Old Mini Adverts

Started by BruceK, September 11, 2017, 03:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 02, 2022, 07:21:27 AM
I don't remember the turn signals below the bumper, I thought they were in the grill?  8.gif

I've seen Canadian cars with them in both places. Must've changed over at some point.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on August 02, 2022, 08:47:31 AM
Quote from: MiniDave on August 02, 2022, 07:21:27 AM
I don't remember the turn signals below the bumper, I thought they were in the grill?  8.gif

I've seen Canadian cars with them in both places. Must've changed over at some point.

Here's an ad with them in the grille.  I'm guessing they probably tended to rust and drop off when they were below the bumper.  ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

And the much larger side marker/reflector on the front fender!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ve9aa

aHHH, the Canadian Fugly bumpers and lights.  I knew them well. (and hated them)
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

skmini

My '79 had the signal lights in the grill. They're quite a bit larger than the normal front signal lights. The front fenders have round pieces of sheet metal spot welded on top of the holes for the signal lights.

Quote from: ve9aa on August 02, 2022, 01:48:23 PM
aHHH, the Canadian Fugly bumpers and lights.  I knew them well. (and hated them)

Don't get me started.  The front bumper mounts to a pair of bars that are bolted to the front subframe mounts on the bottom and to the fender at the top.  As you can imagine, the front fenders have a bunch of extra bracing where the bar attaches. This bracing is, obviously, designed to catch dirt kicked up by the tires.

That's all relatively solid compared to the rear bumper, which was just bolted to the boot lid, which would get bent from the weight.

BruceK

Quote from: skmini on August 02, 2022, 03:25:15 PM

That's all relatively solid compared to the rear bumper, which was just bolted to the boot lid, which would get bent from the weight.

Plus, don't forget the added "protection" of the little bumperettes that sat under the taillights.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

skmini

Quote from: BruceK on August 02, 2022, 05:10:07 PM
Plus, don't forget the added "protection" of the little bumperettes that sat under the taillights.

And all the extra brackets spot welded inside the boot to support and reinforce those bumperettes.  They completely engulfed the rear subframe attachment reinforcements between the floor and the wheel well.  The bumperettes were the most heavily reinforced part of the whole setup.

BruceK

How about the not-too-different-looking-from-a-Mini-850 Mk 3 Cooper S?  By the time these were produced only the boot badge and holey wheels were the external clues it was an S.   Must be part of the reason there were so many fake Mk 3 Cooper S models created.

I don't think I've seen this factory color on a Mini before.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Tim

Beauty colour!  Aqua, just like mine.  You can see it in my profile pic.

Tim.

BruceK

Cool.  Nice to learn what that color is called.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

When I was a teenager I used to ride my bike over to the local Lotus dealer and I would drool over the John Player Special edition Europa models.  They look so cool painted black with the JPS gold pin striping and emblems to commemorate the F1 sponsorship of the Lotus Grand Prix team.

Who knew there was also a JPS edition Mini model!?   Also black with gold pinstriping and JPS emblems.  I'd love to have one of these.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Artistic license?  This estate sure looks longer than it is in real life.   But still, a nice illustration.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ve9aa

I find this thread very nostalgic.

Enjoying it !
Mike in NB

BruceK

Great. Glad you are liking it.

Here's a Mini ad from Australia back when the country's currency was still in £'s and hadn't switched to decimal $'s yet. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I'll have to take a pic of the innocenti advertisement I bought that's hanging in my spare room.

BruceK

Love to see it.

I'm the meantime, here is a Innocenti ad.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Tim

Funny you should show the John Player Special.  I just picked this one up the other day.  Now's your opportunity to own one 😂.

Tim

MiniDave

Well.......the remains of one anyway!   :-\
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Partial to the Australian one. Lol.  Looks like mine was an upgraded model then cause I don't se the chrome door trim on this one.  Of course I've left it off cause I actually like the look better without it.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

cstudep

ve9aa

Quote from: Tim on August 06, 2022, 05:51:36 AM
Funny you should show the John Player Special.  I just picked this one up the other day.  Now's your opportunity to own one 😂.

Tim

That'll polish right up Tim.  Bring it to Cars n' Coffee next weekend?
;-)
Mike in NB

BruceK

Quote from: cstudep on August 06, 2022, 01:33:57 PM
I have this framed up.

Wow. Never seen that ad before. Seems more modern than the early 1960s.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

cstudep

I have no idea what it is from, I assume it is from a magazine or something but it is page 117, so maybe a catalog of some sort. This is on the back side, page 118.

MPlayle

The add in the lower right corner of the back side for The Lobster restaurant indicates "now in its 41st year" and the restaurant opened in 1919 (found on this website via searching the restaurant name and address https://www.cardcow.com/105869/lobster-145-w-45th-new-york/).

That means the ad is likely from a publication in 1960.