A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Have any of those guys expressed an interest in doing our April trip?

Did you try on Michael's Marcos for size?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 12, 2020, 10:16:55 AM
Have any of those guys expressed an interest in doing our April trip?

Did you try on Michael's Marcos for size?

A1.  I heard Michael discussing the run with some people, so he's doing the publicity.   ;D

A2.  No, I haven't thought about trying to see if I fit.  Michael said the driving position isn't comfortable for him. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

It was great to get together with the folks this morning.  I did try to work up some interest in having some of them join the April drives if possible (even if for just one drive).

That second picture reveals the height difference between the Mini Marcos and a regular Mini.  The Marcos is about 4" shorter in cabin height.

The driving position issue is not the car's fault.  I have poor shoulders - born loose jointed and self-abused when young through various activities (swimming, sword play, hard ball throwing, etc.) mean my shoulders do not endure extended positions for very long without aching a lot afterward.

MPlayle

Quote from: BruceK on December 17, 2019, 12:39:20 PM
I spotted this creation on the back of a trailer yesterday – it looks like something from a Top Gear  special set in the middle east.

The other day, I stumbled upon where this (the 6-wheeled LR Defender) ended up in San Antonio.  It is at a shop a couple of blocks from a friend's home where it is undergoing some restoration work.  The shop apparently imports a few LR Defenders from Europe and refreshes them for the US market.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

On the northeast corner of Austin Highway and Vandiver.

I did not get the name of the place.  What made me stop, was I had been behind a LR Defender just a bit earlier and noticed it had a tail light issue.  When I turned the corner there from leaving my friend's place (was dog sitting while he was out of town), I saw the one I had been behind and stopped to let them know about the tail light issue and the 6-wheeled one was there as well.

Jims5543

Still cranking, pulling an all nighter in anticipation of taking Friday and weekend off. This is my punishment. Good Whiskey, good techno/house mix..... I am in a zone, the proper amount of alcohol and being wired makes for the perfect production. I have my ADHD fuckin brain tapped in right now, I may quit at 0200 and sleep for 3 hours and 50 minutes until the alarm hits to go again. I have one more to do and it is 0100 so I might get done earlier than 0200. Woo..

Back to work..

PS - I hate my brain!! I hate I have to push myself to this point to be focused and productive. I am cranking out more work in these last 3 hours than I do all day at the office with distractions. I do not recover from them well.

PSS - I pack my laptop when I travel, I am sure I will be working while in a hotel, I never really take off. Especially in this economy, I am barely keeping up.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

I'm at a small Cars & Coffee this morning and this car showed up.

It's not a Mustang.

It's a very rare Ford T-5 made for the German market.  Back in the 1960s there was a truck sold in Germany called the "Mustang" so Ford was forced to come up with a different model name in order to sell to the Germans (and American service men stationed in Germany).  They chose "T-5" which was the Mustang's code designation during development.  Just about 3,000 T-5 models were sold from the mid-60s to the early-70s.   

So there are horse badges, but no mention of the word "Mustang" anywhere on the car.   Other differences include amber rear taillights, T-5 badges, a speedometer in kilometers per hour, and a Highland Green stripe instead of blue.  This particular car has been vintage raced.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

don't care what you call it, it's still a great looking car, isn't it? I don't know why that car resonates with me like it does.....maybe because we had one of the very early ones made - although ours was a 6 cyl, 3 speed stick.

Great info Bruce!

Anything else fun there?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Nothing else there really interesting to me. This was a rural C&C held in a little town, so other than a modern Subaru and a NSX, my Mini was the only other 'furren car.  The rest were hot rods, muscle cars and old trucks.   Oh, there was a Corvair ramp-side pickup which was pretty cool.

Yeah, that car really resonates with me too. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

I retract my last statement.  There were some interesting things there.  How about a Jeep panel wagon? Don't think I've ever seen one before.  And there was a combination low-rider/rat-rod '63 Chevy with a chandelier hanging from the roof. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Where was this rural Car-n-Coffee?  You should have let me know, I would have tried to be there.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on February 02, 2020, 12:46:52 PM
Where was this rural Car-n-Coffee?  You should have let me know, I would have tried to be there.

Sorry, I just learned last night that it was happening today.  It was in Wimberly, and it's scheduled for the first Sunday of each month.  There were about 25 cars there.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on February 02, 2020, 09:32:27 AM
Nothing else there really interesting to me. This was a rural C&C held in a little town, so other than a modern Subaru and a NSX, my Mini was the only other 'furren car.  The rest were hot rods, muscle cars and old trucks.   Oh, there was a Corvair ramp-side pickup which was pretty cool.

Yeah, that car really resonates with me too.
When I was in HS I had a 1968 Mustang bought from a friend for $600.  It had a 1984 302 swapped into it and it was a fun car. I was rear ended by a kid in the neighborhood in a snowstorm. The car was driveable but ruined.

I found a 1967 Mustang GT for sale, it had a worn out stock 289 in it on its last legs so I swapped my 302 engine and transmission into it and drove that car until I was about 6 months out of HS.

Great memories would never want to own another one, compared to more modern cars it did nothing well, its brakes were scary, it was not really that fast, and it handled like a tank.  I will keep my fond memories of the car right where they belong, in my mind.  ;D

Cool story and cool car I never knew existed, I copied the photos and I am passing on to my dad that has a 2007 Shelby GT-H that came out of Shelby's factory in Las Vegas.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

The trailer trash company that used to be next door to me in my office space moved down the building to the other end about 1 year ago.

I was so happy they were far away from us.  They all chain smoke and apparently have a lot of drama in their lives that require them to be on their cel phone cursing as someone on the other end all day long.

They moved to a 2nd floor space right above the office of the person who manages the building.  It took about 2 months for him to lose his temper over them, I ran into him and he asked if they were a PITA when they were next door to me. I told him we were happy they moved down the building.

He ended up throwing them out of the building about 4 months later.  Cigarette buts everywhere, and it always stunk of smoke out front.

I had put a Ring cam up over my office door to keep the eye on the place, mostly due to the people that worked in that office, they looked like tweekers to me and I wanted to make sure no one was breaking into my office.

About 2 months ago two twenty something y/o girls opened up a Yoga Studio. The purpose of the Ring cam has taken on a whole new meaning.

Sort of like a game cam, I now take a look from time to time to see what I caught on the cam. It is motion sensing, anytime someone walks by my office to go to the Yoga studio, they trip the sensor.

I caught a very fine specimen yesterday.

Not sure if this will work, here is the video.

https://ring.com/share/6789727203410425953

gr8kornholio

:-\     Sooo, how long until you take up yoga  ;D  I hear it's supposed to be very relaxing, helps with flexibility too. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Oh, I thought that was the Florida UPS uniform!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Cars and Coffee San Antonio started a new location today – Wally World!   Actually it was the massive parking lot for Six Flags.  There was a good showing of Minis.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Some more from C&C

The electric Porsche "turbo" is only $162K, or about the same cost as buying 4 to 5 Tesla Model 3s !
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Taycan is a whole lot better looking than the Model 3, at any price. Actually, the model 3 looks like pretty much any other sedan currently sold here, with the exception of the front end. While not as butt ugly as a Lexus, it sure is not attractive like the Model S.

Was the green one a  Nobel? Who made the cream colored 3 wheeler? Was it front drive?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The green machine is an Ultima and is Corvette powered.

The 3 wheeler is a Vanderhall. I believe it is FWD.  It's so much better looking than the Slingshot.  There were about 8 Slingshots there and not only do they look a like a bunch of mutant robot insects, but all of them were festooned with copious amounts of LED strip lighting making them the modern equivalent of a mobile jukebox.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

My new work truck, once again, thinking outside the box.

A 2013 Toyota Prius V with 58K on the odo.  It will get 44 MPG city vs. the 20 MPG we get with the Taco we use now.

Yuge!!

Folded down one back seat more room than the Taco pickup.
Still trying to figure out if we can keep the cargo cover, it may be handy.

The room between the seat folded down the the front seats... we may be able to put equipment there.

MiniDave

It might do quite a bit better than 44 mpg, my niece's does 55 in town...

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on February 09, 2020, 06:37:31 PM
It might do quite a bit better than 44 mpg, my niece's does 55 in town...

For the next two weeks we will be using it before the crew gets it. We are waiting for all the stuffs to arrive to preserve it somewhat. Then I need to figure out how to load the equipment.

I also need to get the windows tinted.

Just from my observations running around this weekend I think 50 MPG is a reality.

Jims5543

Some Sandhill Cranes and their chickies spotted while I was in the field today, I had to zoom in, no way in hell I was getting close, those birds stand 4-5' tall, I do not want to tangle with a protective momma.