Pave the Bay -

SoCalMiniFan

Quote from: John Gervais on March 07, 2016, 05:28:37 PM
I've always wondered why those VW's came in brown...  I'd paint it something a bit more funky.

Lust is a bad thing - I've always had a hankering for an old early '70's Winnebago...  Cousin Eddy style, but maybe a short wheel base model.

Or a Pinzgauer van...  Or a Unimog pickup truck...  Or an H1 Hummer...  Or a 1st generation Viper... Or a ...

Lust is awful, this whole VW thing came about because I was lusting over the idea of converting a short school bus into the ultimate road warrior and stumbled upon an ad for a Westy. Mind you an ad for another Westy not the Westy we will own.  It created this whirlwind of must find a Westy thing!

And... I hate the color but the better half is in love. I think she feels how I did when I brought home my Mini and I'm feeling how she did when I brought home my Mini. The household is in perfect harmony again!

Jims5543

Quote from: John Gervais on March 07, 2016, 05:28:37 PM

I like the way this guy thinks, although with he prices of the air cooled Porsche 911's screaming out of control that might not be a great option.

Maybe just building a stout air cooled VW engine might be a good idea?   VW Parts are still very reasonable.

I love those old Westies, they look like fun. What a great way to go on a road trip.

I think I mentioned it before, BMW made a camper called a Vixen, I would love to track one down and fix it up. No room or time for that. So many cars so little space.

Oh and +1 on a first gen Viper, love those too!!!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Here you go SCMF!  Way more street cred than that foreign sillyness.

(taken off BAT today:  http://bringatrailer.com/2016/03/07/no-hippies-1967-dodge-a100-custom-sportsman-camper/ )

MiniDave

Jim, the Vixen was an American made motor home, tho it did use a BMW diesel engine, built in the late 80's....read all about it here.... http://www.vixenrv.com/History.php
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

SoCalMiniFan

Quote from: Mudhen on March 08, 2016, 07:07:52 AM
Here you go SCMF!  Way more street cred than that foreign sillyness.

(taken off BAT today:  http://bringatrailer.com/2016/03/07/no-hippies-1967-dodge-a100-custom-sportsman-camper/ )

Holy crap, that thing is AMAZING!  LoL. So glad we didn't see that the other day!

jeff10049

Jims5543

LOL!!! That looks like a Grateful Dead touring van.

One of these is for sale 7 miles from my house.  I may go look at it this weekend.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on March 11, 2016, 02:40:35 PM
LOL!!! That looks like a Grateful Dead touring van.

One of these is for sale 7 miles from my house.  I may go look at it this weekend.

4.gif

I love the 695 Biposto.

http://jalopnik.com/the-fiat-500-695-biposto-is-the-nuttiest-abarth-yet-1536075265

Not that I could afford it even IF they decided to bring it here.  But Lexan windows and a dogbox?   :-\

Jims5543

No go on the Fiat for a few reasons. We went and looked at one this morning.

Did not like the blind spots, they are worse than my FJ Cruiser and it is horrible.  This should not be on such a small car.

The Autotrader ad has it priced at $12,500, when we got to the stealership the window sticker was $16,000.

I did some research online and there are just too many negative reviews on this car to ignore. This is a pretty new car, and the laundry list of items failing is way too long for my comfort, if I wanted a car in for service every other week I would get a used audi.

This particular car was owned by a smoker so this car was surely out.

The bottom line, I was not a fan of the blind spots and the porthole back windows those 2 things were deal breakers for me. Back to looking at Bini's.

MPlayle

Many dealerships run their pricing that way.  They will have an "internet" price and a "street" price.  The "internet" price will be significantly lower than the "street" price.  If you indicate you are there to see it due to the internet posting, you will get the "internet" price.

I've gotten that at two different dealerships here in Texas on two different cars I've subsequently owned.  (I took the "internet" price on their car and negotiated up my trade-in on the one to get the 'out-of-pocket' I wanted, paid cash for the other as a "toy".)

Jims5543

The Fiat is obviously out, and yes, Mike, when I see 2 different prices, total turnoff.

I am back to looking for a decent 2003-2005 Bini CooperS vert.

I stumbled across this stupidity for $4k and have to control myself.

Quote1979 Triumph TR-7 Drop Head Coupe(Roadster)..... 2.0 Liter OHC w/Dual carbs,5 speed,AC,power disc brakes,factory rally wheels,luggage rack,etc..... 56,000 miles.

Unrestored Central Florida car.NOT rusty.Mostly original paint that is showing its age,but is useable.Interior is original.Only the drivers side seat bottom cloth insert is worn.Rest of interior is great.Carpet needs cleaned.Dash is perfect with NO cracks.Top is worn but a new $450 Robbins top is included.

Runs very good,and drives nice.Minimal cosmetic restoration and you will have a show car,or just enjoy it as the nice survivor it is.

Willie_B

jims5543

I am back to looking for a decent 2003-2005 Bini CooperS vert.

Expand your search. There are two in the Atlanta area on craigslist. I can pick you up at the airport and drive you to check them out. Have a lift in the garage and a spare bedroom if needed.

MiniDave

Jut FYI, '05 was the first year for the MINI convertible......and "justa" Coopers will have the Midlands 5 speed gearbox or the CVT, S models will come with a Getrag 6 speed manual or the Aisin 6 speed auto box.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: Willie_B on March 13, 2016, 11:18:46 AM
Expand your search. There are two in the Atlanta area on craigslist. I can pick you up at the airport and drive you to check them out. Have a lift in the garage and a spare bedroom if needed.

A very generous offer and it is much appreciated. In case you have not noticed, I have adhd, my friend emailed me this Mini and I am making moves on it.  It is a 04 JCW and has 60K miles on it.

Quote from: MiniDave on March 13, 2016, 11:49:12 AM
Jut FYI, '05 was the first year for the MINI convertible......and "justa" Coopers will have the Midlands 5 speed gearbox or the CVT, S models will come with a Getrag 6 speed manual or the Aisin 6 speed auto box.

Correct you are, I forgot Bini took a while to come out with the Vert, that would be why I am only finding 05 verts for sale. I found one in Miami with 80K miles and unmolested but I think the hardtop above is more my style. Wife is pessimistic she feels like she is going to end up in a race car.

When I had my JCW, if I drove like a maniac (90% of the time) I got 25 MPG, when I was good, I tried here and there, I would get 30 MPG, we are trying to find a 30+ MPG car but I refuse to buy a boring ecnonobox.

MiniDave

The only time my '03 JCW would do 30 mpg was if I was cruising at 70 or lower, and in the nice weather. On real hot days or real cold winters it was more like 22-25.....but I loved that car. Two problems with it for me, the seats were miserable and it was geared really tall in the lower gears, so on hot summer days with the A/C on it did not want to get going from a dead stop unless I slipped the clutch or turned the A/C compressor off momentarily....once above 2000rpm  or so it was a champ.

I like the MINIs and at the prices they're bringing now they're a real bargain, like all used German cars these days. There are a few issues, but if you're a competent DIYer, you can lick those and have many miles of trouble free running.

Also, that car looks like it has 18's on it - my son had those on his '04 JCW and hated them, they rode terribly and didn't handle that well either.

Lastly, there is no way in hell I'd want a black car with a sunroof in Floriduh....mine was electric blue and it still got hotter than the hubs of hell in there!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

No matter the rims they will be changed, if they will fit, I will be putting lightweight 16" rims on it.  Even if it had the 17" S-lights on it I would be putting lightweight 16" rims, they alone transform the car. The lag you felt may have been the heavy ass run flats and 17" heavy rims that are anything but light.

The black roof was a concern, I have friends in the right places and it will sport a white vinyl roof if I buy it. My FJ is vlack but with a white roof, the white roof is where its at. Plus the car is garage kept even during the day so it will not be baking in the sun.

My JCW got 30 MPG only when I behaved, which was rare, I always drove that car like I stole it and got consistent 25 MPH with it.  Not sure why you were not.  Maybe it was my setup. The rims are everything. the 17" S-"lights" robbed the car of a lot of power. Once I put some 16" 13# rims on it the entire car transformed.

Regardless, I am only in the initial email contact with this guy, that 80K mile Cooper S in Miami may be the contender after all.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

The first thing I thought of when I saw that...the EM-50!

94touring

Jims5543

That was an amazing Vixen and well set up. That was also a great price for an RV that gets 30MPG.

So my beer drinking buddy is being a bad influence again....  I might pick this up next weekend if it does not sell out from under me.

Jims5543

This is all Kevins fault. Kevin is my beer drinking buddy. He and his wife have been dear friends to my wife and I for over 25 years now.

He almost bought it but has too many cars / projects going on, he had been asking me a million questions about these older 911's leading up to his decision to pass on this one. He even went and looked at it.

So I told him to put in an offer on my behalf. I am hoping it is still available. I have some fun plans for this car, it is a 1977 with a 2.7 flat 6 which is the red headed step child of Porsche flat 6 engines. It was prone to lots of problems and had no power (165HP) this car is so cheap that I can buy it, swap in a newer 3.6 (close to 400HP)  and have a really fun car that will still be worth more than I have invested into it.  It is a factory widebody (930 or Turbo model look with the wide rear fenders) the speedo is in KM, and it has a 5 speed, this car is begging for a swap.

This guy is selling very cheap so I fear it is gone already, we should have purchased the day Kevin went to see it, I hesitated and fear it is sold already.

I will let you guys know what happens.

94touring

Looks like a fun toy, especially if it's got 400hp.