Fishing advice Marathon FL

Started by tsumini, February 11, 2015, 07:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsumini

Our annual Florida trip is in Marathon the first week in Mar. My son wants to go Tarpon fishing but sounds like a little bit too early. We're considering other wreck/offshore/ reef. Can anyone recommend a good charter outfit around Marathon? Hopefully will not take my money if they know they won't catch anything. Probably just two. Jim are you fisherperson?
Thanks

Jims5543

Quote from: tsumini on February 11, 2015, 07:56:23 PM
Our annual Florida trip is in Marathon the first week in Mar. My son wants to go Tarpon fishing but sounds like a little bit too early. We're considering other wreck/offshore/ reef. Can anyone recommend a good charter outfit around Marathon? Hopefully will not take my money if they know they won't catch anything. Probably just two. Jim are you fisherperson?
Thanks

No I do not fish. If it was named catching I may be interested in this hobby but alas, it is indeed called fishing and does not interest me. I actually grew up fishing in the great south bay of Long Island and by the time I was 16, probably caught more fish than most men do their entire life. My dad was big into fishing, he always took me because I drove mom crazy with my hyper active energy around the house. So it seemed like a good idea to coop me up on a 16' boat.  One flounder trip, and there were many, 3 of us pulled 146 flounder out of a hole in one morning.  We mostly fished to put food on the table back in those days, we were at the very bottom of lower middle class. The boat was to be junked my dad got it for free and worked on it for a year to make it sea worthy.

To your question:

First week of March, has been noted, I will ask a few friends tomorrow that go down there all the time to fish (without me) who to use for a charter and will have you an answer by weeks and.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

tsumini

Thanks for your time. much appreciated.

MiniDave

Where do you stay on Marathon? We stayed at Tranquility Bay- wonderful place!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Quote from: MiniDave on February 11, 2015, 10:54:08 PM
Where do you stay on Marathon? We stayed at Tranquility Bay- wonderful place!
My wife makes all travel arrangements so I don't know much other than we have five couples so we rented a five BR house somewhere near Marathon.

Jims5543

Near Marathon is a broad stroke find out which key you are on. I found some awesome rental homes not far from marathon  (where I stayed last summer) and will share with you for future  visits when I am on a PC.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

http://www.walkaboutretreat.com/

These are the folks we use when we go down. They have some remarkable properties and are very easy to deal with.

tsumini

Quote from: Jims5543 on February 15, 2015, 10:05:55 AM
http://www.walkaboutretreat.com/

These are the folks we use when we go down. They have some remarkable properties and are very easy to deal with.
That's some nice places. We allready have a place so can't change. My wife has a rule that she won't even contact any place that doesn't say what their rates are.