Rotis

Started by Spitz, November 08, 2015, 07:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitz

I forgot how to spell the whole word...lol
I finished this today.....just in time for winter, so no welding but maybe some grinding.  Shell is in pretty decent shape

A question about bumpers.  This one has five stud bumper...will a newer 3 stud fit or do I drill new holes?

MiniDave

I haven't seen a rotisserie done in wood before! Can't see any reason why it won't work just fine tho...

Are you asking if the studs on a three stud bumper will line up with the holes already in the car for a 5 stud bumper?

Is there something over the top of the pole where it sits on the uprights to keep it in place as your rotate the body?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

There was another guy on here that built a wood rotisserie.  Very cool.  As far as the bumper goes.  Some align and some do not.  But if you have to drill an extra hole it's no big deal. 

Mudhen

MPlayle

As Dan said, the three-stud bumper is "supposed" to line up with the appropriate holes for mounting a five-stud bumper.  However, as with most Minis and spares, ... may not quite align.

Spitz

Quote from: MiniDave on November 08, 2015, 07:49:54 PM

Is there something over the top of the pole where it sits on the uprights to keep it in place as your rotate the body?

Not yet ..... I was done for the day.  I think what I'll use is some metal strapping.
I'm also undecided if I'll let it rotate on the two pieces of larger pipe....or let it rotate on the inner long pipe...turning on the 4x4 uprights.  I placed a metal "bearing" of sorts on top of the uprights where the pipe sits to allow it to rotate easier

MiniDave

How will you lock or pin it in place to work on the sides or bottom?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

On mine, I pinned the pole to the mount and then added a few nuts to the body clamp outer tube so that they can be tightened down with a bolt in any position I see fit.

The same could be done here if needed.
Engineering the Impossible

Spitz

Quote from: MiniDave on November 09, 2015, 11:50:50 AM
How will you lock or pin it in place to work on the sides or bottom?

I don't know yet.
I did some head scrtching while cleaning up the work arear around it last night
One option is to have the entire pipe rotate.  I have an old brake disc I could weld to the pipe and drill some holes in it....I would have a hole in the upright and just use a rod or bolt through the disc into the upright

MiniDave

That sounds like it would work pretty well.......drill lots of holes so you have flexibility on the angle.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Spitz

Just need to lift the car off the upright to get the disc on the inside of the upright.  I'll need to get inventive with jacks as I'm solo

MiniDave

An engine hoist works well for this if you have one......how did you get it up there in the first place?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Spitz

With a friends help, who is now on holiday.
Nor sure my hoist will go that high.....no real low points to hook to I don't think...will have a look tonight

Spitz

Original post's picture replaced with better.  Will post when I figure out my locking mechanism

Merlin

Just drill a hole in the sleeve mounts and weld a nut onto it. Then put a bolt in and tighten it down on the pipe. Infinite position.
Engineering the Impossible

Spitz

I thought about that no_name but wasn't sure the pressure from a bolt would hold it in place at it's heaviest.  The balance is pretty good, so not a huge amount of weight....but I'd still be concerned about it letting go at the worst time

94touring

I have bolts in mine.  Holds it just fine. 

Spitz

Well I think that's what I'll be doing

My idea ended in near disaster.

After completeing my "locking" idea...I rotated the shell to the highest stress position.  I was going to have a go with the grinder at the rear....I heard something

This is what happened.....luckily I had the engine hoist nearby and took the weight off.

I've strapped it together...I'mm be putting a washered bolt through it also.

Now, to stop the inner pipe rotating I'll use lag bolts through the pipe into the wood at both ends...I'll then drill and weld nuts as suggested on each piece of outer pipe

94touring

MtyMous

That was a close one.

Spitz

Well....I've tried welding a nut and putting in a bolt and tighten to hold it.  It just wont tighten enough to safely hold it.....I even took out the bolt and ground it to a bit more of a point....no joy.

An option...If I still use the brake disc with holes in it, but put a long bolt through to rest against the upright...against the rotation....that may work.

I'm getting annoyed with it and left it for the night

94touring

If you search through my rebuild threads you'll probably stumble across how I do it.  Basically I have a pipe that fits over the end of the pipe running through the car, which is held in place with a bolt.  Then I use a winch which goes from the end down to one of the feet.  I crank it and it rotates.  Since you have wood, you could probably bolt some steel on the feet to hook into. 

Spitz

oh man...I need a picture of that

94touring

I have a gazillion pics but few of the rotisserie.  Here's what I did find though.  You can see the end I attach, the bar I run through it, and the winch attached to it.  Since yours sits on wood, you can weld a bar on the end really and winch from that down to the feet, or anything steady for that matter. 

94touring

Another thing you might want to do to beef up that pivot point is bolt some thick steel bars or angle iron on the top section of your post.  Might help it from splitting again.