New intro

Started by MPlayle, July 05, 2009, 08:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Just a quick post to introduce myself on this forum.  I've been a "long time" resident over on Mini Mania.  I got referred over to this forum from a thread there and so signed up here a few days ago.

Currently, I am between classic Minis.  I only have my daily driver new MINI (2002 MCS that I've owned for 6.5 years).  Being between jobs as well has put a hold on trying to get another classic (where my true interest is).

I am a Texas resident (in San Antonio) and active member of MOT (Mini Owners of Texas).

I'll be starting to "hang out" over here more frequently to have another source for keeping current on the Mini community.

By the way, has anyone else noticed how many issues there are with Mini Mania's site lately?  I have had growing problems with pages not completely loading, loading all jumbled, drawing a blank page or taking a very long time to even connect to their site. 

Cheers,
M. Playle

94touring

Welcome welcome!  You had the pickup you were having restored correct? 

I noticed MM having some issues too. 

MPlayle

That was a different "Michael" in San Antonio.  His last name is Joyner.  Some time back I tried to have a MOT get together and invited him to join and meet other local Mini folks.  I was not successful at getting him to turn out and meet folks that would be willing to help and/or offer support to his efforts.

I have had 5 different classic Minis over my years in the hobby, but not a pickup.  I started with an 850 Panel Van, went to a Saloon (SPI based), switched to a Clubman wagon (that I added the wood kit to - it is still knocking around northern Colorado), later got a Moke and then back to a Saloon.  Currently without a classic.

Cheers,
M. Playle

94touring

Ah yes, had you two confused for some reason.  Well good to see a new face here and I hope you get back into a mini soon. 

MPlayle

I hope to be able to get back into a classic Mini.  Right now I would be happy with just getting back into the world of the employed.

I've been out of work for 11 months now.  The "firmware engineering" field has been slow and has gotten even slower.  Anybody hiring is keeping the openings close at hand to avoid the flood of resumes and expenses of hiring recruiters.  A lot are also "restructuring" their organizations and canceling their openings.  I have had 8 possible jobs go just that way on me - get through the recruiter's screening as a strong match for the job, get submitted to the client employer, the client employer takes 2 weeks to consider the resumes and then "due to economics" cancels the position.

I am about to have to figure out a way to compete with the "masses" for the clerk positions at the local corner convenience store just to try to get some sort of income again - VERY depressing.  (Not the actual work, just that the situation has gotten that bad.)  Thanks for letting me vent.

94touring

OH man I can relate to that!  I've been unemployed for a few months now, and its going to be a year or more before any kind of airline job opens back up for me.  Untill then its buy, paint, and sell minis.  Although, Hayman on here will read this and mention that I was offered a job back in Tulsa last week when I was out there for a car delivery and pickup.  Can't get a job anywhere in the country to save my life, just moved across the country 2 months ago, and take a trip to OK and get offered a job.  Kinda made me sick.  When I moved from AZ to NC they weren't hiring, and now suddenly they are.  Its just bad timing.  I'll have to wait before doing another costly and agonizing move.  I just can't keep moving back and forth across the country.  Plus my old lady said no, lol.