Finally purchased a Mini....

Started by Jims5543, November 05, 2013, 02:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

Great looking Mini.....LOVE your old FD. I had a couple FC's, loved them.....I had an '88 SE and also had a '91 Turbo II....Would love to have another one in the future, probably an 89-91 Turbo II Vert.

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on November 15, 2013, 08:21:21 AM
Looks like I am adding a clutch master cylinder to the list....

I took it to work today, I happened to be driving near the house and smelt gas real strong, turned out to be a gas station I was passing and not the Mini.  I decided to head to the house and see if the mini was leaking gas, turned the corner to the house and the clutch pedal went to the floor, looked at my work boot and it is covered in fluid.

My son and I pushed her back into the garage. May as well do the slave while I am at it.

Pretty sure they all do that.

;D

Never knew that about the dipstick tube - just went out and looked and sure enough, the 1100 from my '80 has no tube...and the crosshatch on the block - A+.  The 1275 in my '65 has no crosshatch...with a tube...A.  That's the 1 new thing I'm learning today...guess I can start drinking!   4.gif

Jims5543

That is not my FD that is 94 Touring's.... well, 94 Touring.

I had a black FC with a FD engine swapped into it, then tons of goodies added to that.

This is a pic of the FC next to my RX8 right when I got the RX8, I sold the FC about 6 months ago. Hence the Mini truck now. The RX8 made more sense for me with a kid at home, now I can drive a fun car and take the family in it. The RX7 always sat and never was driven.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Justin

The FC is great looking too and I've always had a soft spot for them. The RX8 does make more sense with a kid. Between the Trabant and the Mini I don't have the space for one right now, but I feel confident I'll have another one.

94touring

Jim you're gona be a mini mechanic in no time lol.  Sounds like this truck sat around a lot up until now.  Once you work some of the initial kinks out and keep it driving you'll have minimal issues. 

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on November 15, 2013, 06:04:55 PM
Jim you're gona be a mini mechanic in no time lol.  Sounds like this truck sat around a lot up until now.  Once you work some of the initial kinks out and keep it driving you'll have minimal issues.

Yeah, I think that is what is going on here, I have a car that sat unloved for a lot of years.  Once I get my shopping list filled (thank you for helping me with that Dan) I think she will be a solid little driver.

What is amazing me is how cheap parts are, this is coming from a guy who has a Mazdaspeed Membership, for those of you that do not know, prove to Mazda you race in at least 2 timed SCCA events a year (Autocross) and you can keep a Mazdaspeed Membership, this entitles you to 50% or better discounts for every part you need to keep your car running and racing.

Also, if you have never owned a Porsche (I had a 1980 911) I can only say it is not for the faint of heart. A rear brake caliper is $350. Oil change takes 15 quarts of Mobile 1. etc.....

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I am pretty lucky to have access to parts at wholesale cost and skip the middle man.  It's going to be good for anyone who buys from me as I start adding to the store too.  Now if I could start flying for fed ex and ship my own parts for free I'd really be set.

Jims5543

I purchased a handle set from Mini Mania, forgetting I have Aussie doors, so the window winders do not match. Not 110% sure how I can make them work. I might try to modify the new ones.

Good news is I really needed the door handle on the inside so the window handles are not an emergency.  Though I would like it all to match.

Here is a blurry picture I took with a toaster.

94touring

Since they don't work on your doors, I think we should trade doors.  113.gif

Jims5543

I am very frustrated right now.

I thought I was ordering this clutch master for a 1978 Mini.

I had to agree the sale was final and this is what I got:

I opened the box up looking forward to a Friday after T-day project only to find I have the wrong master.

dammit...

I do not know why I bothered buy I ordered the "right" master from them and now have to eat this one.

If anyone needs this style let me know I will cut you a deal.

94touring

Doh!  You need gmc1008, guess who has one ordered already?

Jims5543

If you want this one for your stock say the word and I will send it to you Dan.

I really wanted to put her back on the road next week.

94touring

I think it's for a sprite and/or midget.   8.gif

Mudhen

Maybe you could make a nice planter out of it...

That sucks.  Are the metal ones being made again?  Years ago I had to buy a new one for my '65 - crappy plastic one sure looked awful but it was all I could get...

I've got 5 different searches saved now for used karts...seems all the good ones are $1500+ and nowhere near us.  This is the most promising:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131055710927?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Rough, but at least would get us going.  They'll be helmets, neck braces, and suits under the tree...(I didn't want to buy that battery box and door repair panels this year anyway).

94touring

They still make the metal cans, though twice as expensive as the plastic ones.

Jims5543

Correct Master Clutch cylinder installed!

2 points of contention -

1 - the outside 13mm nut that is in the engine bay was easy to remove, the other one, WTF!! While I could get a shorty 13mm wrench on it, one of those new ratcheting swiveling ones would have been the trick (I now own a set of Husky brand ones from Home Depot.

2 - Working under the dash..... I removed the drivers seat for better access. Taking it apart was easy, getting the damn pin back in then the cotter pi into that was the fun.

It was nice to driver her again though, ran some errands with it Saturday. I also taped the start up and the knock lasted a really long time, since it sat so long. I also was alarmed by how long it took the oil pressure to come back up. As soon as it got pressure the knocking stopped.

Video in the next day or so, I am on my travel netbook. Not so sure it can handle video uploading etc.

Jims5543

BTW - I ended up with a plastic reservoir and to be honest, prefer it, now I can glance at it and see if the level is low, if I could see it before I would have known I had a problem brewing.

Do I need a new engine?

94touring

It knocks that loudly for a full minute before the oil pressure comes up and it goes away?

94touring

OH by the way I boxed up your parts today.  I hope you have a good back, I can barely carry it its so heavy.

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on December 15, 2013, 05:46:29 PM
OH by the way I boxed up your parts today.  I hope you have a good back, I can barely carry it its so heavy.

The second the oil pressure rises the knock goes away.
My guess is a connecting rod bearing.

I will shoot an under hood video with shoud so you can hear the RPM band under load.

94touring

So it takes a minute for the oil pressure to rise?  Should just be a few seconds.

Jims5543

With this car when driving weekley it takes about 10-15 seconds to get oil pressure.

Because is was sitting for 2-3 weeks and not running I would say 1 minute before pressure happened.

Think I have a problem? LOL!!

I guess I better move on that engine I found.

94touring

Deans mini that was in the shop getting paint, his oil pressure would take awhile before coming up, and the pump actually died when he was driving it home last year.  He didn't have that loud knock though.  I suppose you could pull the head and see what's going on. 

94touring

Quote from: Jims5543 on December 15, 2013, 04:19:53 PM
Correct Master Clutch cylinder installed!

2 points of contention -

1 - the outside 13mm nut that is in the engine bay was easy to remove, the other one, WTF!! While I could get a shorty 13mm wrench on it, one of those new ratcheting swiveling ones would have been the trick (I now own a set of Husky brand ones from Home Depot.

2 - Working under the dash..... I removed the drivers seat for better access. Taking it apart was easy, getting the damn pin back in then the cotter pi into that was the fun.

It was nice to driver her again though, ran some errands with it Saturday. I also taped the start up and the knock lasted a really long time, since it sat so long. I also was alarmed by how long it took the oil pressure to come back up. As soon as it got pressure the knocking stopped.

Video in the next day or so, I am on my travel netbook. Not so sure it can handle video uploading etc.

I have gaskets for your master, you can take it out again lol.  The rear nut is so so, but the cotter pin can be a bitch.  Wait till you do your first lower radiator hose. 

Mudhen

Isn't most of that noise the valves?  or have you already checked them...

Just drop the oil pan and throw a new oil pump in.  Argh..damn you Sir Alec... :-[