In the early stages of buying the official restoration-mini garage

Started by 94touring, October 11, 2015, 07:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Willie_B

Looks like it just high enough that you will need to watch when moving it about.

MiniDave

Did you put the swivels on one end or one side?

How do they roll?

Why did you choose this over an engine hoist?

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Brad the only thing it hits is the garage door motor but clears the lights no problem.

Dave, initially was going to just buy one of those however all this really set me back was the $80 dolly hoist.  Plus I have always found the legs on a cherry picker get in the way.  With the gantry it should be easier as well as more stable.  Not to mention way cooler. 

Oh and rolls great!  Swivels on one end..not sure if one side would be better.

MtyMous

The bracket on the upper I-beam looks like a koala. Can't be un-seen.

94touring

Found a good deal on a lever hoist.  The chain hoist has a lot of chain!  Plus I'm pretty sure this will work well on the rotisserie.  Also added a low profile 3 ton floor jack to my arsenal.  4.gif

Jims5543

Tell me when you are ready for my pickup it was "restored" in England in 2004 so it should be an easy project.

;D
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

94touring

The big compressor is finally up and running.   Thank you to Merlin/Justin. 

Merlin

Not a problem!

Now lets build a paint booth... Preferably faster than it took to do the damn compressor.

Next time buy a building with 3 phase power!
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Just as soon as we put a slab on the compressor side, seal it off, add tons of lighting, and add ventilation  77.gif

Merlin

MtyMous

What kind of low profile jack did you get? If it's the Harbor Freight or Northern Tool type, look into the spreader bar attachment.

94touring

Yeah hf Pittsburg job.  One of those spreader bars is on the list!

94touring

Finished off the piping for the compressor.  Changed the oil and cleaned off the inside face of the oil level indicator to be able to see what it reads.  The old oil looked like mustard!  Glad I decided to change it out.  I can't stress how pleased I am to have quiet air in the shop...seriously amazing, especially after years of non stop noise.  Not only that but you can run air continuously and doesn't phase it.

MiniDave

What did you do for a motor?

Do you have a dryer on the circuit? What kind?

Does your area get the summer humidity we do?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

7.5 horse single phase.

There's a water separator just prior to the 3 way splitter.  Just the standard one you buy from Lowe's. 

Gets fairly humid. 

My pressure regulator is kinda crap so probably will improve on that.

MiniDave

Most shops run a separate line for the paint gun, with an extra water trap and oil filter on it....don't you run a small pressure regulator and water trap right at the paint gun?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Pressure regulator at the gun yes, a 2nd water separator no.  Never had issues with moisture and don't need to make the gun bulkier than it already is.

Merlin

If it becomes an issue at all, let me know and we will add some knockouts for you.

94touring

Quote from: Merlin on February 23, 2016, 04:18:20 PM
If it becomes an issue at all, let me know and we will add some knockouts for you.

I had to put the compressor on blocks to get it high enough for the piping to clear the floor.  Luckily the jack did all the lifting. 

94touring

Well I tried a couple different pressure regulators.  Both leaked.  Before I ordered something high dollar online I bought a harbor freight special for 5 bucks.  Works perfectly.  Go figure.

94touring

Well after much agony I'm finally actually closing on the shop.  Turns out buying a garage is tricky business.