A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

I would say maybe next year but I doubt this will ever be in the states again, in Europe it sells out stadiums. It is just damned cold out there in January.  I was kind of embarrassed by the poor turnout, I know our country has a better car culture than this. I was amazed the place was empty.

Slingshot is a sponsor, their name is everywhere, I have to be honest, they intrigued me, I see them around town, I noticed a LOT of them in the parking garage at the event. (Maybe strategically placed? They were always on the end of a row)  To be brutally honest, after watching these poor drivers try to make them move, not interested in ever driving one let alone purchasing one.

One driver commented they were very twitchy when pushed hard and Pascal showed us how much so. Being the youngest driver there I think it surprised the hell out of him.  Seb was knocked out while driving one.

They were also about 4 second a lap slower than the next slower car, which was a NASCAR cup style car detuned to 300 HP.

Gene, the track was cool, two sides, one short side one long side, they both had to go around both sides, after 1 lap you swapped over then raced to the finish.

Here is one of the races, actually the only race Seb won.

Here was the accident.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

That looks like a lot of fun to watch some great racing talent up close.  Thanks for sharing.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

MiniDave

The dark slices of toast in that sandwich are cast iron and the light are aluminum, right?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I'm not sure if that engine's really, really cool or simply weird.   
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

They are engineering marvels.  1.3 liters, slap on a turbo and you can make over 500HP from it.

It is a very expensive and rare piston engine that can do that.

Of course they blow like a $5 hooker in Amsterdam on a weekend.  Besides that, they are amazing engines. I miss mine.  If my life ever changes and I have this unicorn called spare time, I may finally build my 20B (3 rotor) Factory Five Cobra.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Jim there's a company making 4 rotors, but price starts at 25k and goes up to 40k.

My flywheel came in just in time. 

Jims5543

Nah 4 rotor is overkill for my application, I want a 20B mildly tuned to 550HP in a 1800 lb FF5.  The sacrilege alone will put a smile on my face.

Nice flywheel.  You are getting very close!  Any parts missing or on the way?

94touring

Pilot bearing for the e shaft end that looks questionable and plugs for the omp pump elimination I'm doing.

94touring

Oh and the 4 rotor was making 700hp at 10,000 rpms naturally aspirated. 

Jims5543

STAHP!!!!!!!

Stop tempting me!! My kids do not need college do they? Mortgage payments are over rated.

My office Monday morning.

Then it turned to this, not fun:

I have to update a survey on the  hotel on the Ft. Pierce Inlet this week, this is the beach nearby. I hope to snap some pics Thursday there.

94touring

94touring

MiniDave

why does it have that ring of holes around the annulus?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on January 25, 2017, 11:48:25 AM
why does it have that ring of holes around the annulus?

On the flywheel or somewhere else?

94touring

My definition of annulus is different, heyo!  Anti surge is the reason behind them I believe.

MiniDave

An annulus (the Latin word for "little ring" is anulus, with plural anuli) is a ring-shaped object, a region bounded by two concentric circles.

I'd think any jet engine guy would know that word, as it's also found around the front of the engines..... ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Random pic from my cell:

I went to an IKEA store a few weeks ago, and came across this item.

I thought it was a floor lamp, but it was NOT. 

:)
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

We call the front of jet engines the cowl.  Maybe I'll start throwing guys off and tell them to report back after inspecting our annulus.  Maybe I'll even start calling cowl heat "annulus heat"  lol.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I thought those used to be called "torch lights", now it seems to be NOT.

MiniDave

It's a Mini Jim, but not like we know it.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I bet that Mini corners like it is on rails.

(It's the rules; someone had to say it)
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S