Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on December 03, 2018, 12:35:39 PM

My wild ass guess, here on the first day of this auction, is this car will struggle to break into the low $20Ks.

Bingo.  Bid to $20,100 and RNM.   

Goes to show that no one is going to pay crazy prices for a Mk. I Cooper S that is so far away from being original — and is undocumented at that.   

They could've spent $5000-$7500 to rectify many of those things bringing closer or original and reaped much more in a winning bid.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

I think the only reason it got that high was because he found the body number and it matched the vin number making it a true S, well as true as you can get 51 years later ;)

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on December 05, 2018, 07:18:02 PM
Quote from: Jimini II on December 05, 2018, 05:09:42 PM
Now a 1967 Austin Mini Woodie on BaT with some i am guessing NZ sourced sliding windows in the rear, looks in good shape but mainly a paint job with some fresh wood and a bit of an interior freshen up, the 850 engine looks and by the compression figures is tired along with multiple oil leaks.

Yeah, those rear side windows are weird.  And unecessary?  Normally the wood would be holding the glass in place.  To my eyes this looks a steel-body wagon from NZ - which are pretty much just Vans with rear windows cut in the sheetmetal, that has had a custom wood kit installed, and they had to work the wood around the windows.

Here's the link:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-countryman-2/

And a photo.

This ones not getting much love at around $6k the last time i looked, might be another rnm auction.
Ditch the 850 for at least a 998 and install the UK spec sliders in the rear along with the discs and 10's already there it would be a nice woody.

MPlayle

Actually, the NZ Woody is a "No Reserve" auction.  It will go to a new home whatever the bidding gets up to.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on December 10, 2018, 02:08:24 PM
Actually, the NZ Woody is a "No Reserve" auction.  It will go to a new home whatever the bidding gets up to.

Yeah with no reserve it kind of changes the dynamic and brings out the bargain hunter in bidders. 

My guess, with only a tired 850 under the bonnet, but with a rare and apparently rust-free body that presents well, is this woody will go into the mid-teens. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Another Mk. I Cooper S has shown up on BaT.   

The photos taken on a partly sunny side street don't do it justice at all.  Is it really that difficult to take the time and produce some decent photos?   

But photos aside, this car is much closer to an original-looking car than the recent green Cooper S, and it is really going to attract more bidders and a lot higher price because of that.   No goofy Union Jack roof, no stilly fog lights, no plastic wheel arch trim, and so on.  It's just one day in the auction and it's already up to $12K.   

The seller has provided a Heritage Certificate, but no photos of the underside of the car so far.  Those photos will surely be demanded, so why not start the auction with them?  It's like every new seller is totallly clueless and has not paid any attention at all to previous Mini auctions on BaT!   There should also be some walk-around and driving videos too. That's the bare minimum when trying to sell a car on BaT. 

The interior is not original, the paint has been redone, and the suspension is now by springs.  But all those non-original things will be easily overlooked because this is a genuine Mk. I Cooper S and it looks the part.  I predict that bids will easily go into the mid $30K's, or even higher. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-s-6/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

The last "good" one went RNM at $36K, didn't it?

There definitely seems to be a pattern where Mk1 Cooper S is concerned, has to have this that and the other, but none of this and that......kinda flies in the face of what the Mini has always been - something that everyone made "their own" with mods.

I agree about the proper pics, especially of the typical problem areas, and a driving vid just adds to the excitement of possibly owning the car. If you can't be there to drive it, at least hear it run and see it go.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Just noticed that Michael and came back to correct it but you beat me to it.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on December 10, 2018, 02:20:07 PM

Yeah with no reserve it kind of changes the dynamic and brings out the bargain hunter in bidders. 

My guess, with only a tired 850 under the bonnet, but with a rare and apparently rust-free body that presents well, is this woody will go into the mid-teens.

And I'm on a roll!    4.gif

This No Reserve auction went to $15,250 to sell the car.   I think the buyer good a pretty good deal. Although it is not a typical Woody Mini, it's still a nice one. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

velopackrat

You guys know who Ant Hines is, aside for being the seller of the red S on BaT currently?  Mr. Hines is a movie writer/producer, nominated for an Oscar and Emmys and a Mini freak.  But get this;  his brother is the owner of Somerford Mini in the UK.  I doubt this is the only Mini Ant has in his stable... 

BruceK

Bring a Trailer now has a Moke on auction.

The two-tone green and white color is a bit unusual.   My wild-ass guess is this one, being a small-wheel Mk. I English Moke with its original 850, will appeal to someone looking for a Moke that is kinda somewhat close to original, and will be bid up to the late teens.  The green is a wrap so it can be returned to all white fairly easily (even though it started life as a green Moke).

What do you guys think?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-moke-3/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Looks really odd with the white underneath. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

It might appear enough to some to make it to upper teens, maybe even to mid/low 20's.  It has a bunch of non-standard trim approaches: blacked out light surrounds on headlights, front turn signals and all the rear tail lights; the top is not correct as it has no rear window section and the rear hoop has been modified to add a support brace to keep it upright; the two-tone paint/wrap scheme will detract considerably; the inside of the side cubbies has been painted black; underside painted all black; partially incorrect stamping of the engine number tag.

Tim

The green and white is actually a combo that Austin/Morris used for one of the first 'Auto Show's' that the Moke was displayed at (Earls Court perhaps).  That Moke was white on all the top side metal (hood, wings, tops of the sides) and then green along the sides.  The subframes were also painted in white.  D0E 905C was the plate on that car.  When I saw this picture, I thought it looked very similar to that early one but with reversed colours.  It's obviously not the same car, but does have an historic look to it.  That said, I think my Moke will be painted in a single colour.  77.gif

BruceK

Quote from: velopackrat on December 13, 2018, 12:35:39 PM
You guys know who Ant Hines is, aside for being the seller of the red S on BaT currently?  Mr. Hines is a movie writer/producer, nominated for an Oscar and Emmys and a Mini freak.  But get this;  his brother is the owner of Somerford Mini in the UK.  I doubt this is the only Mini Ant has in his stable...

Cool! A Mini with a Hollywood connection.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on December 13, 2018, 08:18:47 PM
Quote from: velopackrat on December 13, 2018, 12:35:39 PM

Cool! A Mini with a Hollywood connection.

Wait.  Wait a minuite.   This guy is associated with movie production and he shoots all his videos for the auction in PORTRAIT mode? 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

velopackrat

As I've said before, you could offer your services as a consultant to Mini sellers and they would be wise to pay your fee:)

Jimini II

Remove the wrap and it has a zebra stripe paint job on it (see meb's Jalopnik link) so will need a complete outer paint job at least to bring it back somewhat to stock. Still looks for the most part o be rust free judging by the floors at least.

The red S looks like a patchwork quilt floor job from underneath and with the vin plate and possibly the body number being repo's i am guessing will not reach it's true potential but still a decent driver level car.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on December 11, 2018, 06:47:44 AM

...I predict that bids will easily go into the mid $30K's, or even higher. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-s-6/

Close, but not quite.  This Mk. I Mini Cooper S was bid to $30,500 and promptly went Reserve Not Met.   

Was the Seller dreaming of really big bucks for this car?   He'll have to keep dreaming because as details were pointed out during the auction, this car deviates enough from original to not command a crazy kind of money.   

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I think because a few went for such silly money that now everyone is thinking theirs should go for high amounts as well?

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on December 13, 2018, 02:30:18 PM

My wild-ass guess is this one, being a small-wheel Mk. I English Moke with its original 850, will appeal to someone looking for a Moke that is kinda somewhat close to original, and will be bid up to the late teens. 

It was right there, with a lot of last minute bidding, it just got to $20,000.    And it went Reserve Not Met.   

Seems like lately Minis are being presented on BaT, but they are not being sold there.   Hmmm...  perhaps BaT should re-think the reserves they allow to be set.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Maybe the bloom is off the rose?

Stupid money has all been spent?

People need to rethink stupid reserves and unrealistic expectations?

I dunno.......

The Red S was reserved at $36,500.

The seller thought it was underpriced and more than worth that amount.

I just noticed the Moke has the same wheels as our Innocenti.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Pretty little 850 wagon on BaT now.....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-austin-mini-countryman-woody-2/

One of the Mini groups on Facebook posits that Mini values will be going up this year because of the 60th anniversary...

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

And now a nice 1275 Mk1 out of Armadillo Texas......bid already up to $10K on the first day!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-s-7/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

velopackrat

Boom, up to $15K.  The anoraks are about to go nuts due to all the unanswered questions from the pics.  Never mind they have zero intention on bidding.  It's their JOB to find fault, even though the seller hasn't made any outlandish claims.  What's our over/under on it being a legit S, aside from the mods?