2 Year old Hard Drive failed

Started by Jims5543, May 14, 2015, 05:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

My server hard drive failed last night, it was a 2 year old Western Digital 1TB drive.

Thank god I had 2 of them, the second one was used as a nightly backup drive. I had programmed the server to backup every work night at midnight.

Last night did not back up, I was able to restore the backup this afternoon and hobble the office into something that works.

I ordered a Samsung Solid State drive from Amazon and will be here Friday, I also ordered another Western Digital drive and will install that as a backup.

I also ordered a Samsung 250GB external Drive with the idea that my Drafter back up everything important every Monday morning.

I used to run tape backups weekly back in the old day rotating 4 tapes so one was always at my house, just in case, I am either going to set up a offsite backup service or start doign that with some external drives again.

I lost just about nothing, so that is good, the hassle of repopulating and configuring new hard drives sucks.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

FYI - Amazon offers cloud storage for free (up to 5 GB) or you can pay $60 a year for unlimited storage space.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson