Finally purchased a Mini....

Started by Jims5543, November 05, 2013, 02:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

If it is that easy to change out an oil pump I might give it a try.

I almost broke down on my way home this evening. Lost power over 4K RPM but she ran o.k. down low so I had to short shift her.

I was only 2 miles from the house so I took it easy and got her tucked back int he garage.

Started a project thread as I get ready to tear into her and get her sorted out.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on January 20, 2014, 08:35:29 PM
If it is that easy to change out an oil pump I might give it a try.

No, unfortunately, I was just joking...I thought the engine would have to come out but supposedly it can be done by removing the clutch cover, flywheel, and transmission cover, without complete removal of engine/tranny.  No experience attempting it, though.

94touring

Pulling the engine isn't too bad though.   Good time to do the shift seal kit too.   

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on January 21, 2014, 05:37:47 AM
Pulling the engine isn't too bad though.   Good time to do the shift seal kit too.

Do you think it would be structurally a real bad idea to cut out the metal where the hood latches/top of the grill (not sure what the real name for it is) so the engine could slide out a lot easier without all the tipping, etc?  Then just set it up to bolt back in of course...

94touring

The slam panel?  I've never had a problem with that being in my way.  You can also simply lift the car off the subframe, then work on the engine from there. 

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on January 21, 2014, 07:12:48 AM
The slam panel?  I've never had a problem with that being in my way.  You can also simply lift the car off the subframe, then work on the engine from there.

Things you say are simple aren't always for everyone you know...hated getting the motor in/out having to rotate it down through between the slam panel and the firewall.  But still think I liked it better than the whole subframe thing.  Pretty sure I read somewhere that cutting the slam panel is a big no-no, though.

Jims5543

Ready for the field tomorrow. Wish it was lettered up. Guy that is supposed to do it is MIA.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Jims5543

It was a fun day running around in Stimpy (what I named her)

She has tons of pep now and will break a tire loose if you hit second too hard.   ;D

My vinyl guy was supposed to call me to meet up this afternoon, once again he is MIA.... I am going to take the vinyl from him and put it on myself.

94touring

Gotta be good for business  4.gif

Mudhen

That's an awesome looking truck right there.   4.gif

Jims5543

I guess figured out that my gas gauge does not work....the hard way.

I was a mile from the house so I had Mime run me over  a half gallon I had in the shed for the lawn mower. I then put 6.7 gallons in her at the gas station.

A guy I met in town with a honda engine swapped mini stopped to offer help and to chat.

94touring

I lost track how many times I ran out lol.  One of my drives I had a 5 gallon can in the back because the route I was on I couldn't make it from station to station.

Jims5543

Finally hooked up with my buddy that does vinyl work. Had to meet him while he was working on a used car lot in a Buick Dealership. About 1/2 the sales staff stopped by to chat it up over the truck, some knew what it was a couple had no idea, one asked if it was a kit car.

94touring

I like the tribute, very cool man.