Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on March 09, 2018, 06:58:52 PM
Quote from: Jimini II on March 09, 2018, 06:16:55 PM
Apart from the stuff mentioned the seat covers and home made dash was awful in the blue car, the yellow one was a lot straighter imo.
Now up for sale at no reserve is a nice M tech built 1293 s/c Estate which was formally a Clubman and is now a round nose. It should do well.

Yeah, that wagon is a nice car.  I've seen it several times in person over the years. 

The current owner has not had it long, but he is very much on top of responding to the questions and comments about the car on BaT.    An attentive seller like him can really make a positive difference during an auction.  I think this may go for big bucks  - like over $20K if things go well. 

The only real negative is the mickey mouse situation with the VIN.   That never should have happened when it was imported - there should have been plenty of proper paperwork available (the V5 and other documents) to support and correct any mistake to use the correct VIN when first registered.  Making up a bogus VIN plate to justify a clerical error is just a bad move.   Two wrongs...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-mini-countryman-estate-woody/

Correct me if I an wrong, isn't that another one of Skips old cars?

If so, run away as fast as you can.

There will be all kinds of hobbled together shit hidden under the pretty shiny exterior.

Wonder why the guy selling only had it 6 months or so?

Because Skip owned it before him. He is smart to unload it.   Like an idiot, I keep trying to save mine.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I know it has an oil leak that Skip glued foam to in order to stop the leak.

MPlayle

Yes, it is indeed formerly Skip's car.  Skip commissioned the original M-Tech build of the car.  It "used" to be one of Skip's more pampered cars, but it seems it also got some hobbled together maintenance and neglect along the way.

I would tend to agree with Jim's assessment based on some additional things I have heard offline from another source.

MiniDave

Really? Cause it looks like it's going to bring big bux in the auction if no one discloses the issues. They were pretty glib about the sponge to soak up the oil leak.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I also know the current owner tried to unload it pretty quickly after purchase for what he paid. 

BruceK

I only met Skip in passing a couple times at car shows over the years.  Sounds like others know more about him (and his cars) and there are some stories.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on March 11, 2018, 03:06:09 PM
I also know the current owner tried to unload it pretty quickly after purchase for what he paid.

Do you know what he paid?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I was told 18-19k in December.  I don't know Skip or ever met him, but I get the impression his vehicle upkeep was pretty shoddy.  Think about my clubman rusty and the things we know about.  I think that is kind of Skips way as well.  And I like the owner of my clubman, but jeez louis.

MPlayle

What I have heard as potentially being issues on Skip's former wagon are second hand information, so I do not want to spread unsubstantiated information.

I have a small amount of personal experience with regard to Jim's Pickup as I was the "middleman" between Skip's ownership and Jim's.  I had some first-hand experience with how that Pickup arrived to me and then the additional Jim has reported as he got even further into it than I had a chance for.

Jims5543

Without out right posting a caveat emptor on BAT, I am going to ask some questions.

I just posted and asked why he is selling after 7 months, I also asked him to post a cold start video. Lets hear what the engine sounds like.

I feel bad for that Brian cat, is he a member here?  He is about to get hosed.

Nice looking little truck, I would budget in a new Supercharger, engine and than budget in another couple of grand for lots of neglect and that is if you plan on doing the work yourself.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Why a new supercharger? These are supposed to be dead reliable and there's not much you can do to hurt them......

He did post a driving video and it sounded like it ran out well.

I think he said he was selling because they bought it to haul behind a motorhome, but decided to buy a home someplace cooler than Texas in the summer instead, so they're selling the motorhome too.

Is Brian the current owner? I think the car will bring good money, if it's as bad as you guys think tho......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

I know that particular style of supercharger is NLA (No Longer Available).  "IF" something happens to it, replacing it is no longer possible - thus significant costs involved with reworking the engine back to normal compression or a different supercharger arrangement.

The "rumors" I have been sent about it are just that - "rumors".  The only confirmed one is the oil leak at the timing cover being "cured" by the piece of foam/sponge.

The VIN issue(s) land squarely on Skip as he is the one that imported it directly into Texas as the first US owner.  Why Skip never corrected the title is anyone's guess.

Jimini II

I saw this car or it's double at a Mini event in Florida a few years back and it was smoking through the gears and on start up which will not be a cheap fix if it is the same car.
The vin issue pointed out that it has green paint on the new vin plate which either means it has had some body work/ paint done since or it came from another car. It is not even close to a Mini vin number more of a kit car vin number.
I really think the story of the importation mix up is bogus i have imported plenty of Mini's some with vin errors and it just does not happen you get it corrected. Now i guess it could be an assigned vin from Texas but they would affix their own vin not order a new Morris Vin plate.
I am guessing for whatever reason either this owner or a previous owner with a green Mini or Mini based kit car used that vin on this car.
Now there is a nice Unipower sitting in the garage in the background and it is green Hmmmmm!
Just my 02c.
All that being said it is a nice build.

94touring

I've heard rumors of the supercharger and burning oil too.

I once imported a mini and someone transposed a number.  I went to the local customs, explained the error, they fixed the paperwork, and the tag agency issued a title that matched the vin.

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on March 12, 2018, 06:28:16 AM
Why a new supercharger? These are supposed to be dead reliable and there's not much you can do to hurt them......

He did post a driving video and it sounded like it ran out well.

I think he said he was selling because they bought it to haul behind a motorhome, but decided to buy a home someplace cooler than Texas in the summer instead, so they're selling the motorhome too.

Is Brian the current owner? I think the car will bring good money, if it's as bad as you guys think tho......

Brian is the one who is bidding on this car in BAT.

Apparently as we see by this BAT Auction the car was riddled with problems hence all the front end work and basic maintenance.

Issues easily be hidden in a BAT Auction, if you are selling a Skip car the best way to do it is sight unseen.

I did not go through all the comments as I am really busy, I just heard this car was being auctioned and I pity the fool that buys it.

Edit - Also, the restoration was done in 2001, that means it has been 17+ years since any real work was done to this car.

Mine was restored in 2004 and I am pretty sure that was the last time anyone competent touched it.

I pity the fool.

EDIT - I am too busy for this drama.

I am living proof of what a SKip car is like to own. when someone buys and wants to sell in 4-7 short months that is a bad sign.

As I said before caveat emptor.

Good luck to whomever gets this gem.

back to work

BruceK

The black Mini Park Lane was not sold at $9500.   Unreasonable for reserve to be higher?  Maybe not.   I thought it might go for maybe $11K. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

I think more people are wanting/expecting top dollar for plain Minis just because a limited few have gone for outrageous money.

Jimini II

A few things with the Park Lane Mini threw a wrench in the works.
It had an aftermarket (looking) glass pop up sunroof which needed a new seal.
Lots of large areas of glue stains on the headliner.
Two Carriage bolts through the lower portion of both doors.
Mileage was low but some old MOT's incorrectly show it as 200k km's.
A half sill repair panel installed on one side.
It needed tidying up under the bonnet.
Only a 998cc.

All the above things if addressed apart from the low mileage 998 would have resulted in a better price at the auctions end imo.

MPlayle

Duncan_same_old,

Some years back, the Opcon superchargers and manifolds for kits on Minis went out of production.  The suppliers of the upgrade kits for Minis could no longer get them.  Apparently they are back in production now with an updated manifold.

As for Jims5534's experiences regarding Skip, Jim owns a Mini Pickup that was formerly Skip's (it passed through my hands very briefly between the two).  It was not maintained as well as it should have been and Jim has been suffering the pains of getting it back up to proper running condition.  The sort of neglect the Pickup experienced was out of character for Skip's reputation.  I have no explanation for why other than possibly too many "toys" and the Pickup saw the least use/care.

94touring

Quote from: Duncan_same_old on March 14, 2018, 10:26:37 AM
@94touring -- I didn't "try to unload it."  A person who saw the green woody at TX All British Car Days contacted me and wanted to come look at it.  I had only had it a couple of months.  He went ahead and asked how much to pry it out of my hands, so I pulled a number out of the air. 

Maybe you were trying to make a quick buck, maybe it needs work, maybe you don't like the car, maybe you have other priorities.  Either way that's flipping a car and  suspect. Having seen Skips handy work that puts this wagon on the suspect list.  Especially when out of the blue I of all people receive emails about this car and a laundry list of concerns.   I don't think any of us are on BAT muddying up your sale.  All arm chair quarterbacks from afar. 

Duncan_same_old

@94touring -- resist the dark side!   ;D

94touring

Of course. My only advice is disclose anything you are aware of and go on about life.  For all involved I hope it turns out to be a solid ride. 

Jimini II

@Duncan_same_old. I couldn't swear it was your car smoking and said it could have been another one that looked the same as yours or it could have been repaired before you purchased it, if you say it doesn't smoke i have no reason not to believe you.
The vin plate issue is what it is. I am guessing the po never got back to you and explained how there was a different green paint on the new vin plate ? I personally do not have issues with re vinned Mini's as long as they are not stolen of course but made up numbers to me are a different ball game. Judging by the bidding it is not an issue to others or yourself.
I do like the car and if i did not have 4 other Mini's right now and the vin issue was a little clearer and or documented i would possibly be bidding on it.
That being said i think you have been one of the most forthcoming owners selling a car on BaT you have answered most questions promptly and to the best of your knowledge.
GLWTA it should do well and now i know what to do with my Clubman Estate LOL.

Jimini II

Wow the auction on the Clubman/round nose woody Estate closed at $27,200+.