In the early stages of buying the official restoration-mini garage

Started by 94touring, October 11, 2015, 07:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniGene

I do have a lot of English beer pics, but I can't find the beer thread.  I searched but didn't see it, is it still there?

94touring

94touring

Willie_B

MiniDave

Yeah, I don't think you can have too much light in your shop......  4.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Vikram

Nice! How about some more on the legs of the gantry so they shine on the underside of the car?

John Gervais

Quote from: Vikram on September 28, 2016, 03:50:40 PM
Nice! How about some more on the legs of the gantry so they shine on the underside of the car?

What, and not hold a flashlight between the teeth?

(these kids today...)   71.gif
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

The only way an overhead light works is if you have the hood....erm, bonnet - sorry - off.....ask me how I know!  ;D

BTW, aren't you well past the "early stages" of buying your shop?  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Well past the early stages but I couldn't find if I had a separate gantry thread.  It was dark in that corner where I've begun working on finishing Vikram up. 

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I guess I should give the full update.  A couple months back my uncle and cousin were essentially evicted from a house they were living in, in somewhat of a lease to buy situation.  My uncle is a retired contractor and fixed the place up as they lived there.  As my cousin went to buy it the owner jacked the price way above what they agreed upon and things went south.  Jeff, my uncle is a widower, who's wife was sick for a solid 20 years, basically wiping him out financially after she died 3 years ago.  My cousin Blaine helps/supports him...till he lost his job about a month ago.  They were literally homeless and jobless all in the same week.  Fast forward and I put them up in the shop.  What was initially just supposed to be Jeff is now both of them.  This is a very small studio style apartment so living quarters are tight for 2 people.  What we're going to do is add another work bench in the one corner and add a loft bed up there for Blaine, with a little closet on one side opposite of the bench.  It will be on casters to move around as a work bench.  Plenty of storage space outside for other things they brought with them.  Bonus is Blaine is a bigger gear head than I am and Jeff is good building things.  They've really done a lot to the place since moving in this past month.  This week while I'm gone they intend to put together a roll up plastic paint booth in a section with ventilation and everything I'd need.  More shelves are going up to organize some paint supplies.  Combined we have too many tools and need to add some storage for them too.  It's definitely nice having helpers and extra sets of hands!

MPlayle

And kudos to you for stepping up and helping them out.  It may be "cozy" to start, but it sounds like they will make it work and turn the shop into a growing "family" business.

MiniDave

Good to see you getting some help! Hope it all works out for everyone......  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

That's really outstanding, Dan - and inspirational also.  As an unemployed guy, I know that if I had an opportunity to work my way into a business, or even just take my mind away from the pressure associated with being unemployed by doing something constructive (and therapeutic), t'would bolster my spirits and give some validation to my own opinions regarding my potential usefulness.

Well done!  Hope things get better for Jeff & Blaine.  Who knows, maybe Blaine will become a mini enthusiast and assist with the rebuilds.  Not too many have old-school skills any more, so it might even open some employment opportunities.   4.gif
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Thanks guys.  He's currently working on Vikram's carbs  4.gif

Jims5543

Reading what you are doing, you just confirm what I already know, you are good people.

You are on a precipice of starting something really big here, I think you know that. The fact that it could be birthed out of such a selfless act makes it that much more special.

I have the light box in the car trying to ship out today.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

94touring

Aside from the umpteen projects going on, finally put together a paint booth.  All 3 plastic walls zip and roll up to be out of the way during normal shop use.  Have some ventilation to finish off yet.

BruceK

That's a cool way to have a paint booth.   Looks plenty big for a Mini.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Did the first big spray in the booth.  I have 11k cfm's of filtered air pumping in and have another fan mounted in the rear window to help push air out.  I need to secure my corners because the pressure pulls the boards apart where the corners meet and you end up with some fumes in the main shop.  I ended up putting some towels in the corners to plug the gaps.  Fumes disappear in no time with all the air flow.  Lots of room to work inside this booth is a big plus too. 

MPlayle

How about putting a gate hook (example hook) on the boards in the corners to hold them together when using the booth?

94touring

94touring

stan360

Very nice.....it hides that Bracken orange splash pretty well also   :o