Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Well, all of a sudden now the car goes up on BaT for auction on Monday.....I have no idea what the heck is going on....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Is he pulling the MM ad? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I dunno, but I don't think that's a factor....I've seen other auctions where the car was mentioned as being advertised locally..I'll see Don this am and see what he knows. Weird.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Huge difference between the two.

I wish him good luck.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Another Mini on BaT, this time one that will be near and dear to gr8cornholio as it's an Aussie built (supposed) Cooper S.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-morris-mini-cooper-3/

They recently were advertising for copy writers, but I have to wonder if they hired a 12 year old who knows nothing about cars, based on a few of the things I've read in the posts lately, like this.

An oil leak has recently been remedied by replacement of the oil pan gasket.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Local Mini Clubman on Craigslist......at $15K I'd have to look seriously at Kel's Vtec......

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/6153492291.html

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Pretty sweet, If I hadn't have already bought mine, I'd been all over this.  Would look really cool next to Bruce's car too. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on May 29, 2017, 07:59:13 PM
Local Mini Clubman on Craigslist......at $15K I'd have to look seriously at Kel's Vtec......

That's a good-looking Clubman (but I might be biased on the color choices   ;D  ).

I don't necessarily  think $15K is unreasonable if it's a solid car.    Isn't your friend hoping from something in the low to mid 20s for his Mini?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on May 24, 2017, 12:31:13 PM
New old Mini on BAT.   Looks to be a mostly intact Austin Mini 850 Deluxe Mk. I (although BAT lists it as a Super Deluxe). 

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-austin-austin-mini-850-mk1-super-deluxe/

My WAG is it will go for somewhere around $11K.    Could be more if somebody in the UK wants to buy it.

Lots of last-minute bidding and it sold for $15,500.   No word yet where it will live now.    Pretty good price for that car I think.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Listed on Craigslist near me, a Mini Van for $7650.  Some assembly required.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/6142761291.html

"Classic MINI panel Van - A rare opportunity to own one of the classic MINI variants that is practically unknown and non existant in the US. The panel van was used by utilities and service companies to carry items for service in the UK and this vehicle was popular and used for service there. The van has original dark blue paint on part of the body and primer in the areas where the metal work has been done. It is clean now and needs NO rust repair at all. It is a very clean body and needs very little work to make it ready for paint. This van was imported from England several years ago and has undergone a major restoration, which is partially complete. The hard part of the restoration has already been done and now the van is ready for the rest of the work to be completed. The van has a 1275 engine (biggest MINI engine) and runs and can be driven. The metal work on the body has been completed at a professional shop and is ready for final body and paint work. Almost all of the parts needed to complete are included, only a few parts need to be purchased.

WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE

1275 engine has had the cylinder head updated with new valve seals and gaskets
4 speed manual Transmission is the latest rod change type, the most reliable and newest version
engine bay has been cleaned and prepared
Metal Work is all done and body is ready for final body and paint work - NO RUST REPAIR NEEDED!!!!!

What still needs to be done

Body and paint work
Trim, bumpers, all installed
Seat Covers and interior work done
Windows and tracks
Door gaskets, etc.

Any other work depends on your specification. These vans were fairly simple and had few frills, but depending on customer desires, the sky is the limit on restoration.

We have an extensive classic car collection and are selling this van because we simply have too many projects and can't get all of them finished. The van is in exceptional condition for the age and was hand picked by a careful buyer in the UK after looking at many others, this one was in the best condtion available. It has been stored in my dry warehouse in Texas for almost 10 years. You will not find one in better original condition anywhere at this point. We have been restoring our own vehicle collection for many years and can finish this van for you with paint and interior and trim, etc. if you would like. The price we are offering the van for is as it is now, but we can finish it for you at additional cost. A rare chance to own a fine example icon of one of the most interesting automobiles in history. Offered at $7,650 finished price about $15,000 and up, depending on specification."
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

I went back to that surf blue Mini 850 on BAT to see if the buyer indicated where the car was going to live now.  No word.   

But shocked to see that MiniGuy put up another self-advertisement thinly disguised as a comment.  Actually, not shocked.   He bid up to $7,350 on a car that sold for $15,500.  Pattern continues.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on May 30, 2017, 02:43:10 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on May 29, 2017, 07:59:13 PM

That's a good-looking Clubman (but I might be biased on the color choices   ;D  ).

I don't necessarily  think $15K is unreasonable if it's a solid car.    Isn't your friend hoping from something in the low to mid 20s for his Mini?

Kel's Mini is up to $17K with 2 days left to go, I don't know what his reserve is but he was hoping for $24K but I think anything much over $20K would buy it.....there is an unsold 75 Mini on Ebay with a Buy it Now of $28,500.....ridiculous.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Mini-Classic-Mini-/332248142402?hash=item4d5b885242:g:2PgAAOSwlMFZMOA7&vxp=mtr

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

To top it off that ebay one's ad is not accurate.  It states the engine to be a 1275 when in fact it is likely just a 998.  (See the head in the engine picture - 998 thermostat housing and the 998 oriented heater port over the #4 cylinder.)

MiniDave

Good catch....clearly not a big block engine.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

And nowhere near 1975 with rear 3-point retractable seat belts either. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Can't slide anything past us!   4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The Aussie Mini did not sell, they got into a pissing match about the vin and the lack of authenticity and the bidding just dried up.

So, now I wonder if it truly is an Aussie built Mini or just a standard Mini with Aussie doors, and uprated motor and so on - talk about a potential bitsa.

I think the car is "known", as one of the posters asked if the car used to be Burgundy and if the owner had it painted and the answers were affirmative. I think someone might have been trying to slide one by, but the Mini community is small enough that they sniffed it out. I also think this may have been one of MiniGuy's cars, some of the comments made lead me to that.....

It also sounds like a very made up story, about the owner being a collector and having "too many cars" and needing to sell a few of them. One of the posters said "People just don't like stories, even if they're believable. As soon as you have to start explaining, you're doomed."

Especially if the stories don't ring true.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

He bid on it twice, one even the first bid.  Of course since it wasn't under his username who knows.  Agree on the story part. If you have to start explaining away all kinds of stuff after the auction start you are fighting a loosing battle. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on June 05, 2017, 03:04:28 PM
He bid on it twice, one even the first bid.  Of course since it wasn't under his username who knows.  Agree on the story part. If you have to start explaining away all kinds of stuff after the auction start you are fighting a loosing battle.
Better to be upfront about everything rather than have things slowly come out, drip by drip.

Dave, over on eBay I see that Kel's VTEC Mini went RNM at $20K.  It looks like a very nice Mini, but I was thinking that's about top the price people would offer - even though it could cost much more to duplicate. 

I see that he is proud of not having a Minitec front subframe or conversion (bad blood there?), but then he is silent about what he is using.  Home built subframe?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yes, he built the subframe, but he's a really good fabricator...

He says he's got a contract on it after all....I expect he got in touch with the high bidder after the auction ended and made the deal.

I hear the last bid was just under his reserve.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 05, 2017, 02:36:05 PM
So, now I wonder if it truly is an Aussie built Mini or just a standard Mini with Aussie doors, and uprated motor and so on - talk about a potential bitsa.

I just looked at the photos on BAT and I think you might be correct.  The car does not seem to have the special unique-to-Oz stamping of the windshield scuttle panel.  Looks to be a regular panel as fitted to a British Mini.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

This one should set the bar for a properly built Mini, not original, but extremely well done. I expect it to be pretty expensive - mid 20's maybe?

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-austin-mini-cooper-s/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Looks like I undervalued a car again....it's at $24K on the second day of bidding.....

Comments include "see what happens when you don't have to tell stories" and "Interesting how properly modified Minis can go for more than non-modified cars"

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

And the conversation drifted all the way to explaining methods for the cir clip installation.