On the way to MMW2015

Started by Willie_B, June 23, 2015, 04:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I think the dist drive gear from the cam is off a tooth or two.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on July 16, 2015, 07:06:24 PM
I think the dist drive gear from the cam is off a tooth or two.....

Does that really matter as long as you have the timing set? It should not matter where the drive is positioned. Or am I all wrong on this?

jedduh01

So as a whole  Was it worth it? DO the MMWesties do it better than CMU?  MM E?  Thoughts on the whole trip

Bummer for the final days- Thanks to MINIDAVE for the rescue- Wagon Tow for the win!

Have you replaced the "basic Stuff:   Cap . Rotor and Wires?

Compresson for sure plus 100's ?

Re time - TDC / with Timing gear in the right direction - Rotor spins when cranking?  Valves go up and down?

CHeck fuel supply - Complete and enough?

sorry- just throwing the basics out there.

MiniDave

Yes, we did pretty much all that when it was at my house.

Here's my thinking - it has to do with the rotor......

If the rotor looked like tis, I think it would work....

You could rotate the dist till everything lined up an it would still be close enough for the spark to jump to the right terminal, but his rotor looks sorta like this.....

and with the drive off a tooth, by the time you get the rotor where the electronics will fire, it's too far away from the post.

That's my thinking, anyway.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So Willie B, anything new to report?

Did you send the 123 off to be repaired/checked out?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

The 123 seems ok now, but car still not running.Installed the original coil back in too. Have spark from it but I need to check another car to see if it is enough spark. Timing light says the timing is spot on for it at TDC. I have done lots of little stuff just to eliminate things so when I figure it out it should run better than ever.

Not sure what I want next in the garage. A lift like you have or AC. I will go look at a lift next week to see if I can use it and get a price I am willing to pay.

94touring

MiniDave

A/C has saved my butt many times, but the lift is what I really use - I think you need both, actually!  ;D

OK, just for the heck of it, squirt some ether or something down it and make sure it's not a fuel issue.....the filter can be full but if the seat is stuck not letting gas into the carb it won't run.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

A couple portable ac units aren't that pricey.  The kind that roll on wheels.  With a long enough vent hose you can take it anywhere with you in the shop.  Maybe you could do both. 

MiniDave

He'd be smarter in the long run to just go with a good window unit, since he doesn't need heat like I do he can get up to 25K BTUs and that will really make it pleasant to work in the shop.....

But I think I spoiled him with my lift, not having to sit on the ground or be bent like a pretzel to reach stuff is nice on our old backs.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So Willie B, tell me the car is running now?  8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Willie_B

It started and ran on 3 cylinder for about 15 seconds Tuesday. Just pulled the carb to give it a quick going over just to eliminate it. Between all the other stuff i have going i only have a few hours a week to work on it.

MiniDave

Pretty much what it did at my house too......be sure to look at the O-ring for the choke - it does have an HIF carb, right?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

IT LIVES!  50.gif

Have the dist., coil, wires and all that I had the problem with. I could finally get spark but it would not start. So I was still just eliminating things I decided to drain the gas tank and lines and add fresh gas. The day the car died was the only day that I had rain and the area I was in had been having a good bit of rain before. I thought maybe wet gas. Car fired right up with the new gas. Still no idea on why the no spark that was the original issue. Next I will install the other dist. (elec. 59D) and set it up for use as a spare.

Now to clean the car up for a local car show Saturday.

94touring

MiniDave

Yep, they won't run on water......

Congrats on getting it going! I know we weren't mistaken about the no spark or very weak spark we had in the garage. I'm hoping the 123 just got wet too, and when it dried out it was good again...

Spare dizzy is a great idea.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Perhaps the plugs were about shot if they were being flooded with watered down fuel, hence the poor looking spark. Best thing about those electric 59d's is they're not even expensive!