The shop is no more

Started by 94touring, February 04, 2015, 12:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Just got word the shop is being sold.  So...I've got to find space to store all my parts, tools, and a couple cars.   I was planning on this happening more towards spring/summer so caught me a bit off guard.   

Merlin

Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Well I've been winding down operations as is, but wasn't expecting to scramble, especially while I'm trying to finish off the maroon car.  I'll be crazy busy this year with actual work anyways.   I have this one red shell/parts that was torn into that may go up for sale now.  Has a 1275 and just needs to be welded back together again.

Jims5543

That is some reasonable rent, I am paying $6 a square foot here.

Sucks to have to make a move in a hurry, especially in the winter.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

towjoe

The alternatives look good . Are you sure you have to move? I don't know about your property.
Thing happen for the best.
Regards
Joe

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on February 04, 2015, 12:07:16 PM
Just got word the shop is being sold.  So...I've got to find space to store all my parts, tools, and a couple cars.   I was planning on this happening more towards spring/summer so caught me a bit off guard.

Rent from new owner for a couple more months maybe?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

We had talked about me moving out in the spring, which was what I had in mind.  I'll just have to deal with it for now.   I may rent shop space at some point in the future, but for now just want to get the maroon car done and things stored.  I'm just going to be too busy to think about paint and body for the year.   

minifrisco

ohhhh!.. I was looking into buying a few paneling for my mini.

94touring

I still have panels that need to be sold and can still special order what I don't have!

minifrisco

Awesome!. Will place an order soon.

94touring

Yeah buy something lol.  Once fall and winter hit I notice sales come to a hault.  Spring is right around the corner though.   

94touring

Spent the last couple days moving thanks to help from "Merlin". 

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Storage!   I'll be looking for shop space in the spring.  I need to get through work testing before I can dedicate time to getting a place to play with my toys.   

velopackrat

Just caught this thread.  Man, moving sucks.  Sorry to hear it.  But I suppose w/ storage-for-now you'll have the chance to be selective in a new spot?  Anyway, thanks again for providing a forum for us freaks.

94touring

I've been researching new space.  The shop I used was owned by a buddy from years ago that use to help pickup the cars I imported.  He himself has a mini that I imported, which we were planning on refurbing.  He had actually tore into it about two summers ago, but got busy and lost interest.  I may buy the car back from him at some point depending on timing.  His direction in life has since changed to get back into farming and the hay business, which has been the game plan since this past fall when we discussed either expanding the shop, or me having to make my exit to another area since they'd need it for farm equipment.  He decided to sell his current property and look for a big acreage of land somewhere way north.  A bit of an inconvenience for me, however he was generous enough to let me use shop space for several years which has been a real blessing.  It's been a great setup for me, as I own a condo in a highrise downtown.  The downside to this is I have no garage to move my crap into!  I suddenly find myself on the street with 5 cars to deal with, and only 1 parking spot I own where I live.  Simultaneously, my time and money is tied up till the spring to really be able to get all this sorted.  Luckily that isn't too far away.  Probably would have held off on buying this last mini a couple weeks ago had I known this was going to happen, lol.  The other thing that is concerning to me is my schedule will be making a drastic change in April.  I currently have very cush schedules if I desire, but will get the bottom of the barrel schedules in April.  Plus, to top this off, I have to find a place to live in NYC for a period of time also while I'm on the east coast for my job.  I commute back and forth to Philadelphia already, but only require a few hotels a month.  Needless to say, I'm busy.  The forum will keep on living, so no worries there.