drive flange question

Started by 94touring, February 24, 2016, 02:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Cobbling together disc for my car.  I have in the shop an old pair of 7.5 disc with no wear, aside from surface rust.  They have no flange.  I have an old 8.4 disc assembly which I'll use the swivel hubs from.  My question is will the drive flange from the 8.4's fit inside a 10" wheel?  I literally just left for 5 days so can't check till I get back.  Perhaps someone else knows.  I'm assuming the 8.4 flange will bolt to these 7.5's. 

MiniDave

No, they're different.

The 8.4 disc flange uses bolts in a recessed hole, the 7.5's use tapered head screws.....I just changed  Don's 8.4's (turned down to 7.5 over to actual 7.5's, we had to change the drive flanges too. He went with MiniSport's 4 pot all aluminum calipers to replace his Willwoods.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

These might be 8.4's turned down.  Hmm.  I'll post pics next week.

MiniDave

This is the 8.4 drive flange.....

This is the 7.5 flange.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm going to have to investigate these 7.5s I have.  They look like your standard 8.4s.  Wish I would have taken them apart before I left now.

John Gervais

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that many use 8.4" disks turned down to 7.9"(ish) and use MSC's 4-pot calipers to clear 10" wheels.  I'm sure an interweb search will reveal something, particularly on TMF.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

That's similar to the setup my friend had on his P'up, except he had Wilwood calipers. We changed it over to Minisport 7.5's with their 4 pot aluminum calipers with the earlier style stock 7.5 rotors as he had no idea of where to get  some new rotors turned down from the 8.4's...plus now he can get EBC pads instead of having to use Wilwoods.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

There is a 7.5 available that's been turned down.

MiniDave

Cool, I hadn't seen those, do they also offer the non-vented?

Edit: No, they don't - and that's what were on Don's P'up - non vented 8.4s machined down.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Those are the only ones I've found.  I suppose those would work with my 8.4 flanges but I'd like to put these disc to use if at all possible.

94touring

Pics of what I have.  Cleaned up the surface rust and seems pretty good.  Looks like they will work.  I have the old 8.4's beside them.

MiniDave

Those look like they are 8.4" rotors machined down to fit 10" wheels, do you have a pair of them?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

One pair.  Looks like I'll be using them.

John Gervais

What's with the scalloped hub section?  I'd be afraid that they'd crack or break apart, pity that I threw away a decent pair of std. 8.4" non-vented last summer. 

I recon they'd gone around 4 or 5 thousand kilometres, but I had a brake piston get stuck and wore a greenstuff pad down pretty low, so I decided to rebuild the calipers with stainless pistons, installed new greenstuff pads and new disks.  The old disks would have certainly cleaned up just fine, weren't discoloured or burned, but I didn't know anyone would have wanted them.
- Pave the Bay -

Willie_B

Just dug these from the parts pile. Going to try the molasses rust removal on them. Don't think they ever been used.