cold cranking amp problem?

Started by 94touring, December 23, 2015, 09:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I'm having some issues on the blue 74 mini in the starting department.  The battery is probably 9 months old at this point.  When my starter was acting sluggish I assumed old cruddy starter since the battery is new.  What's happening is first start of the day, cold outside, it's barely to not cranking.  Thought perhaps my alternator wasn't charging the battery but upon hooking up the battery charger, it's full of juice.  Next curve ball is after I hook the charger up for literally a minute, it fires right up and will drive and restart all day long...till the next cold morning.  The battery was a cheaper battery and I will confirm but certain cold cranking amps is 540. 

MiniDave

Still could be an old cruddy starter, or a bushing that's worn out causing the armature to drag.....

Or it could be a dead cell in the battery I would take the battery to a real battery store and have them do a load test on it, then you'll know.

Check your ground connections, make sure they're good, clean and tight. Especially the engine to chassis strap connection.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Cleaned up all the grounds and connections.  Took the starter out and it's in good shape.  Went ahead and lubed and cleaned it up while it was out.  The bushes look like there's plenty of life left but I did fab up a shim to give them a little extra height if that was the problem.  Will have to wait a day to see if it starts or not after it sits.  Then I'll take the battery in. 

94touring

Still acting up.  Fired up first thing this morning, then awhile later barely enough juice to turn it over.  Time to test the battery.