Step by step a-panel repair?

Started by jemo, June 11, 2009, 06:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemo

Hello,
I've had my Mini for a little over a year but not touched it yet.  With a lot of practice on another car, I've become pretty good at welding sheetmetal but have zero familiarity with this car. 

The a-panels on this car are bubbling so I bought replacements.  Are there inner pieces too that also typically rust?  Can anyone give me an idea where to start?  Where are the spotwelds?  How does the seam mate with the panel?  Pics would be a great help.

Jeff

94touring

Is this an early make with external hinged doors or later make?  I had a pickup that had a double skinned a-panel that was external hinged.  Depending which style you have you'll break the welds along the seam to the front fender, then break welds at the top and bottom of the panel where it meets the door frame, and probably along the.....inner panel that the door hinges (for internal hinged doors) attaches to.  Trying to remember if it was welded on that inner panel or just seam sealed.  You can drill out as many welds as you can find and/or use an air chisel carefully.  I find it difficult to get it seperated from the fender without damaging it as well.  When re-fitting be sure to fit the door before welding the whole apanel in place.  You may find you have to adjust the apanel or trim/bend the leading edge for proper door clearance. 

94touring

This is on an external hinge door.  You can at least see what it looks like off.

jemo

Thanks for the fast reply!  It has the internal hinges.  This is very helpful.

Jeff

94touring

Cool glad to help.  Take lots of pics when you tackle it and keep us informed.

jemo

94Touring,

What is the name of the piece you see behind the a-panel in the wheel well area?  Mine isn't looking so good but I can't find it on any of the mini sites.

Jeff

Willie_B

batman1usa

Inner Fender??

Quote from: jemo on September 17, 2009, 08:11:22 PM
94Touring,

What is the name of the piece you see behind the a-panel in the wheel well area?  Mine isn't looking so good but I can't find it on any of the mini sites.

Jeff

94touring

jemo

hmmmm....a pretty important piece because if it's not in the exact spot, the doors won't line up and they don't have much adjustment room either.

I'll ask when I get to that point.  Let me finish fixing the doors.

Jeff

94touring

Just make sure you tack it so its sturdy enough to do a test fit, then make any corrections and finish the welds.