big bolt order

Started by 94touring, December 10, 2015, 06:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Since I have all these bins in the shop to organize my hardware I decided to order specific mini related hardware.  I have 1000 various sized bolts, washers, lock washers, and nuts on the way.  I've never been so excited about bolts before  4.gif

MiniDave

Don't have any clutch strap bolts coming by any chance?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

That's awesome. I almost bought an entire bolt kit all in really high end bolts for every bolt on the car. Never happened. I just opened an account with Fastenal and bought everything I needed through them. haha

jedduh01

Totally agree- When doing my moke i went Nut n bolt heavy- Mc Master Carr- Grade 5's for most stuff= and Zinc Coated so they look proper and last= Had plenty of extra hardwrae for future needs. Walk over to the bin and theres usually the right thing for the british stuff. if its ugly - Toss it.
Now - drop it-  Ehh  why look- go grab a new one = It spoils ya!

A few boxes of anything over 1.5 inches are also valuable- and last a LONG time in use because few get used.

My 1/4 and 5/16 ths stuff goes the quicketst  all under 1 inch.  Last order i Goofed and ordered Gold Cad Plated.. so they look strange. but a 100 pc box will go a while!

Mini Dave= order and install a rear main seal while you;ve got the flywheel  andclutch out - and needing to order needing flywheel bolts

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on December 10, 2015, 06:51:30 PM
Don't have any clutch strap bolts coming by any chance?

probably not ;)   I need to place another hardware order to add to the collection.  I can only justify so much money per month in this type of stuff. 

94touring

Quote from: jedduh01 on December 10, 2015, 07:31:01 PM
Totally agree- When doing my moke i went Nut n bolt heavy- Mc Master Carr- Grade 5's for most stuff= and Zinc Coated so they look proper and last= Had plenty of extra hardwrae for future needs. Walk over to the bin and theres usually the right thing for the british stuff. if its ugly - Toss it.
Now - drop it-  Ehh  why look- go grab a new one = It spoils ya!

A few boxes of anything over 1.5 inches are also valuable- and last a LONG time in use because few get used.

My 1/4 and 5/16 ths stuff goes the quicketst  all under 1 inch.  Last order i Goofed and ordered Gold Cad Plated.. so they look strange. but a 100 pc box will go a while!

Mini Dave= order and install a rear main seal while you;ve got the flywheel  andclutch out - and needing to order needing flywheel bolts

This order was all grade 5 zinc coated 1/4th and 5/16. 

MiniDave

Jedduh, normally I'd agree with you but this one was replaced not too many miles ago and is drier than a popcorn fart....Ima leave it alone.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on December 10, 2015, 06:01:35 PM
I've never been so excited about bolts before  4.gif

Nuts are another story, right?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Nicholasupton

I will have to snap a picture of the hardware when it come back from plating. But one the latest restoration I decided that I wanted all OE british bolts, and had everything re-plated with bright zinc, after cleaning and vibratory polish. I just want to beat all the $500k restoration that show up in the British Class during cars week in Monterey.

jedduh01

Quote from: Nicholasupton on December 11, 2015, 12:27:49 PM
I will have to snap a picture of the hardware when it come back from plating. But one the latest restoration I decided that I wanted all OE british bolts, and had everything re-plated with bright zinc, after cleaning and vibratory polish. I just want to beat all the $500k restoration that show up in the British Class during cars week in Monterey.

Please please give us a taste!  and a taste of the whole project!

94touring

Merlin

You should talk to Big Red Fastners in BA. They do our stock bins and they are the cheapest/best I can find.
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Quote from: No_Name_Here on December 23, 2015, 11:34:54 AM
You should talk to Big Red Fastners in BA. They do our stock bins and they are the cheapest/best I can find.

Will do. 

Ps:  I need this big ass compressor working  77.gif

Merlin

Yea you do.

Are you going to be around the latter part of the week? This "off Monday" crap isn't working for me. You going to be around Thursday? I think I can make that work with my shitty schedule.

94touring

This week I'm home for 1 whole day and I'll be finishing minidaves clubby.  That would be Wednesday.  Then I'm back on the 4th and 5th all day, then the 11th to the 15th...getting in the 11th and leaving the 15th.  Also you got a key to the joint! 

Merlin

Ill see if I can't be there on wednesday. I have a high profile customer I need to be close for in case there is a feces fan.

MiniDave

Should I plan to be there on the 5th then?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on December 28, 2015, 05:47:37 PM

Let me make sure its done to my liking first and I don't hit any unforeseen snags...paint wrinkle or something off the wall.  I'll want to spend half a day to color sand and buff my work as well.  The 5th should work in theory  77.gif

Jims5543

Quote from: No_Name_Here on December 28, 2015, 04:58:35 PM
Ill see if I can't be there on wednesday. I have a high profile customer I need to be close for in case there is a feces fan.

I learned a new term today, this post is pure gold.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on December 28, 2015, 06:01:49 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on December 28, 2015, 05:47:37 PM

Let me make sure its done to my liking first and I don't hit any unforeseen snags...paint wrinkle or something off the wall.  I'll want to spend half a day to color sand and buff my work as well.  The 5th should work in theory  77.gif

Well, I'm going to plan for that day with the other guy who has the trailer and tow vehicle, and if you say not to come it's not a problem, we'll do it when you're ready - but I have to work around their schedules too....

Again, it's not a problem if it doesn't happen till later.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

pbraun

Quote from: Nicholasupton on December 11, 2015, 12:27:49 PM

Yeah - I did that on our Healey restoration. Nothing like OEM! They now look great and are original. On the moke, tho, I used as much Stainless as I could.
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

I did that when I restored the Jag, but I replaced all the nuts with new stuff....most of them were fairly rusty and I wouldn't have trusted them.

Today I think it's cheaper tho to just buy new stuff......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I acquired a bin holder thingy from a friend and boy howdy do I like it. I spent about $100 buying new nuts and bolts from Bolt Depot and I really appreciate their service - stuff gets here in just a couple of days.

At first I bought mostly grade 5 silver zinc coated stuff, but the last 5 orders or so I've switch to the gold cad plated grade 8 stuff, as I started checking prices and the grade 8 stuff was less expensive! I know it's not original, but it sure looks cool.....

I decided it was cheaper to replace this stuff than spending hours cleaning old rusty and greasy fasteners in the solvent tank and on the wire wheel.....there are still the oddball stuff that I have to clean this way, but mostly I just use the new stuff now. I average a $50 order about twice a year - well worth it IMHO.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad