Restoring plastic headlights

Started by BruceK, December 04, 2017, 03:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I spent a couple of hours yesterday restoring the plastic headlights on my wifes's car.  They weren't really that bad - some light hazing - but I wanted to jump in before they inevitably got worse.  I did some research on the various kits on the market - there are a lot of them out there!   I read a bunch of reviews and one kit by Sylvania kept coming up.  Unlike some kits, the Sylvania one is completely done by hand - no polishing by electric drill.  Kind of counterintuitive for the best results, but I gave it a try. 

I taped up the bodywork around the headlights with black plastic electrical tape (unlike masking tape it is waterproof) to avoid damaging the paint. The first step was to clean the headlights and apply a special softening spray, then rinse it off.  Then I started wet sanding with 400 grit for 10 minutes keeping everything very wet (instructions said 5 min but I extended the time).  Then a switch to light wet sanding with 1000 grit another 10 min per headlight.   Then light wet sanding with 2000 grit and I again doubled the recommend time to 10 min.  Following the sanding the next thing to do was wash the headlights and apply a polishing paste to each one for 5 minutes.  I didn't extend this time because the polishing paste dries up in about 5 min.  The next step was to wash and apply the softening solution again.  Then a really good final rinse with water and a complete dry including the corners of the headlight housing area.  The final step was to apply the special clear-coat UV protectant that comes with the kit.  That really made the difference. The results were fantastic and the headlights honestly look brand new.   The kit comes with everything you need except the black tape.  It also has a lifetime warranty.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

John Gervais

Wow!  That looks really great!  Does the kit recommend using it above 50 degrees or can one use it year round?
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Looks really good. Sounds like work!

BruceK

Quote from: John Gervais on December 04, 2017, 10:42:16 PM
Wow!  That looks really great!  Does the kit recommend using it above 50 degrees or can one use it year round?

The kit says it must be above 32F (which totally makes sense since water is involved a lot).
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on December 05, 2017, 08:46:32 AM
Looks really good. Sounds like work!

Wet sanding two headlights is nothing compared to the amount of sanding and polishing work you do when painting a car body!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

94touring

Speaking of which, have you done any touchup or additional buffing on your mini?

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on December 05, 2017, 09:44:09 AM
Speaking of which, have you done any touchup or additional buffing on your mini?

I have not.  It still looks great.  But I may get a polisher gift for Christmas. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -