1275 A+ Engine Build

Started by MiniDave, January 31, 2016, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I can check and see how much longer.

MiniDave

I wasn't worried about the time, I just wanted to be sure you two got your specs agreed upon.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

94touring

My final order of parts on my end has arrived.  Stage 2 headers, maniflow inlet manifold, a variety of twin hs4 parts to rebuild the ones I have, and some long ram pipes.   I bought some sock filters for them but not reading good reviews after the fact, so will likely fab up something better with a k&n filter.

MiniDave

Pics or it didn't happen!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Hard to take pics from Toronto lol. 

MiniDave

The last major parts arrived today from England.....I loved the description on the invoice for customs "Parts for antique English car"!

Funny, I don't think of these cars as antique, but I guess at 50 + years old they actually are.....

Anyway, pics of a very pretty Keith Calver head, and I'll start working on this build over the next two weeks, should have it running and ready to ship easily before the end of the month. (glad I didn't say which month!  ;D)

Right now it's warmer outside than in my garage, but if I open the doors everything metal in the garage will instantly be wet due to the temp difference and humidity outside.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I have a very similar pair of items waiting for installation, just need to find time to pull the engine.
Need to sort out a cam. Keith had some suggestions. I may get one ground locally.
Terry

tmsmini

Are you going to use springs or spacers for the rockers?

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Great spacer set. MS has good quality parts.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif 77.gif

John Gervais

Quote from: MiniDave on January 10, 2017, 12:30:58 PM
Yes! ;D

Actually, going to use the AEG392 spacer kit.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Engine/Cylinder_heads/Valves_accessories/C-AEG392.aspx?100410&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/AEG392.aspx|Back to search

Awesome - lemme know how these work out, I thought about changing from springs to the spaces.  I've had one (C-AEG392) sitting in a box since June '06, along with 0.020" & 0.040" shims.  Had considered selling it a while back; I don't have space for so much stuff and since my original plan was to install them when I have my roller-tips re-bushed - they haven't needed it yet.  (Yes, I have spare bushes, valves, guides, collets, viton seals, gaskets and such for when someday finally comes around.)

I can't complain at all about KC's heads - been using one since May '02.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

This is his super sports head. On his website the head prior to this one is described as a stage 3 head.  This one being in between that and a full race head.  This engine should scream.  I'm just looking forward to something faster than my stock 998!

John Gervais

The reason I never installed the spacer kit when I last freshened up the head was because I'd heard a rumor that the spacers could lead to increased rocker shaft wear.  It was mentioned, on some website somewhere, that the spacer kit could reduce the amount of oil 'splashed' onto the rocker shaft.

I'd be really interested in hearing from folks using them, as well as how your new set works out.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

I read something about cross drilling the spacers for more oil flow.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

After thinking about it a bit, I don't think the extra oil splashage is an issue.....the shaft is drilled and supplies oil to the rockers from the inside so I don't see a problem.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I was hopeful for more pics  ;D

MiniDave

Working on other things today, sorry......

What pics would you like to see and I'll make sure to take them?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

With it assembled lol.  I guess the parts come in tomorrow sometime.

MiniDave

I'll be here to sign for them.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Dave, when you assemble the rocker spacers and shims, could you take a couple o'pics?   :-[
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Be happy to, should be doing that this weekend sometime - weather permitting - it's been cold as hell again.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, unfortunately this project has taken a backseat to getting cars ready for the upcoming Texas Spring Break trip.....I've worked on 4 local cars plus my own 3 in between school 2 days a week and my other job, plus keeping the redhead happy (who has been very understanding). The good news is that I think they're all about ready now, save some last minute fettling.

I don't think I'll be able to start on this till we get back, as I like to work straight thru on an engine build and not stop/start. I tried to steal one of Kent Prather's build sheets while at Clancy's raceshop but he saw where I'd hidden it and took it back...it's not that he harbors any real secrets, but it's a good checklist......they have a spreadsheet where they write down every spec and measurement of the engine as they build it. I like that style of organization to an engine build so I was going to copy it.......

I should have all the parts needed and once I get going unless I need to send it back to the machine shop for some reason like decking the block, it should be about a 2 week build process.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Time to bump this back to the top as I've started the build. This morning I installed the cam bearings - seems like such an easy task, but you have to line them up just right to get the oil holes to align with the drillings in the block. I had to remove two of them and restart them when the holes weren't perfect, I also had to make a tool to press them into place, all in all about 3 hours work, but they're in place now.

Next step is to drop the crank in and measure the clearances on the mains, once that's done I'll check the end float and if it takes something other than stock sized bearings to bring it into spec I'll be down while I wait for them.

The stainless steel colander my wife gave me works great for cleaning parts in the solvent tank!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

More progress, the cam is in, the crank is in and the four pistons are in.

So far the crank clearance checks right on spec, the end float is 4.5 thou, right in the sweet spot of 3-5 thou, and next I'll check the rod clearance.

Once all that's done it's a matter of assembly......so far it's all going together well. 77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad