Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mascher

Do you think the new sills tacked on over the old sill will hurt the price?
Kelley

Quote from: BruceK on February 26, 2022, 12:45:10 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on February 26, 2022, 12:40:57 PM
I was just getting ready to post this - you beat me to it! Must be Mini week at BaT.....

It would be worth way more if it had the original engine and trans in it instead of a "Gold seal" and a rod change with QH u-joints.

Still, it IS a hydrolastic Cooper S.......

Yes, that stuff hurts it.  But so do all the other non-original touches like alloy wheels and definitely the oversills - which were only revealed after the original BaT posting.

BruceK

I do. When I last looked at the auction yesterday, the seller wrote a lengthy comment about all the corrosion repair on the bodyshell and seemed to conveniently skip over mentioning the oversills in that discussion. It's not really clear if there's still corrosion under the oversills that was just hidden when they were applied.   My guess is someone will bring it up again and indicate that use of oversills is generally regarded as a sloppy, botched repair.  If that happens, I think it will hurt the value of the car. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

Those 13s on the 90s Mini will be scraping the wings when they settle as they have not been cut to accommodate them.
The over sills on the Radford Mini have been installed before 1977 according to the old owner who has chimed in.
Back then these cars were throw away vehicles and a lot of over sills were sold, as they are wider than normal sills they reach farther into the floor so if you have rust there it takes care of that area too.
I am sure if fitted correctly apart from them not venting (easy fix) they work fine but the trouble is most were not and ended up being a cover up for one more years MOT and motoring.
If you reme.her there was a Moke that was restored in the Phillipines? and the welding and floor work was horrific bordering on dangerous, well the bidders kept on bidding and it sold for big money considering its condition.
I am guessing it will not hurt the bids that much because it is a Radford and they do not come up for sale that often.

MiniDave

Yet another Moke has surfaced on Mini week on BaT!

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-healey-mini-moke

And there's a video of the car being cleaned up in which they use detail brushes to clean the whole car, inside and out!

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

A repeat offender Mk I Mini is now on BaT.   It was auctioned back in November 2020 so the new owner has not owned it long. Last time it sold for $28,000 and there are already two bids in the teens for an auction which started less than an hour ago!

I guess we can find out if the market is changed for the same car in the last 15 months.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960-mini-mk-i-3/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I often wonder about the 'short term repeat offerings' on BaT like this.  Why is it back up for auction so soon?

MiniDave

He's convinced it will sell for more than he paid plus the 5%?   8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Five Minis on BaT right now that must be a record for Minis.
A friend of mine is going to submit his pick up, I don't think a pick up has ever been sold on BaT it should be interesting as they seem popular.

BruceK

Make that 6 Minis currently on BaT with this Mini Fire Engine!  Very cool!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-morris-mini-pickup/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

tmsmini

Does anyone know how Chuck Heleker is doing? the firefly was his at some point.
Looks like he has sold a number of Minis off.
He was a regular on the MM board and answered technical questions in some sort of official and unofficial capacity.
I had email contact with him about three years ago.
Terry

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on February 26, 2022, 03:08:02 AM
A JDM Mini with Sportspack arches and wheels added is now on BaT.  The looks of these Minis seems to attract more people, so I think they'll be a lot of action on this car.   Assuming no surprises, this one might break $20K is my guess.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-rover-mini-7/

Was bid to $15,600 and went RNM.   Some commenters think being RHD held it back.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Maybe that's just where the market is?

That seemed to be a really nice one.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Whee

Quote from: tmsmini on March 04, 2022, 06:45:51 PM
Does anyone know how Chuck Heleker is doing? the firefly was his at some point.
Looks like he has sold a number of Minis off.
He was a regular on the MM board and answered technical questions in some sort of official and unofficial capacity.
I had email contact with him about three years ago.
Terry

Chuck has indeed sold off quite a few of his collection. I think he's slowly reducing to his South African Estate, The W1000 and the Moke.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on February 26, 2022, 12:19:19 PM
Make way. Make way.  BIG BUX Mini coming through.

Not only is it a genuine Mk I Cooper S, but it's also a Radford conversion as well.  So a rare version of a desirable rare car. And it's already in California- but UK buyers will show interest too.  Unless something funny turns up, I can see this one going over $50K.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-mini-cooper-s-9/

This sold for the odd figure of $44,039.  And surprise! It's going back to England.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A not-exactly-concours Moke has popped up on BaT.  Been in the same family for the last 55 years.  And apparently not everyone liked it or it wouldn't be in such poor shape.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-moke-13/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Sad condition......but of course it can be made like new again with the appropriate application of significant amounts of cash!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 28, 2022, 07:14:55 PM
Yet another Moke has surfaced on Mini week on BaT!

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-healey-mini-moke

And there's a video of the car being cleaned up in which they use detail brushes to clean the whole car, inside and out!

This Moke sold for $21,000.  A good buy for an English Moke IMO.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Clancy thinks his might be worth 40-50K..... ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on March 07, 2022, 06:19:05 PM
Clancy thinks his might be worth 40-50K..... ::)

Hmmm. Not to be overly critical but I think that is perhaps a little optimistic based upon some details needing tidying and such.  But who knows?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yes, I think you can tell by the emoticon that I think he's just a bit optimistic too - but crazier things have happened.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on March 08, 2022, 08:46:34 AM
Yes, I think you can tell by the emoticon that I think he's just a bit optimistic too - but crazier things have happened.....

Yeah I was trying to be kind. Speaking frankly, I don't think it's worth half that.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Yet another Mk I Mini on BaT.  This one lived in Italy but he's not an Innocenti - it was an expat from Britain. 

Looks pretty nice IMO.  Not a fan of the modifications to fit the Italian license plate.   

It's still got the 850 engine, so it will appeal to collectors and not wannabe boy racers.  I think it May be bid into the mid- to high-teens.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-morris-minor-5/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

it's LHD and it has Inno style side repeaters? Did English cars even have side repeaters in this era?

Maybe one built in Senefe or something?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I don't think any of the British ones had side repeaters until the big update of the Mini in 1984 forming the Mk V version. Off the top of my head, that's when the 998 engine became the only engine offered (A+ version of course), 12 inch wheels became standard, as did 8.4" front disc brakes, black plastic wheel arches on all cars, and some other things including side repeaters.

My guess is this Mk I car has them fitted either because the Italian homemarket required them, or somebody liked the way they looked on Innocenti models and wanted this car to emulate them.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on March 01, 2022, 08:25:22 AM
A repeat offender Mk I Mini is now on BaT.   It was auctioned back in November 2020 so the new owner has not owned it long. Last time it sold for $28,000 and there are already two bids in the teens for an auction which started less than an hour ago!

I guess we can find out if the market is changed for the same car in the last 15 months.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960-mini-mk-i-3/

Wowzers.  Sold for $49,000 !!   What an incredible increase in such a short time

Pretty fantastic price for a non-Cooper S.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S