Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Quote from: Whee on January 31, 2022, 12:14:56 PM
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-leyland-mini-clubman-australian-make/

This was built by the same person who did my Aussie Cooper S. I think he did this one, and then my car.

They do things differently in Oz, don't they?

A deseamed Clubman with external door hinges - not something you see everyday.  And a different type of Japanese power.  I love the color.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

This Mk I Cooper S, with just a few period accessories, and set up to rally,  is sure to generate interest!  And a whole lot of money, too.  Could we see a new record on BaT for a Mini?  I guess we will see....   I suspect a lot of interest will be from the UK.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-mini-mini-cooper-s-fia-historic-racecar/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Already bid to $55K!   :-\

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on February 04, 2022, 12:18:58 PM
Already bid to $55K!   :-\

So... no cutesy bids of $1,965 and similar?  ;D   Speaking of which, is MiniGuy still mysteriously missing?

Yeah, a huge bid like that is a pretty quick way to separate the serious buyers from the tire kickers.  Bidder seems to be genuine.

Anyway, get the popcorn ready for the final day of the auction
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Quote from: BruceK on February 04, 2022, 02:20:17 PM
Speaking of which, is MiniGuy still mysteriously missing?

Yes, Michael Lewis (aka MiniGuy) is still MIA.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on January 29, 2022, 04:30:01 PM
An retro-Mk I JDM Mini is now on BaT.   Looks something like Michael's new Mini, but this one has a 998 and may have drum brakes.   To me, the paint seems lighter than Almond Green.

My guess is the Mk I charm will overpower the possible disappointment in a 998 instead of a 1275 and it will be bid into the mid-teens.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-rover-mini-5/

Pretty close sold for $16,900.

BruceK

I think that's a really good price for that car.  And it definitely benefited from the Mk I look and the traditional 1960s Mini color too. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on January 31, 2022, 02:20:12 PM
Quote from: Whee on January 31, 2022, 12:14:56 PM
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-leyland-mini-clubman-australian-make/

This was built by the same person who did my Aussie Cooper S. I think he did this one, and then my car.

They do things differently in Oz, don't they?

A deseamed Clubman with external door hinges - not something you see everyday.  And a different type of Japanese power.  I love the color.

Sold for $18,000.  Yes, it has some issues but that's a pretty fair purchase price I think.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on February 03, 2022, 07:42:39 PM
This Mk I Cooper S, with just a few period accessories, and set up to rally,  is sure to generate interest!  And a whole lot of money, too.  Could we see a new record on BaT for a Mini?  I guess we will see....   I suspect a lot of interest will be from the UK.

With less than a day to go there is a full-on "comment war" going on on with this auction about the originality of this car.  The bidding remains at $55,000 and based upon comments it may not go any higher.   

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on February 09, 2022, 06:25:50 PM
Quote from: BruceK on February 03, 2022, 07:42:39 PM

With less than a day to go there is a full-on "comment war" going on on with this auction about the originality of this car.  The bidding remains at $55,000 and based upon comments it may not go any higher.

Well, the not-authentic-but-FIA-approved rally Mini went absolutely no further than the early golden bid of $55,000 (a huge jump from the $35K bid before it) and... then it  promptly went Reserve Not Met.   

WTF?   Kind of illustrated how ugly the auction turned out.  Honestly, I can't believe that BaT let the reserve be set that high for that car. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

No I was surprised BaT let the reserve be set as high as it was.
As it was clearly a non original S shell and engine/gearbox I too was surprised at the bid price thinking it had to be a shill bid, that being said the previous high bidder at $35k was still interested and not concerned about originality.
Still a long way to go to beat the highest price paid for a Mini as the beach car i believe sold for a whopping $247k, that one will be hard to beat imo.

BruceK

A late model non-JDM, non-UK Mini has popped up on BaT.  This LHD is from Germany and only has 32K miles.  My guess is mid-teens for this car. But maybe more?   What do you think?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-mini-mk-vi-3/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

I think it will do high teens with the LHD helping it some for those RHD haters.
The car looks decent but sits low and has some aftermarket looking seat covers along with a but ugly steering wheel.
The seller purchased it this year and has only added 50km to it, as it has no plates on it I am guessing it may have not been registered to him, its strange for him to be selling it so quickly when he is not a dealer.

ADRay

can't say I'd feel confident as a buyer with the repeated use of the word "reportedly" in the written description. Good looking Mini though.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

BruceK

Agreed.  When I hear "reportedly"  I think Dr. Evil doing air quotes.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on February 12, 2022, 06:48:28 PM
A late model non-JDM, non-UK Mini has popped up on BaT.  This LHD is from Germany and only has 32K miles.  My guess is mid-teens for this car. But maybe more?   What do you think?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-mini-mk-vi-3/

Sold for $20,000.  Kinda surprised it went that high, but then again we appear to be in a period of rapidly appreciating Minis.  So I guess this may be how things are now.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A JDM Mini with Sportspack arches and wheels added is now on BaT.  The looks of these Minis seems to attract more people, so I think they'll be a lot of action on this car.   Assuming no surprises, this one might break $20K is my guess.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-rover-mini-7/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Lots of questions on this one....especially about the "stroker" motor......I looked thru all the rects and saw nothing that would make this a stroker motor.....it would need a special crank, rods and pistons..... all I saw were std engine rebuild parts.

All that aside, it's a great looking car and I agree - it should bring all the moneys......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

There is also a late model Moke listed.  It is not in the Mini category, but under "Convertibles".

I have some doubt about the claims of "custom made" with regard to the Moke's roll bar and bumpers.  They are totally identical to the late model Portuguese and Cagiva Mokes.

LarryLebel

On the JDM, does anybody care to comment on the handling with the huge wheels and tires?

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Make way. Make way.  BIG BUX Mini coming through.

Not only is it a genuine Mk I Cooper S, but it's also a Radford conversion as well.  So a rare version of a desirable rare car. And it's already in California- but UK buyers will show interest too.  Unless something funny turns up, I can see this one going over $50K.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-mini-cooper-s-9/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I was just getting ready to post this - you beat me to it! Must be Mini week at BaT.....

It would be worth way more if it had the original engine and trans in it instead of a "Gold seal" and a rod change with QH u-joints.

Still, it IS a hydrolastic Cooper S.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 26, 2022, 12:40:57 PM
I was just getting ready to post this - you beat me to it! Must be Mini week at BaT.....

It would be worth way more if it had the original engine and trans in it instead of a "Gold seal" and a rod change with QH u-joints.

Still, it IS a hydrolastic Cooper S.......

Yes, that stuff hurts it.  But so do all the other non-original touches like alloy wheels and definitely the oversills - which were only revealed after the original BaT posting.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: LarryLebel on February 26, 2022, 10:34:26 AM
On the JDM, does anybody care to comment on the handling with the huge wheels and tires?

I owned a 99 sportpack for a number of years with the stock 13s.  They're heavy, the tires are low profile, and as such handling isn't going to be as good as a 10 inch wheel and tire.