A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

A little more than six years ago I purchased an Optima AGM battery for my R53 Cooper S because the existing one in there was about six years old and I wanted to replace it proactively before it caused any problems. (I have a practice of rotating old batteries from the R53 into my classic Mini where they live on for years more by using a battery maintainer). The new Optima cost $162 back in Sept 2017. I just checked the current price of the same battery and it is now $300! Holy cow! Love this inflation!

So, change of plans. I'm not gonna be buying a new one simply because the old one is six years old.

Looks like six-year-old battery in my MINI and the 12 year old battery in my classic Mini will be getting the full battery maintainer treatment to live on indefinitely. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

cstudep

To add insult to injury the quality isn't what they used to be either. They used to be made in Colorado. I had several that were well used and still have one that has got to be close to 15 years old now. When they switched manufacturing to Mexico I had 3 that didn't last over 4 years.

You are probably wondering why/how I would need so many batteries, well I worked for the company that used to make them back then and we were allowed to buy 3 a year at cost, which was about $70. Needless to say I bought batteries for every family member I have and many friends.....after I had all I needed of course.

94touring

My wife just replaced the battery on her BMW, it was around $600

Brit_in_TX

Batteries seem to have sky rocketed in price. In 2022 I replaced the battery in my truck for $180, late last year I drained it (left an accessory on accidentally for 5 days) - the replacement was going to be $250.  This was the same brand/store everything.

Ultimately I did get it replaced under warranty, but that price increase was shocking in less than 18 months.

BruceK

Let's say you really want to drive a classic Jaguar. Like the Jaguar XJ6 of the late 60s and early 70s. The epitome of Britishness.

But luxury, refinement, and elegance aren't that important to you. You just want dead nuts reliability and great fuel economy.

Have I got a solution for you!   Yes, it's the best of both worlds!  :undecided:

All the fantastic looks of the Jaguar (front end anyway) and all the boring practicality of a Corolla wagon. Together in one car!!!  😁
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

And it can be yours for only about $12K delivered from Japan to the USA.

For me, it's the brown vinyl seat covers that seal the deal!  :)

More photos - if you have a strong stomach - below.

https://www.beforward.jp/toyota/corolla-wagon/bp698967/id/6132934/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Brit_in_TX

BruceK

So...  my once-a-week bathing routine is entirely justified!   :13:
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Brit_in_TX

These are just as ugly in real life!

The paint was interesting, with the "flip" from blue to purple.

MiniDave

Odd looking for sure, and they seem even weirder when you see them going down the road. I wonder of that was one of the factory expensive wraps or an aftermarket? I like the blue, the purple not so much......Should be super easy car (truck?) to wrap.

$240 a year to wash your car? I used to belong to one of these club deals, but then it was $169 a year - we used it maybe 6 times so that cost $28 a wash. They did a good job tho. We still go there but now we just pay as we go, and it's less than $20 each time

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I saw two CyberTrucks at a C&C this morning. Wrapping it seems the way to go because the plain stainless really,  really shows fingerprints and smudges like crazy.  Of course, both trucks had crowds around them, but I bet that kind of interest will diminish greatly in the coming months.  I can't really imagine anyone buying one to use as a truck.  Well, as a work truck, I mean.  They're really more like having an exotic car. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Wonder how much it costs to insure one of these?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on March 09, 2024, 11:36:36 AMWonder how much it costs to insure one of these?

I'm guessing substantially more than a regular truck. I guess there isn't a big concern about theft like there is with a regular pick up, but any accident damage is got to be very expensive to deal with.

I've never looked into it, but I'm guessing that a regular Tesla sedan is more expensive to insure than a comparable Lexus or Mercedes.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I had to uber in a Tesla this week and noticed the steering wheel was peeling like a shedding snake.  Made me think they're pretty cheaply built.

Brit_in_TX

Tesla's used values are terrible, EVs in general do not hold great value but Tesla's are some of the worst. Also Tesla slashing the new prices did not help.

The build quality of older Teslas is bad as they were constructed by hand.  It only started improving when they got their automated factories online which was about 4 years ago.

Brit_in_TX

At the weekend I had a discovery flight from a local airport.  I knew the plane would be small, but I did not expect a mini to feel roomier!

94touring

That's cool.  I got my private in a 152, which probably isn't much bigger than that thing.

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: 94touring on March 11, 2024, 07:57:55 AMThat's cool.  I got my private in a 152, which probably isn't much bigger than that thing.

It was awesome fun, just wish I had more time to pursue getting my Private.

94touring

I caught my logbook up this past week. I was over 4 years behind.  I'm sitting right at 10.5k hours.  I've got 1400 on the Triple 7 now.  I've come a long ways since the 152!  I remember getting lost on my first solo cross country and being stressed beyond belief lol. 

MiniDave

I used to fly with my brother as he was building his hours. We took a 152 from Long Beach to Fresno, my brother and I are about the same size (I was a lot thinner then!) but I still had to sit almost sideways! At one point I looked down and realized the trucks on hiway 99 were going faster than we were! We had a pretty good headwind and had to stop for gas before we got to Fresno! When we got to Fresno, the entire valley was socked in (typical California central valley winter weather) and we were on VFR only, we had to descend thru thick soup to almost 500 ft before we broke into the clear again......that was major heart thumping stuff!

Another time we were coming back from SFO along the coast in a nice Piper Archer (4 place) and thank dog my brother's eyesight is better than mine as he had to take emergency maneuvers as a plane was on our altitude coming straight at us. We didn't miss by a whole lot!

This flying stuff is for the birds!!!! 

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

I had an assistant tonight.

Getting her interested early!

MPlayle