Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I applaud their success, I'm glad that the auction site is there as I enjoy watching some of the auctions and I even wonder about owning some of the cars that show up, but I have too many self employed friends who are suffering from a complete lack of income, and who aren't getting any help from local, state or federal agencies like they were promised to enjoy BaT's success at this time.

So, clearly it's my problem not theirs.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

And yet another Moke has popped up on BaT.  This one is from Oz.  Not as prized as the English Mokes, but with more power and comfort.

So the owner couldn't find a pair of any 13" tires to get rid of the whitewall ones at the rear? 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-austin-mini-moke/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Those are not factory seats.  The Aussie Mokes used several styles of seats, but those were not one of them. 

jedduh01

Quote from: BruceK on April 22, 2020, 10:09:37 AM
And yet another Moke has popped up on BaT.  This one is from Oz.  Not as prized as the English Mokes, but with more power and comfort.

So the owner couldn't find a pair of any 13" tires to get rid of the whitewall ones at the rear? 

Your tire comment... So annoying.. Like the last green Moke on Golfcart dryrotted round donuts... TIRES cost 200$ from the UK.... your'e selling a 25k$ Car.... You cant bring it up to presentable reliablity for 250$ 300$ ...

MPlayle

Quote from: jedduh01 on April 22, 2020, 10:46:27 AM
Your tire comment... So annoying.. Like the last green Moke on Golfcart dryrotted round donuts... TIRES cost 200$ from the UK.... your'e selling a 25k$ Car.... You cant bring it up to presentable reliablity for 250$ 300$ ...

Aussie Mokes with the extended rear swing arms as that one should have can take any basic 13" tire sold locally.  They don't need anything special, so even cheaper.

Jimini II

Those seats look like tractor or forklift seats and the wheels are not the factory Sunraysia ones but trailer wheels.
The floors look to have been done to a good standard and with the 1275 engine disc brakes it should run strong.

One of the best Aussie Moke restorations I saw was Michael's from a few years ago, I think you traded it for a saloon with Big Al.

MPlayle

Yeah, the yellow Aussie Moke I had was very well restored by the owner in Australia before I bought it.  He kept it the original 998.  The only upgrades I did was convert from twin leading shoe front brakes to disk brakes and added the basic rear tuck box for locking storage. 

After Al got it and it started changing hands a bit, it got all kinds of changes made that spoiled it in my opinion.  (The proper bumpers got removed, the original Sunraysia wheels swapped out to 13" sportpack style, radio added with speakers cut into the truck box, gauges reworked.  I think even the side curtains got lost.)

Sometimes, I wish I had kept it instead of trading it away.  I make mistakes like that.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on April 22, 2020, 10:09:37 AM

Well the Aussie Moke in Canada failed to reach its reserve.
It did $16,500 USD / $23,100 Ca which i think should have got it done especially when you consider the Moke and bidder are in Canada.

BruceK

A modified Mini has popped up on BaT.   Convertible Minis are not my cup of tea (and I'm not a fan at all of the modern MINI's convertible models either).   

This is very much a niche Mini.  I don't believe that traditional Mini people will be very interested in it.  Instead I think it will appeal to those who have a peripheral knowledge of Minis and think it is 'cute' and think it will make a good runabout. 

No idea what it will bring, but without the traditional "Mini shape" and with a 998, I would be surprised if it gets past $10K.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-austin-mini-mayfair-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I agree on all points.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on May 05, 2020, 03:34:30 PM
I agree on all points.....

Then you are completely correct sir!   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

I am not a fan of any Mini convertible either.
Looking at the photos it is pretty crusty underneath with a lot of extra underseal hiding who knows what, i am thinking it might do $8k.
Kudo's to the seller for the full disclosure almost 300 pictures, at least you know what you are getting into.

Jimini II

Well the red Keith's convertible came on strong in the last couple of hours closing and selling with a strong
$12,750 bid.
I was not expecting it to do that well with the rust issues it had.

BruceK

There are currently a couple of Minis on BaT:

This VTEC Mini Van with a big nose.  It's been on BaT before.  A square-nose Clubman front end would look a lot better than this plastic surgery job.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-mini-panel-van-2/

And this Mk. I race Mini.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-morris-mini-cooper-s-gt-5-race-car/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

tmsmini

Quote from: BruceK on May 20, 2020, 05:03:13 PM
An ERA Turbo Mini has reappeared on BaT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-mini-era-mini-turbo/

Too bad I have not played the lottery in a month or two.

MiniDave

I remember thinking it sold cheap the last time - $16,750

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

This is a bit of info from when it last sold:
https://thebidwatcher.com/auctions/view/97479

They say $10k out into it since last sold. I think no reserve is a bit risky.
original BAT listing:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-rover-mini-era/

MiniDave

I'm always fascinated to read the invoices from the shops that work on Minis, and amazed at the prices they charge............. and that people pay!

These invoices say the car smokes, and they replaced the valve guide seals to try and cure it, tho the leakdown tests are pretty good at 10% across the cylinders, I'm thinking it needs at least a valve job.

It also has springs instead of rubbers.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

ugh... hope the "Sphincter Shrinker" design is not painted on
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

tmsmini

Quote from: MiniDave on May 21, 2020, 08:50:30 AM
Doing $10K of deferred maintenance does not make the car worth $10K more. I'll be interested to see what it goes for this time too.....

That has always bothered me about buying one of these. There are alot of parts that may have been neglected I would prefer a UK version without AC, but there are so few that you cannot be picky.

I am not sold on springs and I had them on a car for several years.

gr8kornholio

That's why you and dan get so many requests. Any shop in metro area is probably charging 150-250 an hour.   Keep saying I'm going to have to lie about my paint at shows or dan will be inundated with calls. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Dan can't keep doing these lol.  He's worn out. I know I've been saying that for years but I can actually feel it now.

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on May 21, 2020, 08:50:30 AM
I'm always fascinated to read the invoices from the shops that work on Minis, and amazed at the prices they charge............. and that people pay!

These invoices say the car smokes, and they replaced the valve guide seals to try and cure it, tho the leakdown tests are pretty good at 10% across the cylinders, I'm thinking it needs at least a valve job.

If you read on the mechanic states the valve guides are worn so I am guessing he was quoted around $2k for that job based on the previous receipts and said enough is enough.
A lot of money spent at $10k on repairs when you have done less than 700 miles.
If he is looking to get $26k he will be way over the top market price for an ERA but with no reserve it might start a bidding frenzy.
I did notice it has one of those Montana ( I need to drive it in California and pay no tax) titles.