Caught a bad one

Started by ADRay, June 19, 2015, 01:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

got backed into while parked & my head was under the hood by an "impaired" driver

still waiting to hear how repairs are going to hash out...
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Mudhen

94touring

ADRay

just heard from the body shop (assigned by my insurance company to do the estimate).

unfortunately, they deemed themselves unable to fix it themselves, and said to bring it to a British car specially shop.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

If you can do a few spot welds you could probably fix it yourself in a day.  The wing from the photo might not even need to be removed if you can pull it back straight after the Apanel is removed.  Looks like maybe the door hinge panel got tweaked slightly or am I just seeing things from the seam line?

94touring

On 2nd thought, try to pull it all out in one shot.  I think the seam cover made it look like the door was angled out at the bottom. 

Mudhen

Quote from: ADRay on June 22, 2015, 05:21:14 AM
just heard from the body shop (assigned by my insurance company to do the estimate).

unfortunately, they deemed themselves unable to fix it themselves, and said to bring it to a British car specially shop.

Just pop 'round to your local BMC dealer, I'm sure they can recommend someone.   8.gif

Would McLeans be able to give you an estimate for bodywork?  If not, I bet you could go to the guy in Madbury...whose name I can't think of right now.

jedduh01

Take that plastic fender flare off

NEXT

Grab that fender right where that body seam meets the wheel well and SNATCH Outward Very fast.
I think 90% of the problem will be solved with just that .

Then a bodyshop can assess paintwork if needed or any further required "pulling" to pull the fender out.

These days bodyshops are an unbolt = bolt on operation . dont mess with actual BODYWORK

Jims5543

Also look up a paintless dent removal guy and have him look at it. Insurance will pay for him too. 

They work miracles.

Define "impaired driver".  ;D

Like drunk or just stupid.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

ADRay

McLeans recommended a shop in Dover who does a lot of their body work and painting, and have experience with Mini's.

Still waiting to hear about another appraisal of the damage.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

Quote from: Jims5543 on June 23, 2015, 05:00:21 PM

Define "impaired driver".  ;D

Like drunk or just stupid.

not sure what the guy was up to, I thought he'd been drinking (why I even called the cops)

police report states arrested for DUI
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Mudhen

Quote from: ADRay on June 25, 2015, 03:37:57 PM
McLeans recommended a shop in Dover who does a lot of their body work and painting, and have experience with Mini's.

Still waiting to hear about another appraisal of the damage.

Interested in hearing who that is - a couple in Kittery that has an old Mini (my wife met them at the gym) had a bunch of bodywork done on their car last  year in Dover, too...gotta be the same place.

(funny story - my wife came home the other day and said, 'hey, forgot to tell you....last week I saw an old Mini on my way to work - it was black with a flag on the roof'.  Frickin' wives...I told her all about your car after the Rye show last year - she probably heard none of it.   11.gif )

ADRay

& I forgot to tell you I passed her (her car at least) last week
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998