80's hits

Started by Mudhen, May 01, 2015, 04:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Alright, so maybe 94 is a little too young for this...but I just downloaded some of my 80's favorites and thinking some of you guys probably have some.

Del Fuegos - I still want you (and not just because my kids watched Dan Zane videos):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0bAX_iQ2rY

And I also just downloaded Rick Springfield - Love Somebody:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIVYW977GVM

I think my wife might leave me for him if she ever gets the chance.   22.gif

(as usual, now back to the drunk thread)

94touring

I was born in the 70s.  But generally I hate 80s music. 

94touring

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

This guy was actually pretty cool, I loved the Avalon album...

This  cut is somehow mesmerizing to watch....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib4-Lyxxyw0

Avalon....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpA_5a0miWk

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

In the 80's I was into the alternative, surfer, punk rock scene.  The music would piss most of you off so I will refrain from posting any.

Some mainstream.

The Clash
The Ramones
The Cure
Adam and the Ants
Talking heads

Then the weird shit and less popular.

Dead Kenedies
The Smiths (Morrisey broke away solo eventually)
Siouxsie and the Banshies
Sex Pistols
Suicidal Tendencies
Sonic Youth

I loved U2, when War came out I feel that was their real last great raw album, they went too mainstream after that and I kind of ignored them after that. I had their early albums, Boy, October and of course War.  Man, I loved the original old school U2.  A friend in my Vocational School, named Carey Sweat (I remember his name to this day, coolest dude ever) turned me on to them, I was hooked.

Then they turned into the pinnacle yuppie band of the 80's and I was just kind of turned off, they were good no doubt, just not my scene at that point in my stupid young rebellious life.

There was a lot of good, not mainstream music in the 80's for sure. 

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Quote from: Mudhen on May 01, 2015, 04:28:50 PM

I think my wife might leave me for him if she ever gets the chance.   22.gif

Did you see him on Californication?  He was really funny. He kept using his fame to try to get laid.

Only scene I can find.

https://youtu.be/7PZkHDbKAcM
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

I was just trolling a friends daughter with a video on her IG account and remembered 2 other bands that were big (in my alternative world) in the 80's.

Information Society

and 'Till Tuesday who I saw live in Cocoa Beach at Brassy's bar before it was bulldozed in the 90's.

I loved the haunting sound of the Smiths... How soon is now...  there!! I shared one of my shitty songs....

https://youtu.be/pEq8DBxm0J4

Jims5543

Damn... sorry guys. I broke my no posting when drinking rule last night. I apologize for the retardedly long post. I think I will edit it down.

94touring

Mudhen

:D

I didn't know anyone had posted in this thread...lol.  You guys are all whacked!   4.gif

Not 80's music, but got a call yesterday that I won tickets to see Dawes today at a little radio station show/interview.  Should be pretty neat...  62.gif

Jims5543

Never heard of them googled them watched a you tube video. (a little bit of everything) Reminded me of Billy Joel.

Then listened to Most People.  They have a nice sound.

jeff10049

Damn you! spent hours looking through old albums and listening to cool shit.
Where to start the 80s literally defined a lot of the genres we have today. I think the 80's get associated with a pop dance type of music by many  when there was so much more going on.

For me bands like Metallica, Pantera, Tesla, Red Rider, REM, STP, Beastie boys,Twisted Sister, Autograph,  was what I was listening to.

However I have always liked most all music and was also into the not so mainstream shit like.

Depach Mode, Relnado and the Loaf, Wall of Voodo.

Lets not forget the first ever mtv video 1981, Video Killed the Radio Star-The Buggles

Also all the cool bands that formed in the 80s but did not really have hits until the 90's like
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Sound Garden, Alice and Chains, Offspring, Smashing pumpkins.

And for you Jim liker of weird shit  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3MbVoLYns

Jims5543

Solid post Jeff, all good bands.... except for that You tube link.  ;D

It was not that I was into weird shit, it was more of where I was personally at in my life in the 80's. I graduated HS in 1984 promptly moved from Long Island to Florida, then took that summer off, bought a surfboard and learned to surf.

A local radio station was a College Station Florida Institute of Technology was the next town over. FIT had a great radio station that played nothing but punk / surfer music. So that is what I ended up being into.

My first friends made were all surfers. I could tell fun stories for days. Best summer of my young life. If I could go back and do it over again I would not do it any differently.

The Beastie Boys reminded me, they got their big break in a Movie called Crush Groove. It was a Rap movie featuring Run DMC and put many smaller artists in the spotlight. the Beastie Boys were kind of a joke a in the movie but their popularity exploded after that movie. So did LL Cool J, and the Fat boys.

While I was not a huge fan or rap, I hate it now,yeah, I am going to say it, in the good old days of Run DMC, I liked them, I thought it was cool they used hard guitar riffs in their "songs".

Jims5543

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion". In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and, uh, "Against All Odds".  But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is "Sussudio", a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Jims5543

Quote from: Jims5543 on May 07, 2015, 06:04:42 PM
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion". In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and, uh, "Against All Odds".  But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is "Sussudio", a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Just so you guys do not think I have lost my mind or that I am posting drunk again.

This Semi NWS link explains it all.

https://youtu.be/pmTyizVfCng

Merlin

WHY DOES THIS THREAD STILL EXIST!!!!!!

Engineering the Impossible

MiniDave

Cause the '80's are popular again?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

Quote from: Merlin on May 08, 2015, 09:06:57 AM
WHY DOES THIS THREAD STILL EXIST!!!!!!

22.gif

FIT?  The owner of FIT was a good friend of my dads (he had MGs).  He also owned a small college near us in NH - 'Hawthorne College'.  They had a little flight program there and every year gave a senior at our high school a full boat scholarship.  Had hoped it would be me until they went out of business my senior year.   ::)

Dawes was awesome - only about 20 people in a little studio.  They sang 3 songs and answered some questions:

Lets keep this thread rolling - don't listen to Merlin!   71.gif

Merlin

Engineering the Impossible

MiniDave

Uhhh, uploaded in 2011, hardly an 80's hit is it?   8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

I had to look it up and see when the Chemical Brothers got their start, they have been around a long time except they are really a 90' s band.

I love all kinds of music, from classic rock to old school rap, country, even electronic music. Hell, I listen to a EDM station on Sirius more than any other station.

I love The Chemical Brothers as well as Daft Punk and Deadmau5. <-- auto spell actually had that in my phone lol.

I learned this morning that the Chemical Brothers helped produce The Prodigy's first album in 1989. Released in 1990.

jeff10049

Phil Collins yep another good one, speaking of run DMC rap was good back in the day had talent I didn't listen to much of it but could respect it. Not now it's just  bunch of no talent ass clowns.

Always liked this one where run DMC got together with Aerosmith and did walk this way, I like it better than the original. I have heard that this gave Aerosmith a much needed boost in their career, perhaps saved them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM0Fl2MnV5Y

(edit)
Guess I should not make a blanket statement that all newer rap consist of no talent ass clowns.

Bands like Korn, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit. Could all be considered rap and are good.

It's I guess what I would call the hip hop style of rap that's mostly gone to shit all they do now is talk about popin caps in yo ass. I don't get it.