Old Mini Adverts

Started by BruceK, September 11, 2017, 03:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

The Mascot.  Sold in Denmark. And other places?   

The Mini name is completely absent from this ad.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Almost forgot, I was going to post this.  Trying to get in closer in the pic to where you can read the text.

BruceK

Cool.  From what I can understand through Google, Koelliker was an Italian dealership chain who offered the Mini and gave customers a fire and theft policy too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ve9aa

Jon from Belgium (Minimania, but I think I've seen him here too!) has a very nice Mini Mascot.
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

BruceK

Back when adding alloy wheels to your car was a really big thing.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The introduction of the Mini estates in 1961.  Still calling the Austin version of the Mini the "Seven". 

At this time the estates came with the fuel tank mounted internally in the passenger compartment (!) before the switch later to the fuel tank mounted under the floor behind the rear subframe.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Heres a brochure of a Mini Moke that was never actually made - as far as I know.  My understanding is this handout was used to try to sell the Moke to different governments for their various militaries.   When that effort failed and no military wanted it, BMC decided to offer the Moke to the general public as a fun runabout. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

And here's the Moke as first released to the public.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Here's a prototype Moke - note that the side pod/pontoons were not finalized at this point.  But the Moke's front end styling was.  So that makes the "military version" styling even more curious...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Tim

The 'Military styling' one is very similar to a South African Moke.  Same shortened wheel base and the different front end.  They also ended up with a hinged side panel.  Still some around.  http://www.sedgeclasscars.co.za/car-details.php?CarID=2486

Tim

BruceK

Tim, Wow. In 50+ years of being a complete Mini fanatic and reading and absorbing everything I could find about Minis, I have never seen a South African Moke before. I didn't even know it existed.  Mind blown.  I mean, I know about English Mokes, and Australian Mokes, and Portuguese Mokes, and Chinese "Mokes", and American "Mokes" but I never knew about the South African one.  I'd love to know more about it.  Like why the shorter wheelbase and lower lights?  Lots of other little detail differences, including the folding windshield.

That one is for sale for 110,000 rand, so less than US$6,400.  Quite a nice price.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Tim

I'll look up more info for you, but from what I remember, there were at least 6 prototype, short wheel base Moke's, built in SA for testing.  These later found there way into public hands.  I'll read through a couple of resources and let you know.

Tim

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ve9aa

Keep'r comin' Bruce.  :-\

This is my favorite running thread on the entire interwebs. 4.gif

Does that make me nostalgic?  No idea.  17.gif
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

BruceK

Thanks Mike!

Here's an Innocenti.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Back when every Mini had only a central speedometer and no supplemental gauges this was an aftermarket way to get some more instrumentation.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

That dash is actually available today at this French website.

https://www.datch.fr/en/dashboards-c-45_4516_451613.html

Available in either LHD or RHD.

BruceK

Crazy that it's still available.  I saw the price of over €700 and I thought it was crazy until I realized that it includes all the gauges and speedometer.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, a speedo from MiniSpares is like half of that cost.

BTW Bruce, do you still have any of those old speedos? The one in Clancy's Moke is broken and I was hoping to fix him up on the cheap.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

Let me check my stuff as I may still have the old one from the white Moke.  I put an electronic one in the Moke.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I found one of my spare speedos and sent it to Dan a couple of weeks ago.  But looks like Michael has you covered for Clancy.

This ad looks like it's for one of the first aftermarket mufflers that exited through the center of the car.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I love these English addresses......"Lever st, Little Lever, near Bolton"

Mine might be "Hadley Pl, off Antioch, near Overland Park"  77.gif

My brother's actual address is "Three Elms, Little Cowarne, Herefordshire" That's it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The special edition Mini Cooper 35th anniversary model.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on September 08, 2022, 05:40:47 AM
I love these English addresses......"Lever st, Little Lever, near Bolton"

Mine might be "Hadley Pl, off Antioch, near Overland Park"  77.gif

My brother's actual address is "Three Elms, Little Cowarne, Herefordshire" That's it.

How about the phone number?  Farnworth 1935.    Much like the old phone numbers in the US with catchy (and memorable) exchange names. When I was a kid our family's home phone number was Twinbrook 2 8252.   Nowadays nobody has to remember any phone number.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S