Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Looks like someday finally came!   4.gif ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yes I have more hammers than I can throw any of my many wrenches at. 

MiniDave

Today I cleaned the connecting rods and pressed the pistons onto them......my $95 Craigslist Harbor Freight 20 ton press really works well for stuff like this!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

Yeah, too bad you can't see any of that when it's all together and running!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Another top tip for engine builders.....when the mfr makes parts they stamp the part number in. In the case of shell bearings  like rods, mains and cam bearings this stamping raises the metal up - you can feel it with your finger, consequently the bearing doesn't make full perfect contact with the shell or cap. If you want to do it right, take a fine file and smooth off the protruding part, then the bearing will fit properly. In the pic below you can still clearly read the numbers even after I've filed them down.

High end bearing mfrs laser etch the part number on as it doesn't raise the metal.

Also, most guys lay a nice thin layer of oil in the bearing shell before popping the bearing in - DO NOT DO THIS!  In doing so you've just put a nice layer of microscopic ball bearings between the bearing and it's shell - these not only can allow the bearing to move, but also act as an insulator between the bearing and shell. You want both the shell and bearing clean and dry, then simple press the bearing in and align it correctly before pushing home completely.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Another Top Tip: Always double check everything!

Today I was assembling the big end bearings into the rods and getting ready to plasti-gauge the clearance when I noticed they didn't seem to fit the crank right. I checked the part number on the box and it said the right number and description, but when I plugged the part number on the bearing shell itself into Google, it said they were standard sized instead of 10 under!

So right box, wrong part!

If you don't take these extra steps and just go ahead and assemble the engine, it would have had low oil pressure (if any) and knocked like crazy!

Also, when you read the description on the Swiftunes site, it says std Cooper S bearing - Cooper S had larger rod bearing journals than the regular Cooper - so these are wrong in two directions!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Carrying on, I decided to work on the cylinder head, I cleaned it up yet again and then broke out the valve machine to grind the valves and seats. They cleaned up well and took very little to get a good clean seat. Tomorrow I'll go ahead and install the valves and springs and get a coat of primer on the head to keep it from rusting up again, then wrap it up in a plastic bag till we're ready to use it.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

It should perform just fine too, these late model heads are great when used with the right cam and induction.....the last time I used one of these valve machines was in the late 60's.... :-X

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Today I re-assembled the A+ cylinder head, at this time the customer is planning to use a stage 3 head from MiniSpares or Keith Calver, but this one is at least ready to go, perhaps on another engine.

I learned something important doing this and the Sprite gearcase, using the bead blaster gives wonderful results, but makes for a huge amount of extra work and headaches, trying to get those last bits of glass detritus out of the passages, threads, holes and every nook and cranny where they've embedded themselves. I wound up running a tap into every threaded hole and a die down every stud to get the remaining crap out, then washed and blew the heck out of everything multiple times, ran wire brushes thru every head bolt hole and push rod hole.

Next time I'll just pay the money and have them hot tanked!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Pretty much sold on the KC head and 1.4 rockers...as soon as I'm not broke again. 

MiniDave

Alrightythen, more pieces to the puzzle have arrived.......all we need now are some rod bearings and I can build the bottom end.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

.10 under rod bearings arrived today and as I was excited to see them at last I went straight down to the shop and tried one around the rod journal on the crank........they don't fit! Since this is the second set we ordered I decided to see what the heck was going on. The machinist told me he left the mains standard and took the rods down 10 under, so I got out my micrometer........

.20 under.......S.O.A.B!

So I'll order a set from 7Ent or whoever has them on my nickel this time.....we'll use the others at some point I'm sure but it's frustrating for Dan as I've been telling him they sent the wrong stuff and he's reordered based on my info. They are wrong, but it wasn't his or Spares or Sports fault.......

Edit: ordered 20 under Vandervell VP2 bearings from 7 Ent, they'll be here next Friday.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

If you've texted I'm in Canada all weekend.  Well, that sucks! 

MiniDave

No texts in Canada? What a country!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Intranets and fb messenger text and messenger phone calls.  I've been on the phone all morning putting together a lawsuit against the condo board and establishing a political group to overthrow the "establishment". 

MiniDave

Allrighty then....bearings came in today from 7Ent and they appear to be the correct ones this time.....I won't know for sure till I mount them in the rods and plastigauge the clearance, but they look right at least.

That reminds me, I need to buy some plastigauge, I wonder if the auto parts stores carry it anymore?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

they do here but you have to have the part number the counter guys don't know what it is anymore.  SPG1 for the green .001-.003

MiniDave

I hit a NAPA store on the way home the other day, I went up to the counter and asked if they had Plastigauge, the young lady behind the counter surprised me when she replied - what size? I said 1-3 thou and she went in back and brought it out in a minute. I gave her kudos for knowing what it was and she said she didn't, but the guy in back did!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on August 13, 2016, 11:36:11 AM
Intranets and fb messenger text and messenger phone calls.  I've been on the phone all morning putting together a lawsuit against the condo board and establishing a political group to overthrow the "establishment".

so, what happened?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Lawsuit pending.  Association lawyer dragging his feet.  Last board meeting people were really pissed.  Several people simply aren't going to pay the increase.

MiniDave

Woohooo! New parts on the way.....

I'll get this customer's car done by next week then I'll set the table back up on the lift and start getting the bottom end put together. I'm excited to get the engine in the test run stand and make some noise and exhaust!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm excited too!  Still awaiting Keith Calvers response on the head work. 

MiniDave

Did you and KC get things sorted?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad