1960 Austin 850 Project

Started by tsumini, May 22, 2014, 06:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

There should be a clip for the speedo cable in a hole in the center of the firewall under the carb.

tsumini

Apparently for got to attach the photo. is it the round hole i see below the cable in the photo?

Jimini II

Yes there is a clip that slides in the hole to secure it with the outer piece holding the cable in place.

tsumini

Thanks for that. I was unaware there was a clip. Found one at Somerford for about a pound but by the time I order, get it shipped shipping charges etc...
I think i can adapt a trailer frame clip from Graingers.

tmsmini

I may have one you can have. I just have to find it.

cstudep

Do you still have a link to the one you found on Somerford? I would be curious to know what it looks like.

MiniDave

I have never heard of the speedo cable changing the mixture! You learn something new every day.....and I always thought that clip was there to keep the cable off the exhaust. I usually just zip tie the cable back to whatever I can find if I don't have the clip. Although, most of the cars I have use the HIF style carbs, so there's no jet hanging down like on the HS style.....

Part no on the clip is 5L90 in metal, or AFU2770 in plastic. However, I see 7 Ent sells the metal one under the plastic one's part number, so it could be the plastic one is NLA.......

https://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/instruments-centre-1959-85
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Thanks Dave, I think the metal clip would probably be preferable based on what it is doing and where it is located. I currently have the speedo cable as well as the throttle cable zip tied to things to keep them where they need to be, but was curious what the "official part" looked like.

tsumini

Quote from: cstudep on March 18, 2021, 09:17:17 AM
Do you still have a link to the one you found on Somerford? I would be curious to know what it looks like.
https://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/catalog/all-products?keywords=5l90
Here's the link. I just brought it up again. I would prefer the AFU2770 but unavailable apparently.

tsumini

Quote from: tmsmini on March 18, 2021, 08:11:05 AM
I may have one you can have. I just have to find it.
Thanks I would appreciate that.

tsumini

Quote from: MiniDave on March 18, 2021, 09:28:39 AM
I have never heard of the speedo cable changing the mixture! You learn something new every day.....and I always thought that clip was there to keep the cable off the exhaust. I usually just zip tie the cable back to whatever I can find if I don't have the clip. Although, most of the cars I have use the HIF style carbs, so there's no jet hanging down like on the HS style.....

Part no on the clip is 5L90 in metal, or AFU2770 in plastic. However, I see 7 Ent sells the metal one under the plastic one's part number, so it could be the plastic one is NLA.......

https://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/instruments-centre-1959-85
Not exactly sure if it changes mixture or how but the effect of removing the fouling when on choke was significant. I presumed that it was sideloading the jet so the needle was displaced was enough to alter the mixture. Kinda goes with the fact that the engine ran excellent when hot and the choke was stowed. I've tied it off with a string temporarily. I also increased the mixture and it does start better. Now I have to set it at hot idle.

tmsmini

It was not where I thought it might be, will require some more digging.

tsumini

Ok I looked a little at a couple of auto parts stores but didn't find anything suitable. May have to order from 7 ENT

tmsmini

Pretty sure this it, had dig thru a few bins, send me your address if it looks correct

bob01b

Not sure if this is original, but on my 63, a rubber plug was added on top of the clip which seals the bulkhead nicely.  Also, my speedo cable, which is a standard length, will not fit in the clip without pulling the cable out of its natural line so I don't try to clip it in.

MiniDave

You can buy longer speedo cables, you know?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: bob01b on March 21, 2021, 06:25:30 PM
Not sure if this is original, but on my 63, a rubber plug was added on top of the clip which seals the bulkhead nicely.  Also, my speedo cable, which is a standard length, will not fit in the clip without pulling the cable out of its natural line so I don't try to clip it in.

I like the rubber plug idea. Been wanting to block that hole in the moke after putting the clip in.

tsumini

Quote from: tmsmini on March 21, 2021, 04:49:51 PM
Pretty sure this it, had dig thru a few bins, send me your address if it looks correct
That looks correct. I'll send a message with my address.
I appreciate this.

tsumini

Quote from: Willie_B on March 21, 2021, 07:24:21 PM
Quote from: bob01b on March 21, 2021, 06:25:30 PM

I like the rubber plug idea. Been wanting to block that hole in the moke after putting the clip in.
Yeah like this idea too. Lowes has a selection of plastic plugs that shouild work.

tmsmini

Clip is ready to be mailed.
You might also look into one of these speedo adapters. They were used on a few BMC cars. You have to make sure it has the right ends as I bought one for a B by accident.
It changes the angle that the cable comes out of the speedo.

Jimini II

Quote from: tmsmini on March 22, 2021, 09:43:57 AM
You might also look into one of these speedo adapters. They were used on a few BMC cars. You have to make sure it has the right ends as I bought one for a B by accident.

That makes a lot of sense.
I have seen float bowls with grooves worn into them from rubbing speedometer cables.

tsumini

Quote from: tmsmini on March 22, 2021, 09:43:57 AM
Great. I may look at the one from Moss for Austin etc.

tsumini

Decided to figure out why the gas gage wasn't reading right.
It was parked on E but pegged to F when I turned ignition on. Filling tank didn't change anything and bench check before install was good.
Checked wiring and it checked right so didn't expect swapping connections would help. After the last fill up I looked in the tank and saw the float was submersed when it should have been floating. So I re-checked float installation and found that the whole tank unit had been clocked by one screw hole. Hole marked TOP was mis-indexed so that the posts on the tank unitwere not positioned correctly. The posts are essentially limiting posts for Empty and Full and control the full travel of the float. Since the tank was nearly empty I was able to loosen the tank unit and index it to the next hole. reindexing was successful and ignition ON it showed about 1/4 full. Reaching into the tank with a hook and pulling it up close to the top had the gage reading 3/4 full so it looks like the gage should be fairly accurate.
Hopefully the gasket will not leak since I re-used it.

Another case of most problems caused by original installation error.

tsumini

Quote from: tmsmini on March 21, 2021, 04:49:51 PM
That looks correct. If you still have and it's not too late I would appreciate having it. I thought I could come op with a workable one but the best I found ws a plastic doyble stick tape thing. I 'll maeesage you my address.

tmsmini

Just have to find it. I have been sorting through stuff and probably moved it from where it was last time.
Terry